Best Sealant for cooling system?

pup2, May 18, 9:26am
Putting all the pipes and housings back together and having trouble with 1 heater pipe that seals via an O ring (st183 3s-ge celica 89). Heater pipe goes into the thermo housing. Pipe that has the o ring seal around it has seen better days and now I can't get it to stay sealed. Once the engine gets up to running temp, it starts to leak again. Was wondering if any particular sealant would solve the problem!

thunderbolt, May 18, 9:28am
New pipe and o-ring!

pup2, May 18, 9:35am
it's a new seal. Pipe has seen better days but it is still in serviceable condition.

pup2, May 18, 9:42am
$120 for 150g, yea, will order another o ring from gwd. Hopefully the one rip co supplied was just the wrong size. Old one fell to bits when the parts were seperated so couldn't check the sizing
Cheers Peoples

treachug, May 18, 9:48am
Often find the aftermarket o-rings are ever so slightly different in size from genuine OEM, Same scenario with coolant pipe on Holden V6's, pay the extra $2.00 or so, whatever it is & fit genuine & no hassles, fit aftermarket & have to re-do again.

chris_051, May 18, 9:51am
I've use Loctite bluemax (I think, can;t remember the number on it) all the time. Works a treat.

richard198, May 18, 9:18pm
If I wanted an O-ring from Toyota (pipe to water pump union)They will only sell it to you with the water pump and every thing else!
Sounds like that advert on TV!

big.b-lil.c, May 19, 2:08am
make sure you didn't get a imperial size o ring by mistake sometimes they are ALMOST the same size as metric ones

pup2, Mar 8, 6:57pm
1st oring came with new water pump from ripco with only half the gaskets. Called up gwd today and I will have an OEM ring tomorrow am for $6. Sorted