Bleeding cooling system in vl holden

printerhunter, Apr 6, 9:16pm
just replaced the head in my 3l vl commodore and i just got the radiator back from the reconditioners and im just wondering about how to bleed the cooling system as the head is higher than the top of the radiator in these. cheers

ashwattau, Apr 6, 9:28pm

bjmh, Apr 6, 9:52pm
General Motors sold a tool which looks like a gutted radiator cap,with a tube about 200ml long welded to it .you put it on radiator and the tube makes water level high enough.theres a little bleed screw by thermostat,i just fill until water runs out bleed screw,then run engine and bleed any air from same screw.you could probably make a tube out of an old cap

laneyjan, Apr 7, 12:38am
park it up a hillso engine lower.My drive is fine for this

rotormotor7, Apr 7, 8:33am
i used to undo the two top 10mm bolts on the intake/thermostat area(dont know where exactlybut previous owner marked with paint) and use a hose on dribble to top them up.

donz01, Oct 6, 5:09pm
Check on top of the inlet manifold for a small bolt(about 10mm spanner or maybe smaller) and there is also another one at the thermostat. I used to use a straight piece of radiator hoseabout 200mm-300mm long that was a snug fit in the filler neck on the radiator.Bleed thermostat first being the lowest then theone on the intake manifold. They may still have small gold rectangular stickers(labelled Bleed Valve) beside the bolts. Make sure to keep the water level to near the top of the radiator hose untill you have tightened the bleed valves. After they are tight you will only lose what water is still in the hose above the filler neck when you remove the hose to fit the radiator cap.