Help with cooling system

Page 1 / 4
tygertung, Jan 6, 5:10pm
I've seen men who didn't take any notice of the red low oil pressure light.

I really think though that there should be a high water temp red light, as it is easy to not notice if the guage is getting high.

davidk63, Dec 21, 9:38am
Hi, I am not a mechanic and I have a boxer engine, but the warter is not getting through to cool the engine and it is over heating. Can some lovely person tell me what to do please. My hubby is away, and Im stuck. TIA

kazbanz, Dec 21, 9:50am
Im not being flippant here. its VERY simple. Do NOT drive the vehicle take it to a workshop on a truck. OR call a mobile mechanical service to come to the car.

sw20, Dec 21, 10:28am
Christmas and overheating Subarus. Name a more iconic duo.

davidk63, Dec 21, 11:26am
ok Thank you

realtrader1, Dec 21, 11:56am
I persume Subaru though this is not the only boxer engine so make model year cc rating and kms on the clock. Also how many times has this happened and to what level? Overheating and modern engine do not go well. IF the engine has overheated sufficiently it may be too late to help.

franc123, Dec 21, 12:14pm
Overheating has multiple causes, it's a more complex subject than most realise. Realistically if you need to ask it's best to get pro help.

mechnificent, Dec 21, 2:19pm
Wait till it's cooled right down and then take the radiator cap off and check if there's water in there. If it's low fill it up, if/when it is full, run it with the bonnet up and watch the temp gauge, listen for the sound of the fans coming on. They should come on before the temperature gets much above normal. If the gauge is showing hot and they haven't come on then turn it off and wait for it to cool right down, then top up the radiator again if it needs it and then take it to a mechanic or an auto-electrician.

If/when the engine gets hot, and the fans do come on, turn it off and get back to us and report.

gazzat22, Dec 21, 2:21pm
Take the advice on #2 and #6.Dont drive/start it.

mechnificent, Dec 21, 2:23pm
Oh come on Guys, we can be more helpful than that surely.

franc123, Dec 21, 3:15pm
Ahem, saving someone from potentially cooking their engine IS being helpful. What you posted above is all well and good but it's no indication of what might happen once its driven.

lakeview3, Dec 21, 3:18pm
Could be the water pump? I am no mechanic but I overheated my engine when the water pump blew apart.

Pleasing.

Anyhoo, I belong to the AA, and have done for over 30 years, so free tows for me. Very handy. Lol.

Good luck OP. It’s a ***** of a time to have issues with your car at this time of year. I feel for you.

lakeview3, Dec 21, 3:18pm
I just want to add, I wouldn’t drive it either until it’s been looked at.

mechnificent, Dec 21, 3:24pm
I'm a pro.

mechnificent, Dec 21, 3:32pm
Not even telling the lady she should check her water, just take it to a pro. possibly without water in there. that's not good advice.

Some people in here are far too quick to critisise.

kazbanz, Dec 21, 3:41pm
Dude--reread the first post.
You know I'm happy to give mechanical advice but in this case its already been hot a couple of times. So I stand by my advice. Don't drive it. Truck it to a place of repair.

s_nz, Dec 21, 3:42pm
There is a very fine line between overheating the engine, and getting it so hot it is permanently damaged. In your position, the car would be going to a mechanic on the back of a truck.

In terms of potential failures that could be causing the overheating, some possibilities are:

Failed waterpump (nothing pumping water around the cooling loop). - seems to happen all the time on boats.

Failed closed thermostat (Water can't get past the failed thermostat. - In this mode the heater should still work, unlike the prior failure mode).

System not holding pressure - Cooling loop runs at over 100 deg, so needs to be under pressure to avoid fluid boiling - Might notice steam from under bonnet.

Cooling fan failure - sometimes these are electric of belt driven - either way they can fail. They are not needed when traveling at speed, but are required when in traffic, waiting at lights etc. - Have had the solenoid that engages a belt driven cooling fan fail before.

tygertung, Dec 21, 3:43pm
Maybe what would be a good idea is to take off the radiator cap when the engine is cool. If it isn't full up with water pour water in until it is full. Leave the cap off and start the engine, check if there are many bubbles coming out.

Also look at the water and see if it looks oily. Check under the oil cap, and if it looks like a sort of white honey and if the water looks oily, you might have a blown head gasket.

If there are no signs of a blown head gasket, and the water is not leaking out, you might just need a new thermostat. Depending on the model of car, it may be easy to change.

If the water doesn't seem to be flowing around the cooling system, the water pump might be busted. The water level in the radiator should drop a bit when the engine is revved up. If it doesn't the pump might be busted. Also the heater should work when the engine warms up. If it doesn't, there might not be water flow.

mechnificent, Dec 21, 3:48pm
Some people live in the country miles from help, or are too broke to rush off to the experts first thing. First thing we do when a motor overheats is check the water. Then we work from there.

I stand by my advice. as asked for.

mechnificent, Dec 21, 3:53pm
We don't know how hot it got yet. perhaps the gauge only went a little higher than the lady had seen it before.

marte, Dec 21, 3:56pm
Since there's now 2 different posts on the motoring about suby coolant.
Do these engines need to be vacuum filled with coolant?

And can you implode the heater core by using vacuum ( I read that it's possible . dunno. )

Anybody's experiences with vacuum filling with coolant would be appreciated thanks.

mechnificent, Dec 21, 3:57pm
Anyway. I've got a baby swallow sitting on my hand and it needs attention. again. so I'll leave you knockers to it.

I'll look in later David's wife. If you want advice about what to do next.

mechnificent, Dec 21, 3:58pm
No they don't.

franc123, Dec 21, 4:40pm
Who are you talking to? If it was me I said get pro help, never said the car should be driven to wherever to obtain it. This means get it physically examined by someone who can at least get an idea of what has gone wrong. Nobody can conclusively diagnose that problem on a web forum, it's that simple.

kazbanz, Dec 21, 5:09pm
I have a simple question for you.
Are YOU prepared to put your money where your mouth is?
To throw it back -yes I am !
in this very specific case I feel the safest option is to leave it alone and have a mechanic look at it. .
The potential for permanent damage is just too great.