Took the HA out for a nice long drive today

Page 1 / 2
tuttyclan, Jun 14, 10:24am
Went for a nice drive in my 1965 Vauxhall Viva HA.Drove from Manurewa to Kaiawa and back.
Might not sound very far but its the furtherest its been for a while.Took me about 3 hours via Clevedon and I came back via Bombay.

vjregal770, Jun 15, 12:34am
Hey Robin, glad the drive went well.

tuttyclan, Jun 15, 12:50am
Thanks Craig, there were a few suprised people out there who saw the car expecially roadworkers that waved me on.Stopped for a toasted sandwich at NZs best fish and chip shop.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 15, 1:09am
I think you mean Kaiaua.

But thanks for that information. My day is now complete.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 15, 1:10am
If you're meaning the Kaiaua one, no. They're just not that flash now. They used to be 6-7 years ago but not any more.

tuttyclan, Jun 15, 1:16am
Yes Kaiaua (my bad). Did about 90 miles return.
Glad your day is now complete as my day out was a real uplift for me as I have been too busy to do something for 'me'for a while.

tuttyclan, Jun 15, 1:17am
Yeh I know, I just meant that was the one I went to.

tractor9, Jun 15, 5:56am
Onya, nice to see a few old cars on the road.

johnf_456, Jun 15, 6:02am
Cool story

vjregal770, Jun 15, 6:20am
Always *one*, isn't there!

sandypheet, Jun 15, 6:23am
Drove around there myself for the first time 2 weeks ago,nice drive.

morrisman1, Jun 15, 6:24am
We're missing a crucial piece of information Tutty

intrade, Jun 15, 6:25am
me and my mate think the viva HA is infact almost the same car as a opel kaddet A.

tuttyclan, Jun 15, 7:36am
Ok milage is 75609 miles.Not 175609 only 75609 miles from new.When I bought my Viva 20 years ago it had only 52950 original miles.

tuttyclan, Jun 15, 7:45am
They are a copy of the Opel Kadett which is the same one that Richard Hammond drove over the Makgadicgadi Salt Pans.
If little 'Oliver' can go anywhere so can a HA Viva.

woody1946, Jun 15, 7:46am
My mum bought one of those Viva's brand new , the thing I remember about them is they are so light in the back the rear wheels come off the road on the humps. This is on the road around Tokoroa wherethe logging trucks ripple up the tarseal

tuttyclan, Jun 15, 7:58am
Yes they are a bit of fun on uneven surfaces particulary on highway 27where there is some nice bumps can cause some head contact with the headlining at 100k

drog, Jun 15, 7:58am
True story. My SIL had a Viva many years ago. She stopped at a gas station for a fillup, and the car caught fire when she went to leave. The forecourt attendant put out the fire, and offered her a stupid price for the car. My SIL drove a hard bargain, and walked away clutching a wad of dollars. All over in 5 mins she reckoned.

tuttyclan, Jun 15, 8:02am
Yes unfortunally a lot of them went up in smoke because the coil was placed under the petrol pump.When I bought my Viva 20 years ago that was the first little modification I did was to move the coil up onto the inner gaurd.

iman007, Jun 15, 8:06am
oi tutty, you call in clevedon pub, was a cool pub when moike ran it, havnt been in there for a while, maybe next trip, i love it round those parts.Even cooler driving an old car round those parts

lookoutas, Jun 15, 8:07am
Good on ya tut - That's more than I've done in the past month, and the month before that. Didn't go to the Beach Hop, and haven't really been anywhere since!
Not good.
Last outing a month ago, I ran out of gas. Sort'ov got used to driving vehicles that go a lot further on just under half'a tank, and got too cockie!
Maybe I was enjoying it too much. Although - it can never be too much.

tuttyclan, Jun 15, 8:10am
Only the chip shop lol

tuttyclan, Jun 15, 8:13am
Yeh I am looking forward to 'Brits On The Beach in Tairua later in the year.I took the HA last year but I think I will take my 1960 F Series Victor this time

gedo1, Jun 15, 8:17am
That's a great day run - out through Clevedon, Kawakawa Bay through the hills down the coast road to Kaiaua for fussh 'n' chups (or whatever) then down to Miranda for a dip in the hot pools and back to Awk up the motorway.Take your time and enjoy.Great on a mo'cycle but also would have been fun in an HA.Had one when they first came out.Was a real revver for its time.By the way, you have GOT to call into the G.A.S. service station/general store at Kawakawa Bay.It is an experience in hoarding that should not be missed.If you do call in ask yourself what it would be like to do a stocktake!LOL!

lookoutas, Jun 15, 8:21am
You're a sick puppy!
But you're allowed to say I am too. Each to our own isn't it.

Just sorted my rego out tonight on-line, so it ends as close as pos after the Mach's 40th birthday. Did 3 mths, and will do 6 next time, followed by 12, and that's it for full price.