Audi 80 1993 with 2.6 V6/auto/FWD - thoughts?

phillip.weston, Jun 13, 6:52am
hey guys what's your thoughts on the 1993 Audi 80 with the 2.6 V6 auto and FWD! Done approx 175,000kms, came in from Japan in 2000. Has aftermarket 15" alloys and quite tidy. Anything in particular to look out for! What would its approximate value be, I'm guessing approx $2000-2500! Cheers!

lookoutas, Jun 13, 7:12am
The cost of parts should be your biggest 'thought'
I would love an Audi, but once they reach the wear-out stage, they're not nice any more.
And don't prang one and expect to fix it cheap. The cost of parts usually writes them off.

vag.central, Jun 13, 7:41am
ffs you dont know what your talking about again. You dont need to pull the whole front end off, theres more than enough room with the radiator fans removed. They are pretty reliable but suffer from a few faults: hood lining sags, material on the door cards comes un glued, heater cores leak. Check the trans out, make sure the oild is clean and full and that it shifts smoothly. Wouldnt hurt to have the trans oil and diff oil changed

vag.central, Jun 13, 7:42am
I know of a quattro (4wd) one for sale

phillip.weston, Jun 13, 7:57am
To be honest I'm not looking to own it for an extended period of time, more of a case of am able to pick it up quite cheap, give it a good clean up and perhaps iron out any issues while driving it around for a few months as a secondary car, then sell on hopefully for what it's truly worth.

Just went and had a look at it - it's reasonably tidy with paint fading a little on the bonnet, roof and bootlid but the interior was in good condition with no sagging hoodlining, but the material from the doors was pulling away slightly around the edges.

It drove well enough, but I couldn't help but feel the idle and low speed take off was a bit 'lumpy' for my liking. Once the revs get up to say 1500rpm or above it's very smooth as a 6cyl should be - I know V6s aren't the most balanced of engines but all the Mitsi V6 engines I have had have been very smooth and vibration free at idle speeds. Trans seemed to shift well enough, it was a bit over-eager shifting from 3rd to 4th at 50-60km/h which led to a bit of a thunk with a strong shift. I couldn't see any previous cam-belt history. I know the radiator had just been replaced as the original one with a leak was in the boot. The coolant reservoir had a bit of rust staining around it which didn't look promising but the oil was nice and clean, and around the rocker covers looked clean and leak free also.

It had a fresh WOF but a few things I noticed - the rear view mirror was missing entirely (looked to have had a replacement windscreen at some stage), and with it having a driver's air bag I didn't see an air bag self check light come on, only the ABS brakes etc. The cat converter appears to have a rattle coming from it too, and is supposedly gutted out.

It has a tow bar and the alloys are actually 16" with good tyres all round.

Am just thinking it over tonight - I know I would be up for a rear view mirror and sorting out the exhaust rattle straight away, but couldn't see anything else which needed obvious attention. It was a very nice and smooth ride too, very quiet inside.

Scotty I'm surprised you're recommending a BMW instead, I'm sure it was you who said the Audi chassis was always more superior to BMW etc.

phillip.weston, Jun 13, 8:05am
oh yeah, another thing, it felt like the speedo was severely under-reading, I felt like I was going alot quicker than the indicated 50-60km/h speed but didn't have my GPS with me to confirm it.

The most important thing I am wishing to know is its true value, to determine if it's worthwhile getting it.

franc123, Jun 13, 8:34am
They've never been a popular used car buy, Euro's that old, especially with V6 engines would be difficult to shift at the moment at any price, even a lot of V6 Jappas are too.But I think you know that already.Having a missing interior mirror on a pre 2000 model car isn't a WOF failure if it has at least one door mirror, some of those early airbag equipped cars didn't have failure lamps, no doubt an Audi guru could confirm.

zephyrheaven, Jun 13, 8:36am
Avoid - too old

phillip.weston, Jun 13, 8:47am
the Mitsi V6s dont have balance shafts, only the early 4G series of engines and the 4cyl diesels.

zephyrheaven, Jun 13, 8:52am
Oh & those V6's eat all the emissions / vacuum hoses causing idle issues, but the real gremlin is in the head gasket design

Again mate, from someone who can see a bargain - that aint

phillip.weston, Jun 13, 8:55am
duly noted, might give it a miss then. It looks far tidier than those hopeless pictures depict. I was more or less going to tidy it up, take better photos, write a better description and list it for $1res and hope that it goes for upwards of $2k.

zephyrheaven, Jun 13, 8:57am
Hmm, well you could - but I would be forever worried that in the time its in your ownership something catastrophic happened (perhaps the reason its so cheap now!)

phillip.weston, Jun 13, 9:25am
yeah I was a bit suspicious of the current owner, he's a young guy who supposedly got it off his brother. A carjam check reveals it had been off the road for some time during the last 3 years, as the kms sat steady for some time.

vag.central, Jun 13, 9:25am
Your an idiot, go back and look at that post. ive just done a cambelt water pump, thermostat tensioners and crank seal on one, just becausepeople are too tight/stupid to do it all at once doesnt make it a bad design

vag.central, Jun 13, 9:27am
thats a decent price for a poverty spec 4cyl,

phillip.weston, Jun 13, 9:51am
Nope, only the 4cyl engines had balance shafts.

vag.central, Jun 13, 10:00am
Haha $1k, they saw you comming, so your one those tossers at the lights

vag.central, Jun 13, 10:01am
I wouldnt bank on making money off it, youl probably get back what you pay for it

lookoutas, Jun 14, 6:00am
I didn't think you'd need to ask all this phil.

I know I've ignored zeph's advise once, but #14 sez it all.

phillip.weston, Jun 14, 6:45am
yeah that's true but I've managed to get good money for early 90s RVRs which haven't been considered desirable or reliable. Just sold one with nearly 250km on the clock for $2350, surely if people are paying that money for one of them, perhaps there's a chance for the Audi which would arguably be a better car! But yeah I think I'll give it a miss, may own a later A4 for myself one day but this example perhaps isn't the best to buy/resell.

desmodave, Jun 14, 6:54am
Would seem that whatever you drive scotty its the best, well arnt you the man woo hoo.

vag.central, Jun 12, 10:04pm
my mk1 golf would own your comode so lets not go there