"Good news for the average kiwi" yeah right

Page 1 / 2
3beers, Jun 12, 9:13am
The The Emission Rule:

On the 31st of December 2011 the next phase of the emission rule will be implemented by the NZ Government.

The affects will be widespread, and felt for many years. If not stopped, it will increase the cost of living by an average of $4,000 for every person who drives a car or is going to drive a car in New Zealand.

Due to the Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan, the halt of new vehicle productions and the struggling Japanese economy there is now a global shortage of quality second hand vehicles available out of Japan, and as a result, the prices of second hand cars in Japan has greatly increased

The import market is vital to the supply of quality vehicles in New Zealand, and it??

ginga4lyfe, Jun 12, 9:19am
I think i may look into moving to another country were the govt doesnt fall so easily to all that emissions crap, one were its cheap to live and easy and care free. like this country used to be. there is now too much PC BS being pushed around by heavy weights that dont care about anything except for their shiny coins and how full there coin sack gets

sandypheet, Jun 12, 9:37am
The dumb side of the emission rule is that vehicles only need to be tested once.If they were serious then every vehicle tested from the date of entry would be tested at every periodic inspection.

franc123, Jun 12, 9:57am
All of you need to bear in mind that our politicians that we faithfully elect every three years live in a parallel universe where the policy changes they inflict on the motor industry don't really affect them, if they're not being driven in new BMW's or taxi's they're using air travel, if they do happen to use their own private cars they are brand new ones, and if Jap import driving peasants might delay their passage to their next appointment or leisure activity theres always the option of a chopper ride or a high speed rural drive at well above posted speed limits that a regular driver would face loss of licence at best.In fact if it wasn't for the beautiful revenue stream that motor vehicles create they'd rather we were all walking or cycling, or else buying cars brand new.The only benefit I can see to this is perhaps a bit more work flowing the way of the repair trade, not a heck of a lot more!Used car dealers are going to find it tougher than things are now, if the prices of used vehicles a couple of years old are going to be approaching those of brand new ones as is being claimed here the used import industry will self destruct.

cuda.340, Jun 12, 10:03am
lease cars & company cars have the same uniqueness. you never have to warm them up before thrashing the engine within an inch of it's life & the temp guage can be ignored when it's in the red zone coz it just don't matter, the same for the red light marked OIL

vjregal770, Jun 12, 10:21am
link!

clark20, Jun 12, 10:24am
Oh no, people may have to buy a new car, like most other countries

vjregal770, Jun 12, 10:30am
That's not the point clark20. The point here is the government effectively dictating what you can and can't buy based on the fatally flawed, simplistic and just plain wrong idea that everything made before 1998 is bad, and everything after is good.

Don't know about you, but I don't like or need, the government leading me by the nose for ANY reason.

pauloc, Jun 12, 10:30am
Why the hell should we have to waste money on new cars, which incidentally will go up in price and start getting the specification ripped out of them straight away.
Why on earth it concerns the government how old someone's car is escapes me. This should be something you tackle when every thing else in the country is sorted. Why the hell can't we continue to have the oppoprtinity to improve our standard of living by having a very good $8 -15 k ex japan car and letting us have more money for other things.
The end of this will mean the average Kiwi having to spend a lot more on a car and taking money out of other retailers pockets.

franc123, Jun 12, 10:32am
Why!They are worse, you only have higher prices for cars already unless you buy a Falcodore, $1000 p/a rego fees, stamp duties when buying/selling, no imports at all and random roadside emission testing and cops willing to order you off the road for immediate roadworthy checks which could cost you hundredsif they don't like the look of you or your car, even if your car isn't obviously a wreck or you're a boyracer, to put up with there!But hey the grass is greener aye :)

intrade, Jun 12, 10:35am
I can still buy a old car and import it in to europe and drive it on there roads. the only thing is it has to pass its emission test of the orignal specification of when it was built. like my 76 opel record had a emission test every 2 years and in the vehicle document it was stated its 76 db noisy as a permission from its loud diesel engine.
all we get is restrictions of good cars and the crap that drives on the road is polluting the air way more then when you would have to pass the manufacurers original emissions.

intrade, Jun 12, 10:40am
from a finencial point you would be better off in australia solong you dont live in sidney and there likes, cars areway cheaper there and food is also loads cheaper especially meat. south australia have no wof for cars just a wee hint , i dont say its better there overall there is plenty bad stuff there also

clark20, Jun 12, 11:07am
Hello, they lead you by most things, what speed to drive, how much rego, how much tax etc etc etc. They had to start somewhere with emissions.

roys351, Jun 12, 11:55am
how much emisions are created in building a new car my daily is a 76 xb falcon surely thats better than bulding a new car every 3 years

galex, Jun 12, 12:09pm
You just don't get it do you.Making newer cars more expensive means people will keep their Older cars longer becos they can't afford to upgrade. net result More old bangers on the road in a few years. With your non-comprehension of this subject you could easily get a job with NZTA.

foxdonut, Jun 12, 1:23pm
Lol. Good luck with that. Owning a car in Australia is much worse than it is here. All the same crap and then some, plus a 33% cost hike.

clark20, Jun 12, 8:31pm
You don't get it either, our average vehicle age is the same as other countries because we import cars that are are old already. Do some research, do you really think we are better off now! When imports came in, yes it updated some very old technology but not any longer, manufacturers do not make "bad" cars anymore, not like Marinas and tinny lasers they replaced.

patiki1, Jun 12, 8:54pm
NZ will be like Cuba.Get rid of ETS,all the big polluters do nothing and little NZ must lead the world,what a joke.

gadgetman, Jun 12, 9:13pm
Beat the government, use a bicycle or a public transport. Less emissions that way and you become healthier having more exercise. Might leave more money in your pocket as well.
Then there is the option of car pooling.
Adapt or perish, it is that simple.

gadgetman, Jun 12, 9:30pm
Less demand for cars would keep the prices down.

smac, Jun 12, 9:43pm
I'd love to know where they get this 85% figure from. Bollocks.

There MAY be a blip, like there was with the previous rule changes (emmisions, frontal impact) but it sure won't be the doom being predicted in that first post.

3beers, Jun 12, 10:35pm

carstauranga001, Jun 12, 11:24pm
Whilst the impact will be huge 85% is incorrect. Of the vehicles imported in 2009 65% wouldn't comply with the 2005 emissions standard. With another year of ageing and some 2004 models complying, the numbers of imports next year are expected to be 50% of current numbers. And forget about Europeans cars as most don't get the three letter code required until mid 2006 thus pricing them out of the market here. If you want an under 30K BMW for example, buy one soon.

elect70, Jun 12, 11:35pm
Thats been the plan all alongto show the world how clean & green we are .bet you could get a 20 year old EFI car & tune it to passnew emissions test , Remember the car crushing scam in USA , they pulled cars at random off the crusher lineserviced & tuned them & they exceeded the then current emission regs & in some cases exceed them . So the scam wasscrapped . Nz trying to follow the same route, crush your car & get a rebate on a new econo wizbangbox with 10 year life

johnf_456, Jun 13, 12:11am
Nz is not a rich country not everyone wants big debts hanging over their head, has for emissions its better to run a car into the ground vs how much waste / emissions us involved in buikding a car from nothing. You only have to look at some buses around auckland. Besides not everyone likes complicated cars and dont like the looks of new ones, not to mention deprication of a new car.