"Good news for the average kiwi" yeah right

Page 2 / 2
johnf_456, Jun 13, 12:13am
I have plenty of family there and i can assure you its not like this.

johnf_456, Jun 13, 12:15am
Yup thats the skills NZTA look for, plus the fact of keeping an older car vs buying a new one every two years.

wrong2, Jun 13, 1:03am
elitist prick much !

un_known, Jun 13, 2:10am
um yeah they do.do you really think a brand new geely or great wall is any better than a mid 90's corolla!persoanlly i think the best cars to come out of asia came from japan in the 90's most of the cars made in the 00's have been boring overbloated junk. cars have been progressively heavier more weight = more fuel usage = worse emmissions.

im_andrew, Jun 13, 3:23am
Dont agree with this part of your post at all. The majority of buyers affected by the emissions standards around heavy diesel vehicles are commercial operators, and heavy commercial fleets having euro 4 and 5 compliant vehicles is absolutely a positive thing.

carstauranga001, Jun 13, 3:27am
Hey mate, wondered where that came from. Cheers.

franc123, Jun 13, 5:57am
Prove me wrong.I can assure you that is exactly how it operates, although how rigidly the police enforce roadworthy standards, ie ordering vehicles to obtain roadworthy certificates in the absence of checks at set intervals like we have here I don't know, a couple of states do have compulsory regular checks.Annual registration of course includes a third party insurance component which accounts for some but not all of the extra cost.Anyway this is off topic.

clark20, Jun 13, 6:07am
No, but it is fun to stir.

So why do we get new at all! Why not get other countries cast offs for all sales. And why care about the environment.

clark20, Jun 13, 6:10am
If they pass the latest emissions and crash standards then yes, they are better. And emissions are not all about CO2 (fuel burnt), there are a lot more nasties than that, and newer cars do this much better.

Edit: In saying this I would not buy one, nor have I ever wanted a 2nd hand import.

johnf_456, Jun 13, 6:15am
Yup off topic which is why I will not add anything more family and friends tell me it works well has most people are generally pretty good at maintaining cars their vs here. Of course you always get the odd bad cop that will abuse it just like you do here.

smac, Jun 13, 6:29am
The issue here isn't about how many that are currently imported comply, they are claiming that there will be 85% less available, and THAT is bollocks. The fact that 85% of what importers currently CHOOSE to import won't comply is irrelevant.If imports drop by 85% (which is what they are implying), I'll happily admit my mistake.not gonna happen though.

rob_man, Jun 13, 6:39am
One positive aspect for us panelbeaters and painters, if the current fleet must remain a bit longer then it will be worth fixing them up a bit from time to time instead of driving them into the ground.
Mechanics might benefit too.

moosie_21, Jun 13, 10:44am
Can you guys please stop scare mongering and do some actual reseacrh before posting. Read the actual act and this piece on it, especially sections 3 and 4 (stating little to no increase in actual costs). If any there was supposed to be an increase in costs it would have hit by now.

http://www.transport.govt.nz/legislation/Vehicle-Emissions-Questions-and-Answers/

curlcrown, Jun 13, 9:24pm
There is some truth to that article, but it is also highly exaggerated.

smac, Jun 9, 6:14pm
I guess this isn't getting through, so we'll just have to play wait and see. What date do we set for "was the doom forecast correct!" assessment!