Highway tyres for a 4x4 - suggestions?

Page 2 / 2
unclejake, Jun 3, 9:19am
Ever seen a Patrol front diff! Not so similar to the Toyotas IMHO. LOL. For a start. they don't break :-)

Seriously now - the chassis and running gear on the Patrols is pretty much unchanged over the last 20 years - which would explain why they are so average on road. They do seem to be plenty strong though, and the Aussies still love the live axles for their outback adventures

unclejake, Jun 3, 9:21am
Oh, it is worthy of note that the Patrols are normally 2WD instead of the Toyota's superior AWD

TBH I think the Landcrusier would be a better vehicle for me (or perhaps the Lexus) but they are so stupidly expensive

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 9:26am
Yeah I know, I wanted a Patrol this last purchase - was looking at Toyo 100 series but couldnt stand the V8 - felt like it was labouring the whole time so I took a few Nissans for a fat nice & strong - just felt a little 'too nice' for what I was going to do to it! (abuse the crap out of it down the waimak whenever she isnt watching!)

Bought another 80 series but with lockers (boy howdy - it goes places mates with caterpillar tracks struggle on!) & no rice 2 tone paint - should have an intercooler on it & running 250Hp by Xmas as long as my dynoguy finds a new space to work in

Still hunting a dream machine late 70's F100 4WD tho , man I looked at aftermarket gear (lifts etc) for them & lord its easy to go stupid

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 9:33am
Nuff said

Also - never flying out of your city again btw - was up a few weeks ago & the maniac behind the lever up the front did a mad yaw & near stall over the city - I shit you not I was almost out of my seat screaming up & down the aisle

Ferrytime

flashgordon_nz, Jun 3, 10:27am
Cousin is getting 160,000km out of 33x11x15 BF Goodrich AT on a late 90's 4x4 hilux, 99% road use.
I was going to put them on in a 31x10.5x15 on my 84 f100, but went with a goodyear wrangler AT. Came barreling home tonight, and thought, "God damm, these things have made it a different truck". hangs on the road well, quieter, positive feeling - a mate had them on a late 80's safari and found the same thing. Plus the white sidewall writing looks cool on the old girl! LOL

pico42, Jun 3, 10:30am
I would suggest the BFGoodrich A/T's as well. But the Coopers have a similar reputation.

unclejake, May 4, 6:48pm
Eh! When I bought the Patrol it had 77kms on it (NZ new) and it was on 80% worn BFG A/Ts .and was all over the road. I put the Bridgestone 694s on it in early 2009 and they are now pretty much stuffed (the truck has 120kms now)

Patrols didn't come out with BFGs so there had been a set of tyres on the thing prior to the BFGs going on.

Your cousin is quite remarkable Flashgordon.