Smell The Whisky Burning Down Copperhead Road

Page 2 / 2
zephyrheaven, May 27, 7:12pm
I thought this thread might dredge out a few 'shiners - good on ya lads, to me its all a mystery but maybe when I get some time I could give it a crack

howie69, May 27, 7:45pm
First try was from an old fellow used to brew it in Nelson and we drank it from a stone port jar which mellowed the taste. Years ago whenI first came to Wellington a flatmate paid the rent for the house on local sales of his brew. Since then I tried some in North Carolina, yep genuine Hillbilly brew in half gallon jar.Don't remember all that night very well, but talked hunting in NZ to all hours.Must have been okay as the Old Boy's invited me back home to the hills to visit the family. Never went, but it has always been a regret I didn't take the offer.My local US friend said they were close folk and didn't normally take to strangers, but that as an invited guest i would have no troubles.

bjmh, May 27, 8:17pm
hey zephyr man have you got any use for an original inner track arm bush remover/replacer.i'm an old crusty who served my time with Henry and some how i aquired it ,works on MK2 and 3 .not sure about 1.

elect70, May 28, 2:13am
Mates missus was an alcky, cost of abottle brandy a day was getting too much so he bought a still as they had 20 acre block with lot of fruit trees on .BUt she couldnt wait for him towater it down so she started drinking it straight offf the still . Wound up in hospital for detox for 3 weeks. She now drinks 3 L of chateau de cardboard a day insteadlol .

zephyrheaven, May 28, 7:15am
yikes! thats a hard luck story if ever Ive heard one

Hi bjmh - I love special tools for special jobs so yes of course Im interested cheers

xacoon, May 28, 10:05am
coz elements are cheap and easier. this exact setup in post #1 was getting knocked out by a few locals for a couple of hundred bucks a setup, all stainless, only thing that stopped them was kegs got harder to lift.

zephyrheaven, May 28, 10:07am
xacoon your more bill than hilly in your neck of the woods - share some good shine stories please

joanie32, May 29, 3:43am
Idontget why its sobig! I buit mine(copper)20 years ago and the head is only 14" tall. Never gone morethan aweek without being used and havent had a bad brew yet

bjmh, May 29, 4:45am
if you p.m your address i'll send it to you,my Zcars days are long gone

big.b-lil.c, Apr 15, 7:50pm
my brother and one of his equally silly mates made a still out of a old 20ltr thinner's drum and some old copper brake tube, it did produce some vile substance, i wonder how he survived his 20's sometimes. (im a non drinker so a still is of no use to me)