Parents - What do you drive

Page 2 / 2
NZTools, May 24, 4:16am
We have both, but the little one gets used 10 times as much as a big one.

Going into town to get 2 or 3 weeks groceries is impossible with the big one in the back

thejazzpianoma, May 24, 4:17am
The thing with the VW is at least you don't give up the creature comforts from what you are used to, and while I wouldn't go far as saying its sporty the handling is quite respectable and the DSG twin clutch transmission can be called upon toadd a little spice to the occasion as and when needed!

Remember, that while it is an entirely practical transmission, its still very much the same sort of setup you find in most of todays supercars, so is a bit more exciting than a 4 speed slush box.

So I guess I am saying, at least its not too utilitarian which is often the case with that kind of thing.

It also shouldn't be too much of a shock on the system on a trip after the SV6, sure its smaller but VW/Audi know what they are doing when it comes to suspension and comfort which makes up for a lot.

c_h_l, May 24, 4:47am
I give up. Thanks heaps to Jazz, Shelleigh and Slevin for your help, gives us something to look into and a good direction to start anyway. Much appreciated.

rod525, May 24, 4:57am
Ewwwwww - a tribe taxi. Unsafe and ugly.

Stick to a Commodore s/w, tons of room for all the kids stuff, safe and comfy for commuting and travelling the longer distances.

stevo2, May 24, 5:29am
Id be looking at the Mazda6 or Accord or perhaps even the Camry. All have ample room, good reliability and the first 2 have power and style to go with it.
Cheers Stevo

trogedon, May 24, 5:35am
Agreed. These models have nearly as much room as a Commie wagon, certainly as safe and comfortable with better economy (especially around town).

shelleigh, May 24, 5:41am
OP you are welcome. Good you realised you got the wrong end of the stick - happens at times when you can't hear the tone the words are spoken in. I find that with texting sometimes.
I considered a Mondeo but too big when it's just two of us but could be ideal when you end up with five in your family. I've definitely shut that shop lol

r15, May 24, 7:33am
Nissan Pathfinder / terrano , years of production - 1986-present
Toyota surf, years of production - 1984-2009
Toyota prado, years of production - 1984-present
Mitsubishi Pajero, years of production - 1982-present

from the mid 90s, they introduced air bags- like most other japanese vehicles
they all come with seatbelts, doors, windows, a roof, a selection of 'jesus christ' handles around the cabin.

they all have safe padded seats, carpet on the floors, most are available with electric windows, air con, kiddy locks, tinted windows for keeping away the pesky skin cancer on long trips,

some models have added safety features like selectable or full time AWD modes - suited for slippery conditions on roads or in mud or snow

you wont get constantly stuck

abs brakes are common from the mid 90s, like other vehicles

sorry, i fail to see how these are unsafe compared to other types ofvehicles of a similar age to what you compare

whats the dangerous part!

flybye_in_a_rx7, May 24, 7:36am
i thought a clubby would be a good choice. or a downgrade of them would be good the older shaped v6s would be good family car.
my ideal family car would be a new hilux or ranger. but until i can afford then im in the mitsi galant

i-n-horz, May 24, 8:33am
Second that.Hiace, 2.4 petrol, cam chain, 11 seater is what we have mind you we have 8 kids with room for 1 of their mates.
Since your a growing family purchase a van fully seated and remove what seats you don't need (storage) then you'll have plenty of room for shopping,weekend jobs or even sleep in when away then as the family grows reinstall what seats you need.sweet ;)
By the way our van (96) starts and runs like a dream,economical has had some mean loads across the country, put 50 thou on the clock without a single hickup now at 200 thou.

yendor, May 25, 6:21am
whats the dangerous part!

Ladder chassis = no crumple zones
Tires that are a compromise between on/off road
Same as above for suspension
Top heavy, narrow track, roll over easy
Roof not strong enough to support weight if it goes upside down

mobea.clearance, May 25, 6:41am
Yendor, you forget the idiot behind the wheel who thinks its a sports car and drives it accordingly, the chances of being killed by a suv if you are hit by one are also greatly increased.