Diesel patrol expected mileage

firebird15, May 17, 6:52pm
I am thinking of buying a diesel patrol, and was wondering what sort of mileage I could expect from the engine before having to rebuild. Does anyone know approx

r15, May 17, 9:06pm
if its been looked after its whole life, then about a million or so

guider1, May 17, 10:46pm
Yep, they're a good motor. Our one has only just clicked over 240000km & according to the insurance assessor who assessed it's value at it's last accident, (fathers mate ran into it on his tractor, frontend loader peeled the top of the right A-pillar & roof out of it) it still has a value of $12800. Repair was $6300. NICE!

guider1, May 17, 10:57pm
I service ours at 4000km every time. oil, all filters & grease. Diff, gearbox & power steer oils every 16000km. Probably a bit over the top but it's cheaper than repairs.
They're a strong old beast. Ours has written off a Toyota Corolla; tore the front guards/grille/bonnet etc off the Corolla that pulled out in front of us & only broke the indicator & bent a rim on the Safari. On a separate occasion I t-boned a 323 Mazda at 80kph that came through a stop sign; destroyed the Mazda, it looked like a banana; all it did to the Safari was bend the front edge of the left front guard, another indicator, cracked the grille & bent the bumper iron. They're a battle-truck!

unclejake, May 17, 11:17pm
Woah, the missing information is: What diesel motor! 4.2, 4.2T, 3.0 CRD or the other 3.0 (that I can't remember the name of.

The longevity answer will vary greatly between the six and four cylinders

guider1, May 17, 11:19pm
Ours is a '91 Safari Granroad, what's the one you're looking at firebird! (good point jake)

taipan4, May 18, 7:06am
no crumple zones on a safari,. like a jo Bedford,.moral of the story
dont mess with a safari

sr2, May 18, 7:13am
And avoid hitting trucks, walls, trees or any immovable objects in the Safari, with no crumple zones your chance of survival are very much lessened.

sewnup, May 18, 7:29am
try www.patrol4x4.com, brought one 7 years ago ($14000) and sold it 6 weeks ago for the same money, did desiel pump and injecters ($1800 ) and no other problems

guider1, May 18, 8:38am
I'd rather be in an accident in our Safari that some 5 star rated puny jappa with it's 20 airbags & 50 intrusion bars. Bring it on, i'll smash it to bits!

firebird15, May 18, 8:41am
I am thinking of a 4.2 litre diesel, I have noticed some for sale up in the 300,000 k mark and was wondering if they are worth cosidering, and what service cost are involved.

guider1, May 18, 8:42am
And as for them rolling easy. what a crock of shite. Been sideways at around 90kph down a tarseal road ending up going back the way i'd just come from. didnt even feel close to rolling over. I have 2 witnesses that will vouch for that. Far too many myths around regarding 4x4's & SUV's.

guider1, May 18, 8:47am
The auto is the thing to pay attention to when test driving them as they are VERY expensive to reco. Get a manual if you can. Service costs are 2 diesel filters every time & 11 litres of oil plus 1 diesel filter every 2nd time if you want. To be honest I just use the plain old Repco oil in all our diesels, have done for years & there is nothing wrong with it. When I removed the rocker cover off our 27 year old tractor to replace the gasket I expected a bit of gunk. not the smallest of bits at all; perfectly clean like the day it was put together.

johnf_456, May 18, 8:47am
Really, check them out on youtube.

chris_051, May 18, 8:58am
ZD30 hand grenade! Early GQs had an RB30E which wouldn't pull a sailor off ya sister and uses more gas than a V8.
I'd have a TD42 in a heartbeat and I don't like most things out of Japan. Check out Aussie 4wd websites to see what sort of mileages they get out of the 4.2s (heaps)

ltz500, Mar 6, 1:00pm
biggest thing you want to look out for is rust, specially if its done boat launching or a fair bit of beach work. if you can spend a bit more get the later td42t model