Curious.What Is The Holden Epica Like Overall?

Page 1 / 2
1astraman, Apr 28, 2:00am
I work at Avis and drive the Epica almost daily. I love its design. I love how it offers the essentials and no crap that just makes the car more expensive.

- 6 speed auto with active select
- Ipod connection
- 6 disc in dash cd player
- Dual zone climate control
- leather in an under $40,000 midsizer
- European inline 6 engine
- Quietest cabin in its class
- One of the largest midsizers
+ heaps more

EXCELLENT VALUE, I mean it. These cars are super quiet. You can hardly hear the engine when its just purring along, but when you want to drive like a Commodore, the Lion wakes up and gives a real sporty growl from under the bonnet.

Just love this car, When Ive got enough money, Im buying the CDXI petrol.

richardmayes, Apr 28, 2:22am
I see a couple of them around quite regularly. (One's a taxi.)

On paper they seem very underpowered for the size of car they are.

They are a bit cheaper than a Toyota Camry, and quite a lot cheaper than a Honda Accord or a Mazda 6, and yet in spite of that hardly anyone's bought one. there must be a reason!

cocabowla, Apr 28, 4:23am
With only about 2000 units sold in Australasia in the four years since its launch, the Epica is a failure and is being taken out of the Holden line-up in Australia, to be replaced with the front- drive Chevrolet Malibu, itself a spin-off of an old Vectra platform.
all unsold stock is coming to nz where it will have a " new " price , watch the suckers lap it up buying a "holden" not knowing its actually a daewoo.

200sx, Apr 28, 5:50am
Clearly you've had a sheltered motoring life, even if you do work for Avis. However I hope it brings you much happiness!

1astraman, Apr 28, 11:31am
One of the biggest reasons why the Epica has been such a failure is the total lack of marketing of this model.

Look at Holdens range. Theres always adverts for Commodore and Captiva and Barina and Spark and now Cruze will receieve even more now that its Australian made. Hell even Holdens Colorado gets more advertising.

There has only ever been one tv advert for Epica and it wasnt shown in NZ.

Check out the product video for Epica. This really does teach alot about the car and the many features that make it so brilliant.
http://www.holden.com.au/microsites/epica!usereferer=true#/gallery/c/

The other reason why Epica hasnt done well is because it doesnt offer all the modcon features of many modern cars. The Chevrolet Epica in Europe has satnav in the centre display where that storage box is for the NZ models.

They were never designed to be a drivers car, thats upto Commodore. The Epica makes sense as a comfortable, quiet value car for families, businesses and couples who go from A - B in understated style.

Seriously WATCH THAT VIDEO on that link. Its worth learning abit about the car. Its got this couple who have bought one and they talk about their Epica and then theres a comprehensive voiceover and great video of the car.

hotrodtodd1, Apr 28, 9:36pm
Its the 21 century re-incarnation of the Austin Tasman.

You would be better off catching the bus than owning an Epica. Heck, you might be better off walking even.

321mat, Apr 29, 12:01am
Agreed.BUT.

It is STILL a MILLION times Better than the absolute RUBBISH that is Hyundai.

1astraman, Apr 29, 5:28am
Whilst on a road test with Toyotas 4 cylinder Camry the 2.5 inline 6 petrol was more efficient than the Camry!

Watch that video on my link that i posted a few comments ago, its very good at actually understanding Epica and why its offered.

jfstyle, Apr 29, 6:37am
this car is a daewoo tosca with a holden badge.not a lot of power for a 6 and not the greatest handling car .but smooth and quiet with good specs.if you like it and are not a race car driver and dont care about resale value buy it but do buy a warranty.,if you do care and cant afford a car that may fall over the cliff in resale and is hard to fix as it gets older stay well away.
quite liked how it drove but i wouldnt buy one.camry of same year is just awful as well.may be ultra reliable but so very bland and dont confuse a american built camry with a very cheapnd aussie car with the guts ripped out of it.
jonathan-i sell used cars-

1astraman, Apr 29, 7:21am
Jonathan, your comments are true at the beginning. There isnt alot of power for its size, but its reasonably efficient and its smooth. It simply makes it a smooth alternative to the 4 cylinder offerings by offering similar power but with that smoothness.

I do agree, the handling is unique to Epica. I got used to it very quickly however and now its just normal.

Resale wont be as strong as the competition but if you buy a car for long to medium term you will enjoy this car and not be the kind of buyer who cares a great deal for resale.

I have heard of some isolated cases of problem with Epica, but hell in my profession its Toyota and Ford that are the main makers of problematic little snotboxes. The Corolla isnt a saint anymore. The old ones are great but that latest model isnt.

Epica has proven itself in the rental car business which is very demanding on cars and its also proven in private ownership. So no I do not agree that this car is hard to fix either.

The Holden Epica, like all domestic Holden models will be more than catered for at your nearest Holden dealer. Where their technicians have been factory trained for diognostics and service.

All main Holden service parts are carried in stock within NZ and can be to your Holden dealer within a day or two.

In short, buy the Epica. Dont believe the crap around about "dont buy it! AHHH its a Daewoo, watch out." its rubbish. The series two Epica is a vast improvement on the series one and its very good value and a gem to drive and live with.

Buy it guys! - GO BETTER.

1astraman, May 17, 1:26am
Progressive Enterprises. Owners of Countdown, Woolworth and Foodtown obviously consider the Holden Epica to represent excellent value in terms of resale and costs to run. They purchased 66 Epica CDX.

"Out of the 66 managers, only three didn??

vtecintegra, May 17, 1:33am
The diesel model!They'd have bought them because they're the cheapest diesel that size around, not by virtue of them being a good vehicle.

This is the last year for the Epica anyway, next years replacement will be on an international GM platform

321mat, May 17, 1:35am
The Epica is a not a bad car, especially for the price, BUT, you do need to buy the CDXi (not the CDX).

But, having said that, the Cruze is head and shoulders above it again, in terms of drivability, and performance.

vtecintegra, May 17, 1:40am
Stands to reason as the Cruze is a near new model while the Epica is not far off replacement

321mat, May 17, 1:58am
Well, I've actually seen the left hand drive Korean Daewoo variants of both models up close, and have had a bit of experience of both, and the Cruze is by far and away much, much better.
Even the Koreans don't have a lot of time for the Epica.
So, the model will not have a long shelf life, so we can expect the spares inventory not to be that extensive, long term.

1astraman, May 17, 2:00am
Your all correct in certain areas.

Epica will be replaced by the excellent Holden Malibu next year which will be sourced from GM Korea, but is very much a world class car.

Epica CDX feels very very dated. More so than the CDXI I think. You have to admit those fabric seats in the CDX are near the best in business for couch like feel.

The Epica is actually not to bad on the road in the petrol. I havnt driven the diesel. I really enjoyed it. It lets out a little bit of a growl when you floor it otherwise you wouldnt know you had an engine at all!

I think its just as good as Cruze, but I have to admit it is coming to the end of its cycle. Its just a shame so many put down what was a decent midsize car.

richardmayes, May 17, 6:14am
*** tumble weed rolls across the barren desert that is this thread***

*** Then it pulls out and overtakes a Holden Epica***

boardrider, May 17, 9:14am
Definitely an epic fail

fordcrzy, May 17, 9:14am
have you been going to the Jazzpianoman school of posting! (just kidding jazz :).)

franc123, May 17, 9:20am
Surprised this is even still going, if they were that good they wouldn't be being discontinued in a cloud of mediocrity and poor sales.It'll go nicely on GM's midsize wall of shame with the rest of them, Victor, Torana, Sunbird, Commodore 4, Camira, Lemans, Vectra, Epica.!

franc123, May 17, 9:22am
I seriously doubt it, as if he would be posting anything positive about anything that isn't made in Germany or Italy.

fordcrzy, May 17, 9:39am
i was talking about post length.:)

franc123, May 17, 9:44am
lol yeah OK point taken.

ema1, Jan 2, 2:55am
You see some on the roads but I don't know a hell of a lot about em!

franc123, Jan 2, 3:20am
A nondescript medium to large sized Daewoo with a transverse straight six engine and FWD is what it is, although they are apparantly better than a Morris/Austin 2200 lol.It doesn't do anything any better than the competition and doesn't give better economy than a 3.6 Commodore, minus the other benefits that the Commie has.Why bother!