Curious.What Is The Holden Epica Like Overall?

Page 2 / 2
phillip.weston, Jan 2, 4:00am
not a bad car, just perhaps not the best cars. They would suffer more from depreciation than unreliability etc. I found the one we had for a small stint reasonably economical and not bad to drive on a long trip at all. The styling and interior are a bit 'bleh' but surely can't be worse than some of Toyota's efforts these days :P

The engine in them (they only come with one engine/transmission combination) is designed by Porsche, if that means anything.

trouser, Jan 2, 4:01am
Slow as a wet week. Especially for a 2.5l six. Other wise a reasonable 'old mans' car.

timmo1, Jan 2, 4:05am
Epica Fail.

oldcobra, Jan 2, 4:06am
I think the only favourable reviews of them are from various Aussie media sources who thinks the sun shines out of Holdens arse not matter what piece of shit they stick the lion badge on.

phillip.weston, Jan 2, 4:14am

oldcobra, Jan 2, 4:23am
the last Vectras were a farkin nice car and along with the Astra and Barina (even the Astra 'classic' which came out in 1999) are light years ahead than the Korean crap which replaced them. Was reading thru a UK Autocar last week and they had the new Vectra or whatever it was, 2.0TD I think, something like 50mpg, if only Holden started bringing some of that stuff back over here.

phillip.weston, Jan 2, 10:36pm
yes the i45 in the States (where it's badged as a Sonata still) has sold very well, basically they looked at every car in their class and went about bettering them. perhaps not in the styling department though - it's either a love it or hate it look.

3tomany, Jan 2, 11:41pm
nothing wrong with korean cars but they are built to a budget,problem with holden is they are trying to convince us that there korean cars are different and somehow better. holden fail again

kazbanz, Jan 2, 11:43pm
In my experience they aren't a bad car. I mean they're korean cars and on the whole they are as good as 1990's /early 2000's jap stuff.
But if you compare them to the equivilant year jap or euro car --well there is no comparisson.
As long as you are buying on that basis--Hey maybee 2 year old car but old tecnology then you'll be ok.

carkitter, Jan 3, 11:07am
My mate bought a Hyundai Matrix 1.8L GLX new in 2001 and it was an outstanding car in all respects. We compared it against Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla S/W and Renault Scenic 1.4L at the time, even had the Honda for an overnight testdrive but the Hyundai topped them all in both our opinions. I have a great respect for Hyundais since then.

I've driven the i30 and i45 and both provide an excellent first impression. The i45 is quite outstanding and I like the Mercedes CLS-esque styling better on the i45 than on the Merc.

Quite like the Epica styling too but not as much as the old 3.2L Vectra. My neighbour has a Vectra in black and it's quite stylie. Apparently in the UK the Vectra is considered to be crap and always has been. I think a used Mondeo would be a better bet.

200sx, Jan 3, 11:21am
If you have absolutely no interest in driving a vehicle other than for going from A to B and knowing you will get there, then an Epica is for you. If driving a motor vehicle interests you for reasons other than being a basic, functional mode of transport (like taking a bus, or riding a bicycle), look at something else.

trouser, Jan 3, 6:55pm
Takes all sorts to make the world go round.

If Hyundai could get a decent steering engineer then the i45 would be a good car. They do however know how to make decent engines. The r series diesels in particular are very nice.

phillip.weston, Jan 3, 10:12pm
Many of Hyundai and Kia's diesel engine range comes from VM Motori - an Italian diesel engine supplier.

phillip.weston, Jan 3, 10:17pm
I have to say, that Kia Optima/K5 looks the business from outside, but the interior doesn't do a great deal for me, but it would still be livable.

boardrider, Jan 3, 10:32pm
Holdens are average, those audi-like LEDs on the new GTS are a joke.