Doing 100km a day on open road - what car is best?

Page 1 / 4
picxie, May 14, 10:01am
Hi, we're looking at moving out of town a bit and if that happens I'll be commuting 100km a day, all bar a few km's will be on the open road. We originally thought of a Prius but some brief reading seems to suggest this isn't the best idea, and we can get a more fuel efficient vehicle without having to pay big money for a hybrid.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be more economical! Ideally would love to get something that would do 5 - 6L to 100km.

Thanks!

sr2, May 14, 10:02am
Jazz where are you!

buyme3, May 14, 10:11am
multipla all the way.
or a 50cc moped
or a evo 9
early rover vandeplas
or anything with a rotary in it.
few options for ya

johnf_456, May 14, 10:12am
Reckon he hasn't come into the multiplia thread yet. We all have being waiting all night for him. Op for a lots of open road driving I would certainly not get a prius.

buyme: rota and evo for fuel saying haha

buyme3, May 14, 10:13am
so very disappointing of him

thejazzpianoma, May 14, 10:18am
Looks like I may be needed in another thread!
It all depends on how much you want to spend OP, let us know what the budget is and we can make some suggestions.

thejazzpianoma, May 14, 10:22am
Sorry to keep you Waldorf.

cuda.340, May 14, 10:22am
100kms a day! try something 2.5 litre or there abouts with overdrive.

fordcrzy, May 14, 10:39am
get a mazda mx5 and forget about gas.take the long way home.

buyme3, May 14, 10:39am
push bike.

johnf_456, May 14, 10:41am
Good luck doing 100km on that a day, without getting a heart attack.

tuttyclan, May 14, 10:47am
My 1997 Honda Accord 2200 cc Vtec gets between 6.0 litres and 7.5 litres per 100 kilometres depending on terrain.Auckland to Thames which is flat it gets 6.0 and Auckland to Pahia gets 7.5 and is comfortable and not short of power for extended trips and around town.At 100km/h it revs at 2300 rpm.

buyme3, May 14, 10:48am
nah youd be super fit and give us more hitpoint opportunities

morrisman1, May 14, 12:02pm
If its open road driving dont get too tied up about having a small engine, what is more important is you have a comfortable vehicle. On the open road most vehicles will return good economy. Something along the lines of a nissan maxima will be a good bet, comfortable, powerful and will get around 7L/100km on the open road. Dont fall into the trap of getting a town car thinking it will be good on the open road, because most cases it wont be.

stevo2, May 14, 5:41pm
To achieve good economy, depending on your budget, how about a late model Euro diesel.!
cheers stevo

icemans1, May 14, 6:00pm
6/8 cylinder uses more fuel, lower revving, less wear

4 cylinder uses less fuel, higher revving, more wear

diesel i know nothing about

iginoi, May 14, 7:10pm
I reckon:
6/8 cyl petrol with cruise.
Diesel would need RUC.
A 5 - 6L/100km car sounds a bit uncomfortable (only to ME though, I like riding in/on laid back wheels.)
Probably didn't help, but good luck!

stevo2, May 14, 7:17pm
Take a look here and compare a diesel to a petrol including RUC costs.
http://dieselvspetrol.webs.com/
cheers Stevo

berg, May 14, 7:27pm
Mrs Berg does 130kms a day Kapiti to Wellington. She either takes her motorbike or our Swift Sport. Comfortable seats, good stereo and 6.3-6.5 ltrs per 100kms. Also has 6 airbags, ABS, stability control, 83000kms out of origional tyres, 15000km servicing, cam chain rather than belt and so far has 109000kms and disc pads are barely worn.

40wav, May 14, 9:49pm
Mrs Berg sounds like a very good driver.

wrong2, May 14, 9:57pm
it needs to be said that a lot of the points jazzman makes are either baloney or propaganda - & that equally valid "opinion" exits to the exact contrary regarding their performance & reliability

not even the petrol 1.6 FSI Golfs will achieve the fuel economy that jazzman says he can get from the 2 liter

it doesnt matter if its jap cars or yank cars or euros - dont listen to fanboys . no matter how nicely written, you wont be getting objective opinion

thejazzpianoma, May 14, 10:02pm
LOL, all economy figures listed are available to be verified on the web. The only figure that is better than listed is the 4.7 l/100km that I clearly noted was under ideal conditions and my personal experience.
I would suggest you go and do some miles or in a Mk5 before you take cheap shots from the sidelines at someone who has actually been there and done the miles first hand.

wrong2, May 14, 10:06pm
go look

not even the 1.6 achieves the in-your-dreams fuel economy

johnf_456, May 14, 10:09pm
hey hey we all know jazz loves bragging about his multiplias and euros

thejazzpianoma, May 14, 10:11pm
No you go look.
This link lists a variety of the different Golf's economy figures.
http://www.carinf.com/en/7f20612786.html

I really wish you would grow up and check your own figures before adding unnecessary confusion to threads where other people are working hard to give useful first hand advice.