Help a numbskull - Vectra problems

emmaj26, May 5, 11:34am
Hi, husband is overseas so he's bugger all help, and googling, while it has led me to realise my car is a heap of cr*p, hasn't really helped this completely-retarded-when-it-co-
mes-to-cars female decide what I need to do.

Have little money to fix the car, so any help that you can give me will be good. Can hold out until husband gets home in 3-4 weeks.

Car is a Holden Vectra year 2000, 2.2L it's like a js cd that I googled but the sedan version rather than hatchback (guessing same engine though).
1) Airbag sensor light on: do I see an auto electrician! Is this expensive for a diagnostic assessment! Or do the sensors need cleaning etc!
2) Car has stalled a few times randomly, when I have slowed down to almost idling, and also at idling. Has gone down to about 500rpm (usually sits about 700-800rpm at idle) and then has cut out on occasion. Always starts again immediately and then just drives normally.

We had a problem with the engine light coming on a while back - had my dad check it out (who hates electrics) and the gears were skipping at the 3/4 change, due to what he suspects was a sensor/reading issue to the engine. Anyway, that light just went off one day and car has been going fine (no skipping anymore), yet airbag light came on.

Completely out of my depth here, hoping to get our truck back on the road (have had it out of commission while there's only one of me!) so I can drive that round while this one is being fixed if need be. Any recommendations that don't cost the earth!

unclejake, May 5, 12:07pm
The first thing I would check is the alternator output - so yes - see an auto electrician in the first instance.

You now know that these things are plagued with electrical issues so don't get too carried away fixing it. Whatever you do is likely to be temporary.

phillip.weston, May 5, 8:39pm
idling issue will probably be a blocked up idle bypass valve.

priscilla2, May 6, 12:45am
The stalling problem can be due to something to do with the exhaust intake/outlet whatever.I know as I had a vectra with the same problem and you need a decent mechanic who actually knows what the problem is and it is easy fixed from memory.Our first vectra we got rid of as soon as everything was working well on it and the second we sold just in time before things started going wrong.

emmaj26, May 6, 7:43am
Thanks for that everyone. Is a good runner, have had it for a while now but was my husbands, well of course he buggers off for a few months and all of this happens! Will call someone and get it seen to ASAP. Ta.

treachug, May 6, 8:24am
Take your car to your local Holden dealer who will plug in Tech II & tell you the faults.
number 1 should be related to a clockspring issue, this is the thing connecting the drivers airbag to the steering wheel, common problem & a new clockspring (maybe around $200) should fix it.
number 2 should be related to the idle air motor, this is the idle regulatingvalve as mentioned above, these block up with gunk & can be cleaned or replaced. Replacement with genuine is a wee bit pricey but a good mechanic shoud be able to clean the valve - there is a small air hole that blocks up & causes the car to stall etc - clean that & the car should run sweet again.

emmaj26, May 7, 10:41am
Thanks, that's really helpful :)

hijacka, Jan 23, 3:19pm
A+
I too think the idle control valve will be blocked up.
Vectra and mechanics= loss of $$$, get it running right and sell it and never buy a vectra again.