Ford Fairlane Whining noise

unclejake, Apr 26, 11:38am
I can't offer much advice, except to say that you are unlikely to replicate a diff whine on axle stands. A diff whine is normally only under load.

Is it a high kms ex taxi!

clark20, Apr 26, 11:42am
First thing I would do is change the oil in the gearbox and diff.

unclejake, Apr 26, 11:51am
I thought it might be an ex. Corporate Cab. They had a transmission whine from pretty much new IIRC. I used to sit in them a lot :-)

I think the whine was only under load too

v8_mopar, Apr 26, 6:51pm
I'd put money on it its the trans. Dont mean its about to crap out tho, they still keep going like bunnys on steroids

sifty, Apr 26, 9:11pm
Is it the wife.!

toycon, Apr 27, 12:51am
Just tell everyone it's the supercharger

quickstitch, Apr 27, 2:49am
I've got two seperate whines in my fairlane, 1 is the gearbox, only in the lower gears. It was like that when i bought it and it hasn't got any worse and the trans performs perfect so i can tolerate it. the 2nd is from the alternator.I had a powersteering leak, and the power steering pump is directly above the alternator. the alternator stuffed out so we pulled it out and stuck new brushes in it, but had to give it a good clean with brake clean while at it. Now the bearings are a bit dry and it whines too. And fixed the O-ring in the power steering pump at the same time. mines on 350,000 kms (AU III)

klrider, Apr 27, 7:55pm
x1
Have you checked to see if your wife is in the front seat! Took me a while to find a constant whining and finally narrowed it down.

elect70, Apr 28, 3:25am
x1
Turn the stereo up & wont hear it . This is a cheapest fix

marte, Apr 28, 5:21am
Check if the axles are straight! That happened on my car & its a cheap check that might reveal something else.
It also made by wheel brearings wear faster & oil leaked past the seals into the brakes & the wheel bearings wore out every year or so.
Not to mention the diff oil leaking out .

nitronz, Apr 28, 10:06pm
the most commonly heard whine with fairlanes is by their owners regardinghow much gas they use

I have a 93.only whine ( apart from me) is my power steering pump

jrlaw, Dec 22, 4:51pm
Remember a Fairlane with a whistle on drive, faster the car went the bigger noise, the tail pipe had been bent over the end of the exhaust, made a noise like a organ going.