Having a problem with a panelbeater.

aimz_bj, Apr 27, 7:25am
Long story! but I am having a problem with a panelbeater that my car is being fixed through currently.I was in the middle of a car accident in February.I had damage done to both front and rear. Im going through my insurance to get the car (Misti Legnum VR4) repaired.

I took my car into the panel beater and he took photos of the damage.I pointed out a few things that I noticed had happend, so he took photos of that as well.I have a standard front mount intercooler.This was pushed back which has caused a hole in it and the brackets holding it up have also broken, its very obvious as it is lop sided.I also had a cracked light etc.

I dropped it back to them a week later.I got my car back after 10 working days and he had replaced the rear bumper.They also had bolted a old piece of metal to the front bumper and tried to raise the intercooler.This is the only work they had done.My boyfriend picked up the car that evening on his way home from work, I asked the panel beaters to leave it outside locked up and my partner would be into collect the car that night and that I would come in the following day to get the key from them.They left it on the side of the road, locked but with the key in the ignition.Clearly visable to anybody walking past!

I wasnt happy, so on my day off my boyfriend and I took the car back and tried to discuss with him what he had actually done.He got very agressive and angry after my partner listed off everything that was damaged and told my partner to "f off or leave the car here"He also admitted that they never looked at the front or took front bumper off to see if there was any damage.I thought this owuld be one of the first things that they would do considering I was in the middle of the accident! I rung State to explain what had happend and that I wasnt happy with the work and service that we had with this company.I was pretty much told that I had no choice and that I needed to take it back to get repaired.

At this stage we had just had the earthquake in CHCH so I left it a couple weeks as I needed my car for work, I wasnt offered one of their cars to use.I rung him again to organise to take my car back in and he said that he would need it a couple of days to take the turbo off.
Now hang on a minute,nothing is wrong with my turbo, and if there was I wouldnt be bringing it to a panelbeater.I was fustrated at this stage as it seemed that he didnt even know himself what he was supposed to be fixing.I obviously corrected him that it wasnt my turbo that he was supposed to be fixing

I dropped it in this morning and parked it outside, nobody was there when I went through at 7am so I locked up the car and gave my key to a friend to drop in later that morning when someone was there.I ended up getting a very angry voicemail left on my phone at 8am (hadnt even got to work at that stage to ring them) about how that car wasnt unlocked with the key, that they couldnt find the key,and how can I expect them to do anything without the key.When I got to work I rung to tell him that someone would be in with the key.Got a earful saying the same things again.

When this is finally all over and done with is there anyone I can write a letter to about my experience with this business!I dont know if he is being like this because I am a girl or what!I will be writing a letter to state insurance but wondering if all panel beaters have a company they register with!Similar to MTA!

HELP!

gunhand, Apr 27, 7:34am
You can take your car anywhere you want. Insurance companys have recomended repairers and always use the, you have to go there, line.
You pay the money to them you choose.

aimz_bj, Apr 27, 7:39am
I didnt originally have a problem with going there till I had the issues.They told me that they had already put the claim through with repairer being this business so I was unable to take it anywhere else to continue repairing it.
Thanks for that, I will see how I go this time and might have to follow up with them again.

gunhand, Apr 27, 7:43am
Good luck. some insurance companys dont look after you to well when it comes to poor workmanship. I know people who have tried and got nowhere fast.
Play his bluff and dont let him talk you down. get someone with a bit of know and a strong personality (not a loud mouth twat though) to go have words with them

johnf_456, Apr 27, 7:46am
As above find someone that is good with words but not abusive at the same time and make them put it straight.

eronacax, Apr 27, 7:51am
i work in the business, and see this sort of thing a fair bit. i'm not saying this is what happend but what usually happens is the insurance company will only pay for a (in most cases) minimum amount of time for them to fix. then a customer comes and points out old damage and insists that its part of the accident. this puts them between a rock and a hard place.
this guy sounds like a wanker and by all rights i'd complain. name and shame is a good place to start ;)

marcos1, Apr 27, 7:55am
Talk to your claims handler and complain. Talk to the remote assessor and complain.
There seems to be a mix up here in regards to the repair.
Either the PB cocked up his quote or the assessor declined the frontal damage.
BTW was the shop a member of the CRA !

aimz_bj, Apr 27, 7:56am
I can understand that they would get people come back afterwards and say that this isnt fixed etc.I thought considering I pointed the things I noticed out in the first inital assessment that it would help!Am I allowed to name and shame! :P

marcos1, Apr 27, 7:57am
No . not a good idea.

aimz_bj, Apr 27, 7:58am
Im not too sure, wehen I went past tonight it was quite dark and couldnt read the signs on his building, I will have a look tomorrow morning.If the frontal damage or any damaged was declined to fix, is he able to tell me!If he tells me, at least then I know who I need to follow up with.

marcos1, Apr 27, 8:08am
State has directed you to take it back to the PB to rectify your concerns.
They have to offer this option. If you are still not satisfied, like I have said above , complain to State .

robbo36, Apr 27, 8:53am
Phone State and organise a meeting with the panelbeater and a representative/assessor from State and take along someone you trust/someone in authority who can be your support person. Don't get emotional, just state the facts, outline your expectations and get a written assurance from State immediately after the meeting, who will do what by when. You have rights so don't let them bully you. You can contact the insurance ombudsman here:- http://www.iombudsman.org.nz/common-questions/motor-vehicle-insurance. Good luck

moosie_21, Dec 20, 10:18am
Try to resolve it with State first, then if that doesn't work go to the ombudsman.