Mitsy triton 4x4 hubs?

musclehead, Apr 26, 9:36pm
Hi guys.
ive got a 1999 l200 v6 petrol triton
can somebody tell me please,! does the front diff head keep turning when in two wheel drive,as its dosnt have manual hubs to lock in and out! or are they electic lockers! just want to know if i can save some fuel if i get manual locker fitted! cheers

kwaka5, Apr 26, 9:54pm
They usually have auto lockers on them. Well my old one did anyways. You don't save fuel with a V6 mitsi and thats about it. They do like to drink a little fuel but you wanted a petrol so thats the price you pay.

musclehead, Apr 26, 9:59pm
yea, i know shes a petrol,thats why im saving on road users now!
so is the auto locker at the bearing/hub! or up at the tranfer box! cheers

mrfxit, Apr 26, 10:00pm
Presuming it's a genuine 4x4 (not had anything to do with Tritons), then the front diff shouldn't be turning at all when in 2wd mode.
Normal 4x4 systems engage 4x4 at the gearbox transfer case which turns the front diff which engages the auto hubs.

Manual hubs are a bit stronger for the really ruff stuff & are usefull if doing a lot of heavy trailer backing etc where the low ratio mode is handy but you don't need the 4x4

mrfxit, Apr 26, 10:04pm
Difference between real 4x4 & a lot of modern so called 4wd's is that the latter is in fact an ALL wheel drive (awd) such as most Suburu's/ Attessa's / most Rav4's etc & you can't "unselect" 4x4 mode.

phillip.weston, Apr 26, 10:10pm
the front diff and axles shouldn't be turning when 2WD is engaged.

musclehead, Apr 26, 10:15pm
ok thx, just didnt understand if they were like my old crisuer or not,as that had manul locks, cheers guys,

mrfxit, Apr 26, 10:33pm
You "OLD" cruiser was a proper 4x4 (presuming you mean a Toyota cruiser) & was a selectable 4x4.
Front drive shaft/ diff & axles Should NOT have been turning when in 2wd mode.

musclehead, Apr 26, 11:50pm
yes i ment my toymotor.
and if you leftthe hubs locked at the wheels and in 2wd on the stick,the diff would still turn.
and the same would happen the other way round,
now knowing it has elictic locks has fulled in the blanks,cheers phil

mrfxit, Dec 17, 4:40pm
LOL, umm well yes, thats why theres 2 systems (hub locks & gearbox selector)