Driving with park lights on! What the hell are

Page 3 / 6
ema1, Aug 8, 10:11pm
Adding to post #29.Low mount lights often tend to be misaligned going by the number of cars you see with driving lights fitted way down low that are often out of kilter.You don't actually have to see the lights switched on the see misalignment either.

footplate1, Aug 9, 3:31am
But why do the motor-cyclists generally have the lights on in hi-beam mode!Some are very powerful and dazzle on-coming drivers.
Simply because they are stupid, selfish or both!

icemans1, Aug 9, 6:13am
what about people that drive in fog with fog lights on AND headlights!

gsimpson, Aug 9, 6:40am
NZ rode code

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/about-driving/night-driving.html#headlights

"Never drive with just the park lights on."

urbanrefugee54, Aug 9, 6:54am
you are correct. but then the way our govt in it's user friendly attitude changes laws without informing people - as far as I know it's still illegal. my motorbike has headlight on as soon as ignition is on [even when you are starting it]. & I hate people that drive during the day with their lights on full. will still blind you, even in daylight. since I drive on the open road 90% I usually have my lights on day or nite as especially in winter the shade can be as dark as night. in Nth or Sth Isl.

urbanrefugee54, Aug 9, 6:57am
European cars also have to have their headlights on. so that is why some have the headlight on/off as a non choice.

icemans1, Aug 9, 7:02am
i ALWAYS drive with head lights on when driving on the open road, even on a hot, sunny day

gunhand, Aug 9, 7:17am
Yes it is qouted there, well done. but its refering to night time driving only as its heading says. So yea driving at night with park lights is wrong and should never be done and no doubt illegal.
So biker isnt wrong as he clearly states during day time hours.

movnon, Aug 9, 7:46am
so right & probably the same f.kwits who never dip lights for oncoming traffic.

ema1, Aug 9, 7:50am
That's what I've always known & said, its illegal at night or in poor lighting conditions where they are next to useless, during the day in clear bright conditions it's plain dumb to have them on by themselves as they generally can't be seen as I have previously said.

ema1, Aug 9, 7:55am
Who in their right mind would have just park lights on in bright daylight that just doesn't make sense as the chances of seeing them are practically nil in bright day light, frankly it's a wasted statement as they are pretty much useless at any stage they are on apart from providing a marker outline on a car with it's head lamps are on in any case, so why then aren't they wired to come at same time as main head lamps, they should be in my opinion.!

urbanrefugee54, Aug 9, 8:02am
I was told a long time ago. park lights are for parking, or when stopped. you are not allowed to drive with them at any time.

ema1, Aug 9, 8:07am
Actually that was the law years ago.period, I recall it being a question I was asked by the "Driving Test Officer" I did my drivers test with nearly 43 years ago.It was to my knowledge "Cut & Dried" and definite back then.

ema1, Aug 9, 8:14am
Strange thing biker_69 I have been saying just what you have said all along but including headlamps being on where there pretty much isn't any mistake in seeing headlamps.
Park lights on the other hand in drizzle/fog conditions (IN DAYLIGHT HOURS ) are nigh on useless and park lamps should NOT be used just by themselves.
I prefer to be seen and to be able to see whether another vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction some distance off, park lights no matter what you think are damn near useless in informing other drivers that you are there.
It's a no brainer really. I'd far sooner rely on 50-60w or more of head lamp power to be seen than a "piddling " pair of 5w lamps.Plain Common Sense.
The 30min before & after thing with sunrise & sunset is merely a guideline as is the 100meters vision thing, even though they are stated as being law.I prefer to make sure I'm seen period as whathuman nature tends to make folks interpret laws rather differently and are prepared to argue the toss.

ema1, Aug 9, 8:22am
Bugger taking it out of "context" tack you have taken, I have my lights on all the time "dipped" in all day hours, what other muppets prefer to do is their affair but I can't be blamed for not being seen , pity others don't see that safety factor as it'scommon sense for what it is.
Warnings like being able to see headlights a good distance away makes good sense if you or indeed anyone is even "slightly" safety oriented, which lots of Kiwi's tend not to be which is quite a worry, I can't be bothered driving long distances these days, I prefer to fly.
Mainly it's cheaper and safer too not having to contend with complacent NZ drivers.

studio1, Aug 9, 8:31am
If it is illegal to drive with only park lights on during darkness or poor visibility, why do the cops not do anything about it. I am forever muttering at other drivers "turn ya bloody headlights on!" when all they have on are their park lights. What part of "park" do they not understand!

The other gripe I have is drivers who insist on flicking back to high beam BEFORE they have actually got past you. Do they not realise that the beam of their headlights actually travels out to the side, as well as forward! Why is it so hard to WAIT until the other car has actually got well past before going back to high beam!
I get sick ofbeing blinded by these clowns.

wpmoore, Aug 9, 9:17am
ema1 and others.

Which of these two are safer and why.

Busy city street dark and raining, it has street lighting which covers the whole road in question.

Should all cars drive with their headlights on
or drive with just their sidelights on.

ema1, Aug 9, 9:43am
Give us your reason and I'll see if I concur. But in reference to dark & raining I suffice to say the answer should be obvious and pertain to the law.
It's a pity the cops in this country aren't pro active enough to "ping" lighting infringing.

wpmoore, Aug 9, 3:32pm
No I what your reason first. And let's forget about the law as it stands in this situation.

craigsmith, Aug 9, 4:33pm
Dark! Headlights, obviously, sidelights are not going to cut it in the dark.

Headlights in the daytime same conditions though just makes unnecessary glare. In which case that's what the sidelights are there for.

Fog-lights in either case, cops need to drag 'em out of their cars and book the morons.

robbo36, Aug 9, 6:38pm
And how many people do you see driving at night in the city with NO lights on at all! Just because the roads are lit up with those orange sodium streetlights, does not mean people can see you. Surprises me drivers don't look at their dash and think, "Mmm, i wonder why all my gauges aren't easy to read!" Lol

wpmoore, Aug 9, 7:50pm
Read the question again.

wpmoore, Aug 9, 7:52pm
Read the question again

ema1, Aug 10, 2:20am
You can forget the law if you like but I certainly won't, I abide by the law as much as possible.
You can ask what you like regarding park lights/headlights etc on a rainy night when the streets are lit up.
Why would you think it's OK perhaps for side lights only in the situation you mention when the law states otherwise, frankly your question as it stands is irrelevant.
As far as I'm concerned you have the answer already & you are splitting hairs with your question or provoking a useless argument which I'm not about to entertain!

ema1, Aug 10, 4:49am
Personally I "feel" it's beneficialto have lights on all the time which I do by the way, (dipped in day light hours) no argument or excuse then is there.
I'll say it again I prefer to be seen and actually there instances in day light e.g. with the sun low in the sky and behind you, folks that drive towards the sun (as in before the sun actually sets.) do appreciate seeing headlights showing that cars are actually coming towards them "out of the sun" so to speak, otherwise you would hardly ever see anything let alone vehicles with lights still off ( and that's is one thing you can do something about .Correct !)
Then there are those inattentive folks that most likely will notice and know there's a vehicle coming towards them, lights off actually tends to make the inattentive drivers remain that way.another example of lights on being a safety measure.
Inattention to the job at hand is one of the biggest causes of crashes, accidents call them what you like, and it ranks right up there with speeding and driving while intoxicated.
Often it's a combination of all three or more reasons.