Suzuki fxr150, no power?

koriemouse, Apr 23, 1:05am
my son has a suzuki fxr150 that seems to be losing power. top gear only going 80ish km/h. Any ideas! runs nice and quiet, idles etc as it should, just no get up and go.

rlr29, Apr 23, 1:08am
Check the oil.

koriemouse, Apr 23, 1:12am
there is plenty in there, actually a little too much. could this be the problem!

koriemouse, Apr 23, 1:53am
just took approx 500mls out, now at high level on sight glass. will take for a run shortly and see if any better. any long term effects of having too oil in it! Son topped up and rode about 50km with too much oil! cheers

rugbgurl1, Apr 23, 4:54am
think mine only took 1 litre of oil and runs sweet, i've had heaps of problems with mine, does it cut out after an hour or so!

koriemouse, Apr 23, 5:00am
I took it for a ride and still no power. It does not cut out, just does not want to accelerate.

tortron, Apr 23, 8:31am
been touching it lately! i find that such problems arise after i have touched something and put it back the way i 'think' it should go. haha

getting fuel! fuel filter blocked! air filter full of dust!

koriemouse, Apr 24, 1:46am
have put a new fuel filter on the bike. isn't reving high and going no where, when riding will only get up about half of red line, eg 6000rpms. but when not in gear will rev higher.

pettal, Apr 24, 2:40am
If it's not blocked going into the motor= it might be blocked where it comes out !.

therafter1, Apr 24, 4:17am
Yes, but did you clean the carby ! . a filter prevents crud getting to the carby, but it won't make a dick of difference if the crud is already in the carby.

From memory the FXR's are electric start only, has it been started with a jump pack or jumper leads and accidentally shorted onto the frame in the process !

If the throttle is opened fully at rest is the motor sluggish revving, or does it rev out freely. CDI's can fail partially, the motor will run, but it will neither rev freely nor rev out freely.

koriemouse, Apr 24, 6:43am
it is electric and kick start, so doubt it has been jump started. have not cleaned carb out yet, what exactly needs cleaning and how much pulling apart of carb is needed! any thing on carb I should not touch!

koriemouse, Apr 24, 11:05pm
ok, so took the airbox off and twisted the throttle and noticed no movement inside carb. Took the top off the carb and the diaphraghm has a split in it. Would this be the cause! and where can we get another diaphraghm! cheers

therafter1, Dec 7, 4:56pm
That will be the cause, the slide is lifted by vacuum, if the diaphragm is split it will only be lifting partially or not at all.

I would suggest that the parts dept at your friendly local Suzuki dealer would be a good place to start looking for the part.