Nissan Terrano needs gearbox reconditioned.

garfeild101, Apr 12, 10:13pm
My 1990 Terrano has the reverse pretty much not working and takes ages to get out of a carpark or anywhere really that needs me to reverse-playing round with the gears and trying to catch it to reverse-very embarrassing I say.anyways have my mechanic saying its best to get the whole gearbox reconditioned as its impossible to find a 2nd hand diesel gaerbox on trademe only damn petrol ones if that.
Around $1000 to do it and same for labour

Does this sound expensive as some places have quoted double this but just need some advice

Thankz

mugenb20b, Apr 13, 12:26am
$1000 to repair the fault! Go for it.

franc123, Apr 13, 12:30am
LMAO, you ain't getting a fully recon auto for a grand!They are ripping it out, fixing the exact fault affecting that gear, reassembling and fitting it again.That is far too cheap, a full recon would cost three times that.But hey if they guarantee it will fix that problem it is a cheap repair.

garfeild101, Apr 13, 1:22am
$1000 For labour , yeh its a mate of ours through work so its what i was quoted just making sure and yes the work is gaureented as well =)

autocars1, Apr 13, 7:06am
Yeah, you might get away with a service, there could be low oil etc.check first, but if you can get a box fixed for a 1000.be a good deal.

zephyrheaven, Apr 13, 7:45am
A friend of mine does exchange 5 speed's for terrano's for $1350 (thats all bearings new, gaskets, seals & repaired input shaft / reco'ed dog teeth)

garfeild101, Apr 14, 9:30pm
its an auto

r15, Apr 14, 9:57pm
you can get a rough whole terrano for 2k, buy one, burgle the gearbox from it, then sell the rest. might cost you $500

irule, Apr 14, 11:47pm
I just got the box in my MANUAL terrano recond by a joint in new lynn that advertises on here. $1380.00. Would have been cheaper but the idiot before me put a non turbo box in so it needed some extras.

pdc1, Oct 31, 8:44pm
so it sounds like it is ok once it is in reverse! You make it sound like it is only a problem getting it to go into reverse. If so and the fluid is clean and a nice red colour, it may not need a rebuild. I've never had one apart, so don't know too much about them, but maybe it could be fixed without pulling it out. Those transmissions are quite a job just to remove and install.
I'd be checking the valves & valve body first and also these things have solenoids valves as well (although I don't know if these operate reverse) This can be done by just removing the pan in the vehicle and shouldn't cost too much. I'd be looking for an expert that knows what they are doing and just get the problem fixed rather than total rebuild. Contrary to what most people say about these transmissions they have given me no trouble after high mileage and hard work.