Reliability of Toyota 2.4 VVTI

taipan4, Apr 13, 9:44am
Thinking about buying a camry with the 2.4 vvti or D4 motor. Reliabilty is the first priority as I have owned a a lot of Toyotas with no major let downsviews
good & bad please folks.what is the difference between D4 & the 2.4 VVTI

fordcrzy, Apr 13, 9:48am
big difference.the VVTI is reliable.the D4 is a grenade.

taipan4, Apr 13, 9:54am
thanx for that.ok what are the issues with the D 4

ml6989, Apr 13, 9:57am
I got involved with a 2.4 VVTI a few months back. Had all the symptoms of a blown head gasket, which after a few external checks proved to be correct. How ever, during cylinder head removal it was noted that a couple of head studs were not as tight as the rest. Long story, short story, it had pulled a couple of studs and stripped the threads into the block. Had to remove engine for repairs, the engine reconditioners had struck the same problem in the past. From memory it had about 230k on it, not a lot in the big scheme of things. It was in a Rav 4, but esentially I think it will be the same 2.4 engine as you are looking at.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 27, 8:53pm
The thing is, the vast majority of modern cars are reliable. Many of the newer Toyota's are hideously overpriced yet offer very little in terms of actual vehicle.
Economy, performance, safety and features are usually well behind others in the same class yet you pay a premium for the privilege.

That said, the prices of 2.4 Camry's are starting to fall into line a bit more of late.

I would suggest you actually do a fair comparison against what else you can buy for the money. You may realise you have been missing out.