Daughter wants an Altezza

Page 1 / 3
molly37, Apr 9, 6:51am
Probably spelt that wrong.
I am not up with cars. She is very keen to spend10k on a 10yr old one done over 120kms. I think that they are loved by "boy racers" and probably trashed! Am I just being an overprotected mother!

pandai, Apr 9, 6:53am
Depends how old your daughter is.There are more sensible cars out there.

gilligan2, Apr 9, 6:54am
buy a wrx sti.

bigracket, Apr 9, 6:58am
To be fair, my sister was the same. and yes they still expensive, however really really good cars. My sister loves hers and I must say it has not cost one penny other than normal servicing. Imho I would spend alot of time looking round for a really nice one. And whatever you do put a bloody good alarm in it.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Apr 9, 9:55am
depends on her age. there are cheaper cars out there

ryanm2, Apr 9, 10:21am
There are cheaper, better and newer cars for less money.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 9, 10:21am
I think the last thing molly wants is for her daughter to get a STI

fordcrzy, Apr 9, 10:59am
such as!

pollymay, Apr 9, 11:13am
Insurance HATE them, if she is under 25 they won't want to be near it. Subarus are worse. Cefiros, skylines and all that stay away.

Get something lower key, even a nice little BMW 3 series or something is going to be better off. Unriced preludes. There are some nice V6 hondas and the like very cheap, even volvo you can pick up a good condition grunty one post 2000 for 4k and they are nice vehicles. There are lots of vehicles once you start thinking outside of toyotas etc even if I love toyota.

I don't even wanna hear Mutipla or I'm going to claw someone's eyes out.

geedubu, Apr 9, 11:51am
Not silly if it is the 6cylAltezza is200, a reliable and good quality car (it is actually a Lexus).The 4cyl Yamaha head performance version is more fun but less sense.

fordcrzy, Apr 9, 11:57am
this seems pretty nice.

serf407, Apr 9, 7:07pm
What is her realistic budget ! e.g car purchase costs plus running and maintenance costs.
Is the car likely to be driven on the motorway during crawl hours !

molly37, Apr 9, 7:51pm
Thanks so much for your honest opinions. And no an STI wouldnt be very pleasant. lol. She is 21 in June. Works 4 days a week and earns about 900 a fortnight. She is hoping to gain an extra day soon to top that up. She hopes to pay back approx $250 fortnight. Pays minimal board and has no other expenses. I like the recommendation of the wee BMW and I think she would too. I think to try and sway her she should get out and drive a few cars, I will tell her about the insurance.i didnt know that info. Only has 3rd party on her wee bomb. Thanks again

molly37, Apr 9, 7:53pm
No she can get to work quite quickly in about 20 mins, and I think her budget could cope wiht the running costs. However she has not spend a cent on her current car over the years despite knowing she should have regular maintenance. Hmmm. Guess I need to let her be an adult and suffer any consequences.

girlracer2005, Apr 9, 10:27pm
since she has not done any regular maintenance i think she should not get a new car till she knows that you can just jump in a car and drive the thing part of having a car is regular maintenance !

franc123, Apr 9, 10:39pm
It goes without saying that if its going to be on HP it will have to be comprehensively insured.I'd be pricing this first before doing anything else, it would pay to be sitting down whilst doing it too lol.It would be very interesting to see how the insurance cost would compare between the Altezza and a BMW 3 series of the same age/value, it would be great if you could post back here with your findings.

ryanm2, Apr 9, 10:53pm
thanks, you answered your own question.

pollymay, Apr 9, 11:15pm
Boyfriends wreck cars, get something he will hate

ct9a, Apr 9, 11:22pm
e46 bmw take one for a spin

fordcrzy, Apr 10, 12:21am
my point was that you didnt actually provide any answer for her.

altezzas are for skanky girls.bmws are for nicer girls

roryton, Apr 10, 1:47am
omg older bmw/merc are for skankiest girls ! geez man.
get a mini, beetle, mazda6, hot hatch or any newer european and you're almost guaranteed not to be a skank ;)

richardmayes, Apr 10, 2:14am
As others have said, price up insurance first, this may be prohibitive. (Especially once she decides to grow up and stop living at home for free!) Take a hard look at the cost of finance too.

Altezzas are not as fast as their looks and "boy racer" reputation suggest. They were designed to be a very nice car that could be compared with the smaller BMW/Mercedes when they were new. So I bet they are more complex and dearer to fix than a normal Nana & Pop Toyota when something breaks.

If she wants a fast-ish Jap import saloon car, steer her towards an "SiR", an "SiR-T" or a "Euro-R" model Honda Accord or Torneo. These are mechanically simpler cars (because all of the machinery is in the engine bay) and faster for a similar price. And with a bit of luck the boyfriend will be a "Hondas are gay" type of chap so he won't want to drive/borrow/wreck it!

nzman89, Apr 10, 3:32am
she is better of getting a car 1.3 or 1.5k you can get a good Toyota for 10k, I know its not flash or "cool" but they run like stink, easy to repair and are not a target for people to steal or to the police.

molly37, Apr 10, 7:51am
I like the BMW, not sure about the tinted windows. Thanks for the effort of finding it for me. Her boyfriend knows nothing about cars, but an ex had some fancy wrx. I loved the comment that Alteezas are for skanky girls and Beemers for "nice" girls. My daughters a nice girl!

vingina, Apr 10, 10:18am
have seen many of these around, with young girls driving them. Alot of them pp plates like teeza. What exactly does she want with the car. a image thing!