Mazda fwd gtx conversion

402rat, Apr 6, 8:40am
just put a new gearbox in my interplay and its a 4speed reconditioned and a 5th gear added,id say hes done more ks than he said it had done since the new clutch kit was done,he said he had done about 3000ksand 100 was running it in,the thing is the clutch plate had about 1.5 or so meat from the buttons and had slight wear marks on clutch plate so you could see the line where the clutch doesn't contact the pressure plate and i could not feel any lip so cant be worn,well the problem is it slips at high boost,its a exedy 4puk clutch kit

mugenb20b, Apr 7, 6:00am
Cool story.

ginga4lyfe, Apr 7, 6:32am
are you sure the clutch is adjusted right!it will slip if the clutch is semi disengaged so make sure the release bearing has the slightest of free play when the clutch isnt depressed

402rat, Apr 7, 6:58am
thanks mug,
yeah has slight play in fork,

ginga4lyfe, Apr 7, 8:26am
then unless there is oil or other contaminants on the clutch then its not clamping properly, or the pressure plate is too weak

falcon15, Apr 7, 9:45am
its because you are using a 1.5L clutch they are tiny and even the puk clutches cant handle the boost for very long. I used to have the same setup in a famillia a few years ago the diffs in the gearboxs blow very easy and the clutchs dont last much longer. The only way to get a clutch that will last is to find a fwd gt 1.8L gearbox they take the same clutch as the 4wd gtx which is a few inchs bigger. The gearboxs are still week tho unless you can find one with a lsd which are pritty rare. you will also need the axles as the 1.8L have different lenght axles. Its easyer to find a 1.8L box in the bg shape ford lasers. hope this helps

bill-robinson, Apr 7, 7:07pm
Just pump the tyres up. get rid of the power as wheel spin before the clutch slip starts.

402rat, Apr 7, 7:16pm
thanks it appears to be a little better as i have driven it for a few days so must have been oil or surface rust like you said.i can get a full refund so no prob.

402rat, Apr 7, 7:19pm
well the guy i got it off said he has been threw 16 g boxesas this 4speed when it had 4 gears lasted 6 months before he blew it and rebuilt and 5th gear added,he said the 1800 lsd didnt last any longer then a 1500 box,

402rat, Apr 7, 7:20pm
yeah i actually got it spinning in 2nd gear yesterday testing it out,so hopefully all good,

falcon15, Oct 9, 8:02am
The reason most of those gearboxs blow is the spider gears and centre shaft cant handle spinning around the side gears fast like what happens when one wheel breaks traction and it single spins. They tend to throw the centre shaft out of the gearbox. Having a lsd diff will fix this but it will still break gear kits every so often.