Truck CB Radio

intrade, Mar 13, 9:22pm
cb- fm channel you mean!

bleetbleet, Mar 14, 12:12am
cbs are cheap and easy to install i have a set installed in both my 4x4's for communacation off road,you can tune to channel 11 to listen/talk to truckies however i would advise this if you have ladies our children in the car.the langauge can be bad enough to make mechanics blush!

busdriverman, Mar 15, 1:02am
LOL, channel 11, as he said above.

alby100, Mar 15, 1:30am
citizen band.

FM would require a license to broadcast unless they are limited to a range of 1km IIRC

mercbens, Mar 15, 2:35am
We've got a AM, 40 channel, ex truckie CB in our motor home and channel 11 is the one for trucks all over NZ. They only have a range of 3 km (line of sight) under the regs, so don't need a licence to operate.
We listen to trucks while travelling and hear about road conditions, etc. *The language gets pretty bad sometimes*.
The newer ones are on FM and we can't listen in to them, but most of the CB's in trucks are still on AM

mbikeman1, Mar 15, 4:16am
properly tuned they should get about 10 to 15kms.although its a bit different when your on the move

croco1, Mar 15, 11:06pm
Parked on the wharf in Wgtn I can sometimes hear truckies over in Seaview / Petone area which is about 10kms away, but on the road driving the range is only about 1 or 2 kms, NZ and a couple of other third world countries are the only ones who still use the crappy AM band, most other countries use the FM band at 4 watts, the VHF & UHF CB's sold in NZ are aimed at commercial users so I don't know why the truckies havn't picked up on them, the Aussie truckies use them along with the FM band CB radios

net_oz, Mar 16, 12:42am
Don't knock the AM band. It does have some good points to it.

busdriverman, Mar 17, 6:40am
I have got a new, still in the box, Uniden CB http://www.uniden.co.nz/new_zealand/p_pro630xl_index.asp
If you want me to list it, let me know. Its a good model cos it fits into the dash, not slung under the dash

mantagsi, Mar 17, 7:06am
AM band is actually better in NZ with the hills etc, as FM is more line of sight. With a correct base setup you can get huge distances on CB, if you are enough of a fanatic 20 - 50kms are achievable without too much hassle and thats with no illegal linear amps or anything. go AM cb!

ralphdog1, Mar 17, 8:24am
FM is not more line of sight than AM, the point is that the frequency used is different in each case and it is those specific frequencies that effect the propogation. If they were both in the same frequency band FM would be much better because it's low signal performance is better (it can do more with less)

mantagsi, Mar 17, 8:48am
Agreed, but in the CB band, how many 26mhz FM CB units are currently in use! Probably not a great deal.

busdriverman, Mar 17, 8:48am
Yes i'm sure it does. I took a double DIN jap stereo out of my surf and put in a sony head unit and the cb into the space it was in

footplate1, Mar 17, 7:57pm
I can't find it on search so:what frequency does channel 11 equate to, please!I have assumed in the 26mhz but have never picked one up on my scanner.

Thanks

matthew_129, Mar 19, 6:16am
channel 11 in NZ = 26.450

See:
http://northshore.neighbourhood.org.nz/cbradio_freq.html

I run one in my car and find it quite useful on long trips or even for traffic reports on the AKL motorways

busdriverman, Mar 20, 10:57am
My Surf is a 1996. Yes it comes with a single DIN cage. Yes, it needs a proper CB aerial. I have got one of these
http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4d848bac0381572c273fc0a87f3b06f9/Product/View/D4064

mbikeman1, Mar 20, 11:50am
ive got a few cb sets,2 that are 27 and they seem to have more action on them than the 26mhz.as far as i know its only nz and one or 2 other small countries that use 26mhz.ive spoke to lots all around the pacific on 27,have had a few from aus on 26mhz but thats rare these days.ive got one in my boot ive been meaning to install for tha last 2years lol.although i only want it for the pa system.if your wanting to listen then id reccomend a side band set.as it can be rather annoying trying to figure out what they are saying if you dont have it.

mantagsi, Aug 26, 9:43pm
If you don't mind a 6ft whip Jaycar have one for a very reasonable price. They are rated for Aussie 27mhz cb's, but when I bought one to try gain a bit more range, I found it had a near perfect SWR across the band. i know that isn't the be all and end all, but it was pretty impressive for a stocker off the shelf. Only about 30 bucks too