Mitsi GTO engine transplant

cuda.340, Mar 23, 7:57am
last year i scored a '98 gto with a broken cam belt engine real cheap. the car is very very tidy with minimal signs of wear. my cousin in christchurch got his car back from the earthquake but the back end had a wall fall on it so it's trashed. it's a '08 380 diamante. can this engine & trans be transplanted into my gto! it's available at a very good price & i thought both the diamante & gto were the same platform or was that just the earlier models!

lyndapotty, Mar 23, 8:04am
Ive got no idea if it will or not. but go onto gtoperformance.co.nz and they should be able to help you out!

phillip.weston, Mar 23, 8:07am
no it wont, they are different generations of that motor - they sit on the opposite sides of the engine bay. Plus the 380 engine is SOHC and the GTO engine is DOHC.

cuda.340, Mar 23, 5:58pm
what about the 3.5 engine or is that the same as the 380 too!

mrfxit, Mar 23, 6:27pm
Can't remember which direction they are classed as but .
1 is an east/west setup
2 is a west/east setup

Can be done but it would be treated as a modded vehicle with an alternative transplanted engine = full certification etc.& not an easy job either unless you know exactly what you are doing & have the gear.
The early model is east/west = front to the left side
Later model is west/east = front to right side

mrfxit, Mar 23, 6:38pm

phillip.weston, Aug 19, 3:41am
^^ yeah what he said. The actual core block and heads are more or less the same and are symmetrical, however the front timing cover, timing belt tensioner setup, sump, inlet manifolds, water pipe routing and water pump differ between the two orientations of the engine. Best to find another DOHC engine from an early 90s Diamante if it's non-turbo, or another GTO turbo engine if it is turbo. A shame, I sold a pair of good condition GTO turbo cylinder heads, no one here in NZ wanted them so they ended up going to Australia for $150 - the guy paid more than what he paid for the heads to get them over there!