Quote for a Cam Belt Change - Toyota Glanza

sunflower18, Jan 28, 12:51am
Just got a warrant for my car and the mechanic said the car has done 100,000ks and should have the cam belt changed.He gave me a written quote - $693.
This includes a lube, change oil and filter for $82.00 which is a discount price he said.It also includes a water pump for $93.00, he didn't say why this should be done.
The rest of the bill is made up of labour, $300, KIT7122, $192.00, cartage & freight, $15.00 and coolant concentrate 1L, $11.00.
So, yup, total $693.00.Can someone in the know please let me know if this is a reasonable quote. I was pretty shocked but am not in touch with these sorts of things, so maybe it is all good!TIA

vtecnet, Jan 28, 12:58am
Sounds fair to me, its a good idea to replace the waterpump at the same time, eventually it'll fail or start leaking otherwise.

dru51175, Jan 28, 1:12am
Sounds reasonable, pays to get water pump and aux belts done at the same time.

kimbo88, Jan 28, 1:22am
Doesn't hurt to phone around and get a few comparisons - I was quoted $430 last week for having one done on a 4A-FE Corolla 1600, and yes it included everything, including the waterpump (but not a lube at the same time as it didn't need one).I've also heard quotes of $600 to $700 for the same job, with the only difference being the price of the labour.So go to someone that you trust to do the job properly, and if the cost is reasonable compared to others, get it done there.But don't go for anyone who is not going to change everything that is required, as you will probably end up having to do it a bit further down the track anyway.

trdbzr, Jan 28, 2:03am
Sounds reasonable but best to shop around, P&K automotive had a deal on groupy few days back, change cambelt, waterpump, idler, tensioner, coolant for $379

msigg, Jan 28, 2:04am
yea thats ok .Cars need maintaining otherwise they crap out, then it costs you lots more.

spottie, Jan 28, 3:59am
Make sure you compare apples with apples as well, some mechanics use inferior quality parts to keep their charges down. A few dollars saved now mean nothing down the track when you are being towed.

sunflower18, Jan 28, 4:29am
Thanks everyone for you advice and comments, very good of you.

ceebee2, Jan 28, 4:39am
A very good price indeed. Also bear in mind you may be in for a little extra if the drive belts also require replacement.

thunderbolt, Jan 28, 7:27am
I dont recognize that kit number as being a known brand.
You should check the quality of the components being fitted.

incar., Jan 28, 10:48am
It??

fordcrzy, Jan 28, 10:54am
wats a lube!
most cars dont have anything to lube anymore.when was the last time you saw a ball joint with a grease nipple!

scoobeey, Jan 28, 10:33pm
VERY fair:)

sw20, Jan 29, 2:33am
Fair if he is using genuine Toyota parts. They are very reasonably priced parts.