Car trailer lights

rugbgurl1, Jan 28, 1:42am
we have a car that has a tow bar but no plug or electrics for the lights, just wondering if you legally needed lights on when towing a trailer. i know its a good idea to have lights working, but can't work out how i get a wof with no light application but tow bar

bjdw, Jan 28, 1:46am
I'm pretty sure that trailers need to have working lights to get a wof.

johnn, Jan 28, 1:49am
If the trailer was registered before 1977 it only needs a single working tail light & brake light. If after 1977 it needs 2 of the above plus indicators.

rugbgurl1, Jan 28, 1:57am
but what about the car, are we legally allowed to tow it with the lights not working, i was always under the impression that if your car had something ie spotlights or something similar they were supposed to work. but ours has just been fitted with a tow bar and not lights, i would have thought they would have pulled us up on that when getting a warrant.

msigg, Jan 28, 2:02am
just get the light plug wired in, half hour job. Used to be if you could see the car lights ok then you didn't need any, only reflectors.(daytime)

jmma, Jan 28, 2:03am
You can use your tow bar to tow another car (o:

granada, Jan 28, 2:14am
I would assume that as you have a tow bar fitted that the towbar needs to work and be certified. Doesnt automatically make you required to have a traileroutlet but if you did it would need to work correctly. When you tow a trailer you need to comply with the lighting requirments,there are many different trailer plugs as well so they dont necessary match up to the socket on the car. With that said I have never seen a wof tester test my trailer socket unless I have my trailer on the back for testing.

elect70, Jan 28, 2:19am
Other thing is not allowed to be mounted on the trailer gaurds anymoreeither,must be on theback .

msigg, Jan 28, 2:22am
they are never going to test a trailer light socket that hanging of the back of the car. Talk about dumb. its not doing anythingunless its hooked up to the trailer. Just get one and save all the hassels or if its just a short tow jusyt do it. Plenty drive round the country without complying, that includes speeding, not indicating etc.

n3d4sp3d, Jan 28, 2:22am
trailer connecters are not part of the wof only the tow bar itself (has to be properly secured and no rust etc). very easy to hook one up just head down to super cheap or repco get a couple meters of 5 core, a flat 7 pin socet and a test light, pull your tail lights out and get someone work your light while you probe the wires.

bjdw, Jan 28, 2:55am
You can buy a pre wired plug that comes with a bunch of tap connectors so all you have to do is figure out which wires to tap into.

bjdw, Jan 28, 2:56am
Don't you need to have side markers on the outside of the guards as well!

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 28, 3:23am
There's no specific certification for towbars on private vehicles. It's much more important to worry about a stone chip in the windscreen.

spottie, Jan 28, 3:55am
Don't think there is a legal requirement for you to plug a trailer in as long as the following vehicles can see your car lights or hand signals. Of course you will need to have working lights during the legal hours of darkness.

granada, Jan 28, 3:58am
Or how much water is in the windscreen washer bottle.

fatkat, Jan 28, 6:19am
A trailer doesn't need indicators and brake lights provided the lights on the towing vehicle are visible to drivers behind you, or you can make visible arm signals out the window. If you do a lot of towing it's best to have indicators and brake lights fitted. All lights on a trailer must work correctly.

granada, Jan 28, 6:23am
Need to avoid left hand corners unless you have very long arms.

thewomble1, Jan 28, 2:43pm
Depends on the age of the car. After a certain date (not sure of the date) any car fitted with a tow bar must have a plug for trailer lights that works to get a WOF.

saki, Jan 28, 6:40pm
And whos testing it havnt seen it on the WOF sheet you get with your warrent.

msigg, Jan 29, 1:41am
No 18.jezzjonesee your dreamin mate.Aussies!

mugenb20b, Jan 29, 2:30am
What a load of bullshit!