Suburu WRX STI

karen38, Nov 21, 7:02am
Car is blowing a little black smoke, it is not leaking oil nor does it seem to be using more oil. I need a starting point of where to look to find the problem, it runs well, if you increase speed suddenly it give off some not lots but some black smoke. any ideas please of where to start, would an oil change and tune up help!

mm12345, Nov 21, 7:03am
Is it a diesel!

karen38, Nov 21, 7:07am
no petrol.

vtecnet, Nov 21, 7:10am
It could be running rich, perhaps the air flow meter is faulty! is it modified at all! often big exhaust and intake etc results in poor tuning as the ECU's basemap can't cope with the changes.

andrea_w, Nov 21, 7:11am
That sounds normal. give a turbo car a boot, it dumps loads of fuel in. The black smoke will just be fuel, thats assuming it's just a quick puff of smoke!

karen38, Nov 21, 7:12am
the only modification that i know of is that it is lowered, it is a turbo and we were told we need a new idle control unit as the one in the car needs replacing but that it does not affect the running of the car, just will sometimes make it rev by itself when idling.

karen38, Nov 21, 7:15am
When the car is idling there is a little smoke coming out not large amounts, just enough so that you notice, if you set off a normal rate, then again it not huge but noticeable.

andrea_w, Nov 21, 7:15am
You don't need a new idle valve, you can just clean your one to bring it back to "like new" :)

vtecnet, Nov 21, 7:16am
The car shouldn't run rich at idle (except when its cold), this could mean the O2 Sensor is at fault.

karen38, Nov 21, 7:17am
garage said our one had been welded together, priced a new one and it is not an option, the part is a third of the cost of the car. however since the garage took it off and put it back the car has not reved up by it self since then, hopefully won't need to replace it at all.

karen38, Nov 21, 7:21am
Car went into garage as it was not running well, it apparently had 6 computer faults, since we got it back it is running really well, rumbles as it should, it is only the black smoke that worries me, not sure if a tune up and oil change will help.

vtecnet, Nov 21, 7:25am
Pull the dipstick out and see if the oil looks clean, if its black you should change it anyway. but worth a look. not likely to be causing the issue however, if the oil looks good, take the car for a good run and give it a blow out. might be carboned up.

Also, make sure you run the car on 95/98 fuel

karen38, Nov 21, 7:27am
ok thank you for that vtecnet - think we may do the oil change anyway as not had the car long and don't know when it was last done.

hijacka, Nov 21, 7:28am
whats the year and how many kms!does it hesitate under load and or backfire between gear changes at low rpm!

karen38, Nov 21, 7:44am
1997 not sure on ks. does not backfire at all, drives well no hesitation at all.

karen38, Nov 21, 7:53am
oops seems i got that part wrong, my son says 1995, milage about 196, it does backfire between gear changes at low rpm and does hesitate.

hijacka, Nov 21, 7:59am
Try a reset and see if that helps if its a fault the ecu can diagnose it could be a easy fix first thing is warm up enigne to normal running temp.locate the diagnostic plug and engine check lplug under the steering column there are a set of black and green plugs hunging off the main loom to the left of the steering column plug the green and black single wire plugs in together and turn key to bring up red lights on dash then press accelerator pedal to the ground and hold for 3seconds then lift to half way and hold for 3seconds then totally release pedal and start engine drive at a speed lower than 40k but keep rpm above 2000rpm for about 1minute.the engine checklight will flash accordingly. if theres a fault it will flash a code the long flashes are a ten and the short quick flashes are 1 . if it flash repeatedly at a constant speed thenit means its normal. disconnect plugs and drive. the ecu will then Re learn

hijacka, Nov 21, 8:05am
Remove coilpacks and inspect for cracking remove spark plugs and compare them to each other as well, sounds like it could be a faulty coil pack as they are proned to cracking on that year and short out on the head. if this is the probem and you can't find any good ones or don't wana take the chances of buying faulty parts one on here i have some good proven ones tucked away and a near new set of 4 single bolt coil packs i could sell you on here,

hijacka, Nov 21, 8:18am
When it surges on idle does it only do this when its warmed up! and does turning the heater on full blast on hot help control the surging!if you don't know then go and try it;)

karen38, Mar 25, 2:45am
no it does not surge on idle since the idle control was removed and put back on, it only surges when you boot the car, this is when the smoke comes out as well. will try out the heater thing next time i take it out.
thank you for your help.