Toyota Prado licensing costs?

Page 2 / 2
nathanmac, Jan 31, 5:32am
If there was one locally I would have a look at it tomorrow to compare.Concerns would be the heavier towing and odd grass track driving to access the river. Plus the dimensions inside the back (looks Ipsum sized-ish!).Otherwise looks worthy of consideration at least.Many thanks.

gadgit3, Jan 31, 5:57am
If the 1KZ requires a head and your doing it your self then $900 will buy you a decarb set and a brand new head, cam, valves ect set up ready to go. It's only a 8 hour job on a rough day.
But if the cooling system is in good order you wont see any issues

nathanmac, Jan 31, 6:14am
Cheers.Hopefully if we go the Prado road we'll try and get something with a good service history - can't really do much more than that really.We're looking at 96 on models obviously, just depends what comes up once we're sure that's what we really need/want.

The other benefit of Toyota is there is so many of them around, so parts etc., shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Basically every car we've looked at has pro's and con's one way or the other.Prados seem to be the most versatile, but you maybe sacrifice some economy for it - probably the best option for us.

Also it surprised me how many are on the roads.I've only been looking for about a week and the roads are littered with them.There must be one or two other people who have had the same thoughts as us.

stimpy73, Jan 31, 6:38am
nathanmac we have had a 96 Jap market Diesel Prado (the intercooled one same as 99 NZ New) since 2005. Have covered well over 100,000kms in it now, odo is around 215,000 and it has probably been the best vehicle I have owned. Dont let people tell you they are dear to service, last service was $185.00 and thats the most I have paid. The Jap ones can do a head early on, but the replacement head is thicker and does not give any issues, mine was done at 110,000 kms and I have not had a peep since. It gets 660kms to a tank commuting from Pukekohe to Mangere daily which is pretty good for a full time 4wd. To be honest its not my pick of cars as I much prefer a commodore or falcon, but its comfy, super reliable, tows like a trooper, its awesome off road, the interior is still tidy and is of good quality, and it has been a very good vehicle that is safe, and is a 7 seater. I have driven and compared many other vehicles, and while there are some good ones around as alternatives, I can safely tell you from experience that if you buy a good one and service it religiously at 7500km intervals as per Toyota reccommendation, you wont go wrong. Cheers.

mears69, Jan 31, 6:43am
i have a Prado its a 1999 i find them to be awesome wagons, first i was quite surprised at how quick they are for their size the down side is they like lots of diesel. I tow a caravan, boats etc and find it good for beach launching etc.

I have heard that the head has a tendency to go on them without warning.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 6:50am
I agree about the replacement heads being better but you miss the point entirely about the servicing.

You have to service the Prado 4 times more often than the VW Diesel.
4 TIMES!

And no. the VW oil change does not cost more when the service comes due. It uses a better quality oil synthetic but requires just the one pack.

stimpy73, Jan 31, 7:01am
Yeah we have a rep that comes into work that was telling us that about his one, I also have friends with VW's of several varieties, Puegeots and numerous other european vehicles, if you ask most of them about servicing and repair costs you will cop a few four letter words to say the least, and I believe the age of the prado the OP is looking at is significantly older and lower in buy price than the VW that the rep that comes into work is raving about.

mugenb20b, Jan 31, 7:10am
What are these like, when it comes to cost of parts! And how safe would the kids be in the back seat (in the boot), in the case of rear end collision! I'm looking at upgrading our Odyssey. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

gadgit3, Jan 31, 7:16am
Just need to check out the rear diff. Electronic actuator stuffes out and causes large banging sounds. I't's a on demand AWD and from the ones I have driven very easy to get stuck. You can't fit after market head units to some models because they also tie up the SRS system. expensive fix when the cd player craps out. Not hear say . been there

stimpy73, Jan 31, 7:17am
And i didnt miss any points thanks, Im giving some info based on actual experience of owning one of these vehicles, and also its not apples with apples as a 2.0 VW diesel or anything less sizeable than the Prado in both engine and or stature would not cut the mustard at my place, I would like to see one of those pull a horsefloat with a big part draft in it up the bombay hill in top gear. I think not.

mugenb20b, Jan 31, 7:41am
Bugger. Is this electronic actuator easy to replace! Are they an expensive or time consuming exercise!

gadgit3, Jan 31, 7:45am
First one under warranty so sent it back to the Volvo dealer but the customer wasn't happy when the second one went a year later and the dealer also told him the head unit was $2K to fix. We fixed the head unit for $600 here at the Toyota dealership but didn't want a bar of the rear diff and Volvo had to do it under parts warranty no idea on cost.

mugenb20b, Jan 31, 7:47am
Thanks for the info gadgit3, I think I might stay clear of the 4WD model.

msigg, Jan 31, 7:48am
Can't see a fisherman driving a touran or that mercedes,I think the ladies will stick to those vehicles. Good old kiwi will want a proper 4x4prado.

phillip.weston, Jan 31, 7:51am
I've seen more soccer moms picking up kids in a Prado than I have Tourans or Mercs. If you want a Land Cruiser get the real deal model, not the show off Prado.

nathanmac, Jan 31, 8:09am
The full size Cruiser is just a bit of overkill for us (Mum has to be able to park it in town after all).I'm pretty sure I've considered most things out there and the Prado is closest so far.