SUV's which one?

Page 1 / 2
hyborn, Feb 6, 8:11pm
Morning all, we are looking at changing my 2 wheel drive SR5 toyota ute for a suv - there is so many out there - any suggestions or thoughts on the different ones.I do want a auto, more pick up than the ute (2.7 petrol 2004 am happy to go diesel or petrol but dont want to much of a gas gobbler! thanks everyone

friendly_prawn, Feb 6, 8:16pm
Mitisi Triton would be my pick.
They are amazing to drive. You would'nt know they were diesel unless you were told. They drive just like a car.And not bad on fuel consumption.

hyborn, Feb 6, 8:44pm
Thanks but that is a ute isnt it! Am wanting a suv cheers

ezekiel67, Feb 6, 8:45pm
^ your pick would be a ute when the OP is looking for an SUV!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 6, 9:14pm
Whats the budget! New or Secondhand!

intrade, Feb 6, 9:17pm
how big of a suv you need also there is tini ones and big mothers.

friendly_prawn, Feb 6, 9:18pm
oops my bad.Anyway, I'm sorry to ruin your guys illusions guys. Guess I'm not perfect after all. .

friendly_prawn, Feb 6, 9:18pm
oops my bad.Anyway, I'm sorry to ruin your guys illusions. Guess I'm not perfect after all. .

vtecintegra, Feb 6, 9:19pm
Also do you need an offroad capable model, or just something more car like!

In general the better behaved on the road the worse offroad and vice versa (unless you get into the really high end stuff)

intrade, Feb 6, 9:21pm
unless you wait for a dacia duster they are good on and offroad.
http://www.dacia.co.uk/

vtecintegra, Feb 6, 9:38pm
Not really - Dacias are cheap and cheerful but not very good cars in the scheme of things.

BTW the Duster is the same platform as a bunch of small Renaults and Nissans, just with a little more ground clearance.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 6, 9:57pm
Best small SUV in my opinion is the Skoda Yeti, by far the best auto transmission (really a 7 speed DSG), good value for money and arguably the best, most well proven engines as well, especially the Diesel. Power/Economy/Servicing is all tremendous, very hard car to fault from a practical perspective.

hyborn, Feb 7, 1:40am
sorry guys - yes want to have 4wheel drive or the awd option we have snow and ice in winter, doesnt have to be a 7 seater - looking at spec for example we felt the ford kugas boot was very small.I guess we want a suv in the mid range size.Looking at new.we do want auto and not worried if petrol or diesel $50-60 budget max!thanks for your thoughts

msigg, Feb 7, 2:12am
nissan,toyota, vw,best go to a reputable car dealer and have a look and a few test drives. Even mitsi has a 15 year warranty.

ezekiel67, Feb 7, 2:31am
Mitsubishi's warranty is actually only 5 years intially - 10 years is not an automatic right. It is subject to a dealer's evaluation. If you don't jump through their hoops they can decline the additional 5 years.

Thought about a Grand Vitara!

hyborn, Feb 7, 3:02am
thanks ezekiel67 am happy to look at all options just wondered if people had thoughts on the different SUV's

thejazzpianoma, Feb 7, 4:57am
O.K then definitely the VW/Skoda offerings. They are just so far ahead of the rest on technology its not funny. (Comes from having unbelievable amounts to invest in R and D when everyone else has been cutting back).

I would also suggest you consider the 4WD car versions. While the new SUV's are much better safety/handling wise a car is still ultimately going to handle the best.

The Audi/VW/Skoda (all one company) 4WD systems are specifically designed for the kind of snowy conditions you are going to encounter (as opposed to something that is designed for off roading in mud and sand). The result is a car that is much more sure footed on the tarmac, even when that tarmac is covered in snow/ice.

You also won't beat the VW/Audi/Skoda offerings in terms of economy/power. Its a great time to buy one too as their pricing is very sharp.

hyborn, Feb 7, 5:06am
thanks for that thejazzpianoma I will have a look although I really dont want the car option as I like sitting a little higher than car but do understand about the car being more sure footed, we do off road a little as we are on a farm and one of the tracks I go on isnt really road like! So need the height under the suv as well.- am certainly looking at all options though

thejazzpianoma, Feb 7, 5:12am
Fair enough, if you have use for the height then by all means. As mentioned the newer SUV's offer negligible compromise for the extra height anyway.
Aside from the Yeti, the VW Tiguan is probably the most suitable for you given what you have said. I think you will absolutely love the DSG transmission in it, because it has "real gears" and 7 of them (even though its the same to use as an auto)you get proper engine braking and control which is fantastic for your off road stuff.

Its exactly in your price bracket too. All engines are great and while the petrols are surprisingly economical and great engines the Diesels will still give you the edge and are supurb motors in their own right as well.

Happy test driving!

n3d4sp3d, Feb 7, 5:29am
you could get a brand new challenger exceed for 64k im sure the dealer would give you at least 5 k for a trade on your ute that will bring the price into your budget. the challenger has a 5 speed sports a/t full leather interior and mean sound system. they are based on the triton ute same running gear but they don't have the stiff ladder chassis of the triton and also have coils in the rear. very nice wagon lots of power and for that budget why not treat your self and go new

youngones2, Feb 7, 5:49am
dont buy a ford territory as 4wd system is crap on snow/ice.also have suspension probs as witnessed by a recent factory recall. 2wd previa could get up the hill we lived on and our territory with no diff locks went no where.was bloody funny to the neighbours.less so to the wife trying to get to work.

shelleigh, Feb 7, 7:55am
I know someone in Wanaka who bought a Tiguan last year. If I wanted a 4WD, I would seriously consider getting one after reading good reviews in various car magazines and websites about them.

msigg, Feb 7, 8:38am
yea the santa-fe looks great.

serf407, Feb 7, 10:00am
Edit- The 3.5 l Hyundai Santa Fe is a 2wd. (It would require a 4wd conversion).2.2 l Common rail diesel or 2.4 l petrol for 4wd Santa Fe

footplate1, Feb 7, 7:45pm
Any views on the BMW X5!Not really seeking an off-roader (maybe a dusty roader) but needing a five-door and looking at swapping my M330 for an X5.