Mazda 2 questions

mlh19658, Feb 8, 2:25am
Looking to get one, late second hand. What's the advice as regards best year, manual/auto, Around 20k. prefer a bit less.
Many thanks.

rovercitroen, Feb 8, 3:12am
Good cars and they have reviewed well. For 20k you will get into the latest model. Manual would be better I think as the auto is only a 4 speed. Drive both and see. Don't forget to look at the Ford Fiesta too. These are much the same as the Mazda 2 and have had rave reviews overseas particularly about their handling, steering and ride set-up. If I was in the market for a new small car the Ford Fiesta would be it.

rovercitroen, Feb 8, 3:14am
The Suzuki Swift would be a good option too. Very popular but get a manual as they are more fun to drive than the auto which is only a 4 speed.

mlh19658, Feb 8, 3:22am
Any particular year of Mazda 2 make to avoid!
Cheers.

trdbzr, Feb 8, 3:54am
They are good, decent cars. But considering the money you are spending and since you are looking at fairly new cars, I would recommend also looking at a Ford Fiesta, VW Polo, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Micra, Honda City, Honda Jazz, Mitsubishi Colt.

If it was me personally, I would look at getting a Mazda 3. You get more car for your money, but it will be slightly older and have abit more km's done.

fordcrzy, Feb 8, 4:59am
Have a good look at the new shape ford fiesta. It has a much better engine and gearbox than the Mazda 2. The Mazda 2 user pretty ancient engine and transmission under a fancy body. The fiesta is better on all accounts

vtecintegra, Feb 8, 5:09am
The auto is better in the Fiesta (at least after they switched to a DSG) but the manual transmission isn't any different.

I wouldn't say the engine is necessarily any more modern either, although it is a bit larger and more powerful.

mlh19658, Feb 8, 5:45am
Thanks a bunch. Lots to consider here so any more thoughts from out there!
Cheers.

kazbanz, Feb 8, 6:01am
short version--good cars with no generic flaws. Mazda took a HUGE leap forward in 2002/2003 when they bought out the mazda 2/demio. Since then they have simply been refining the look and odds n sods.
any 2/demio from 07 on is going to be a really nice vehiucle -mind you so are the older versions

fordcrzy, Feb 8, 7:59am
an A3 is not a small car.its a mid sized car. you cant compare the driving comfort of a mid sized car that weighs 1550 KG for the A3 to just 1050 for the mazda 2!

1550 KG is roughly how much our toyota people mover weighs!

budgel, Feb 8, 9:32am
My wife recently bought a Mazda 2 sportwith 32K on the clock, 2008. like new. she really likes it. $17,500.