Jaguar XJ-S

Page 1 / 2
supernova2, Feb 8, 8:39pm
Apart from a hugh amount of time does anyone know if it is possible to convert a V12 to a Jag 6 by buying a damaged xj6 and swapingthe driveline components!I guess what I'm asking is will the 6cyl bits fit without chassis modifications!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 8:56pm
I am curious as to the point of the exercise!
Sorry I can't be of specific help but I take it you realise they came in 6 Cylinder as well so I would say it should be fairly straight foward.

The 6 Cylinder had a different bonnet though so be aware of that, I have a feeling the different bonnet was not just a styling cue but raised to accommodate an engine that was higher at the centre point. Getting hold of said bonnet may or may not be a tricky exercise.

Jaguar tended to offer both 6's and 12's in pretty much every model from the 70's.

pfemstn, Feb 8, 8:56pm
cant see any problems, there was a 6 cylinder factory version!

trogedon, Feb 8, 9:03pm
Why! XJ-Ss should now be recycled into something useful.

supernova2, Feb 8, 9:10pm
I know there is a factory 6 cyl XJS but what I dont know is if the XJ6 and the XJS have the same mounting points etc on the chassis to enable the swop from the XJ6 (4 door) to the XJS.

As for the point of the exercise the 12 is something like 20l/100k and the 6 is 10l/100k plus the 12 is getting close to needing a rebuild at about $15K and a beat up XJ6 is available at $2K.Mind you it will probably cost the other $13K to do the swop over!Hahaha!

The other things is was there any difference between the various series of the XJ6 - being British Leyland Im picking they would have changed stupid things just to make life difficult for not only themselves but anyone who owned one.

Im hoping their will be a Jag expert out there somewhere who will know the answer.

Yes I know the usual idea is shove in a Yank V8 but the owner of the XJS wants to try and stay somewhat genuine.

worth maybe $2 (2door)-s

supernova2, Feb 8, 9:14pm
Something useful!There's a guy down south somewhere that has two of em as gate posts but I'm not entirely sure that is actually a useful option.Gee an XJS is useful if you own an oil well and need a high use customer both for fuel and oil.Also maybe something to bequeath to an exwife!

trogedon, Feb 8, 9:19pm
Ex wife idea a good one. Here - you can have the Jag.I'll just take the house.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 9:28pm
Not meaning to put you off a project but I don't see it really being economically viable, even with you doing the labour, a best case scenario with the mounts and getting the cars for nicks.
Also. yes the V12 is thirsty but so is the 6 the difference in consumption is nothing like what you are expecting. Assuming a 4.2 6 cylinder with a 3 speed auto I barely see you getting 10l/100km even on a dead flat open road run, and if it is open road stuff you are doing the V12 will not use a huge amount extra.
If you want any kind of economy out of one the later engine andtransmissions are the key, thesmaller 3.6 with the 5 speed will likely give you closer to your expectations. The later 4 speed auto is also better than the earlier one. So its a matter of if you can find a setup like that.
Hopefully someone who knows more than me will be along to give you some more exact ideas. But thats been my experience with the older 6/12 cylinder Jags anyway.

Best of luck!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 9:28pm
Not meaning to put you off a project but I don't see it really being economically viable, even with you doing the labour, a best case scenario with the mounts and getting the cars for nicks.
Also. yes the V12 is thirsty but so is the 6 the difference in consumption is nothing like what you are expecting. Assuming a 4.2 6 cylinder with a 3 speed auto I barely see you getting 10l/100km even on a dead flat open road run, and if it is open road stuff you are doing the V12 will not use a huge amount extra.
If you want any kind of economy out of one the later engine andtransmissions are the key, thesmaller 3.6 with the 5 speed will likely give you closer to your expectations. The later 4 speed auto is also better than the earlier one. So its a matter of if you can find a setup like that.
Hopefully someone who knows more than me will be along to give you some more exact ideas. But thats been my experience with the older 6/12 cylinder Jags anyway.

BTW, I am assuming you are looking at the older engines as they are cheap to buy and simple to deal with. Disregard if not, you are on the right track. Although in that case might I suggest you ask some questions regarding the fuel injection/ecu etc. Thats possibly the bigger hurdle.

Best of luck!

budgel, Feb 8, 10:40pm
Ring the guys at Rodney Jaguar Rover spares, they will probably know.

If economy is a consideration. dont forget to add up how much money you will spend doing it. That cash could buy a lot of gas!

foxdonut, Feb 8, 11:51pm
Forget the huckery old 6.

LS1.

If you're going to waste money, you might as well waste it on something good.

richardmayes, Feb 9, 12:05am
Of course you know that the factory 6-cylinder XJS had the AJ6 3.6 litre engine, not the old XK 4.2 litre!
So you need to use the right model of "XJ6" donor car to avoid making a hard job even harder.

/Nothing else to offer sorry! Good luck.

geedubu, Feb 9, 12:19am
The 3.66cylinder XJS Jaguars turn up here on trademe from time to time at no price premium to the V12's.As is usually the case in these scenarios the better strategy would be to sell the V12 and wait until an XJS6cylinder comes along.

elect70, Feb 9, 2:02am
It had the 3.4 AJ6motor221 hpall alloyDOHC& yes different bonnet with raised centresection . It wasnt popularas less power than theV12 . . The old4.2 Xj 6is a very heavymotorso carmayturn out to be a pig to drive .Just do a rebuild of the V12save yourself the agro &certification.Never be able to sell it

m16d, Feb 9, 3:18am
Way back long time ago, the popular engine conversion for XJ6's and XJ12's was a 350 chev V8 and auto gearbox.
Still sounds like a better idea than messing round with a Jag motor.

elect70, Feb 9, 4:21am
^^ Christ on a motorbike, putting adirty oldtonofcast ironpush rod V8needing$$ spent to get samepoweras V12 ,intoXJS!Talk aboutgoing backwards.

richardmayes, Feb 9, 5:09am
Sounds like a good way to make your Jaguar sound like a Holden.

rayzor14, Feb 9, 6:06am
Given the Jaguar/Ford relationship what would be wrong with slipping an XR6 engine (with or without turbo option) from a BA/BF Falcon into it.

foxdonut, Feb 9, 6:14am
As opposed to a petrol tanker's worth of gas per revolution, gutless inefficient 6 cylinder gun tractor engine from 1898 with a head that doesn't fit flush because its too small for the rest of the engine!

foxdonut, Feb 9, 6:25am
TWR stuck a couple of turbos on the 5 litre 12 and a big spoiler on the boot. She went pretty quick.

If you're worried about fuel consumption just remember:

1: Its a Jaguar
2: Its a flagship Jaguar
3: Its an old flagship Jaguar.

joanie32, Feb 9, 6:36am
buy a goingv12 motor or car. They are cheap enough and bullet proof.6 cylinders were ok but they ainta v12.

joanie32, Feb 9, 6:38am
Huh!

ceedoubleyou, Feb 9, 9:36am
Don't forget to rewire/reloom the electrics, because that was the main culprit when it came faults with the car.

mohaka, Feb 9, 9:52am
Anything is possible.What's the purpose of downgrade-cost.I know of chev powered jags.My mate has a couple of v12 ones,i'll have to list for him sometime soon.

owene, Feb 9, 10:48am
Engine mounts are not same in the chassis. Wiring totally different. Full re-cert costs dosh. Saleability buggered. Why not just go buy a 6cyl and save yourself a nightmare!