Page 2 / 2
next-to-normal, Feb 9, 12:54pm
400 v8
400 auto
lpg it
or something like it
there are conversions out there

elect70, Feb 10, 2:41am
Why not get Xk V8Beachams do conversions of E typestoXk8 .Makes it into a real sports car , except there isnt a manual box for them .

foxdonut, Feb 10, 2:47am
Is he still doing cars! Good if he is.

Seriously though - $$$.

mrfxit, Feb 10, 2:53am
Mmmm . I like the way you are thinking . ;-)
Plenty of torque / rev well/ economical for a big 6/ plenty around / probably lighter then the jag & chev options

joanie32, Feb 10, 3:59am
just curious here, has anyone who recomended a repower everdriven a v12!

mrfxit, Feb 10, 4:59am
It's not the power thats the issue.
it's the fuel & cost of repairs

foxdonut, Feb 10, 5:08am
An Aston and a Ferrari, but not a Jag.

(And not that fast)

geedubu, Feb 10, 5:52am
I have, I owned an XJS V12 for a good long while & liked it, despite its appetite for $$$.But the international Jag community rates the AJ6 engined version as more collectible and useable, and as they can be bought in NZ for a pretty good price I think the OP would be wise to go down the sell V12 & buy AJ6 route.

zephyrheaven, Feb 10, 6:16am
Please find a busy railway close to your house & lay down on it

Why would anyone even entertain the idea

joanie32, Feb 10, 6:17am
mrfxit wrote:

It's not the power thats the issue.
it's the fuel & cost of repairs[/quote

See I thought this was the motoring mb, not home economics

mrfxit, Feb 10, 7:19am
No point in having IT, if you can't afford to drive IT

elect70, Feb 11, 3:08am
I had use of a WalkinshawXJS for a year, reckon my BMW 635csiwas bettercar all round .

joanie32, Feb 11, 7:51am
mrfxit wrote:

No point in having IT, if you can't afford to drive IT[/quote

Exactly. Buy a Suzuki swift. Don't f:(k good cars

flockton55, Feb 11, 10:41am
Keep up the trash talk about V12s and XJ-S, I don't want people to start liking them, it will just make it harder for me to get parts.I've got an XJ12, had it for over 18 years. Motor has never been apart, still gets over 20 mpg on a trip. I've been able to do all the repairs on it myself until I got some rust fixed around the windows last year. You don't need to spend big money on them, just get some knowledge and do it yourself.

Message to OP: Get this FREE downloadable book. It will tell you everything you need to know about an XJ-S. http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/
Don't be tempted to repower it. Almost all the things that make you think the engine is on the way out are false alarms due to faults in the ignition, injection, or electrical systems. Previous posters' actual knowledge of the car (save a couple) don't amount to enough dynamite to blow your hat off.

geedubu, Feb 11, 9:21pm
You are definitely right about faults in the ignition, injection and electrical systems!Drove me mad with what was otherwise a fabulous car but then again I didn't have the skill/initiative to fix them myself.

flockton55, Feb 12, 9:51am
One tiny example. I had random car stopping, fail to start problems a few years ago. Made up an LED to plug into the injector connector. Showed no injection pulses. Over the next few times, kept doing things like cleaning ballast resistor pack, connectors etc, which would seem to fix it. Eventually it failed in the driveway. Tried it the next day without touching anything, it fired up fine. So I pulled the ECU and opened it up. Very basic one in mine. I see four electrolytic capacitors, and think that if this is 20 years old, they might be dried up and could fail. Track down ones of same value etc at electronic supplier. Fit new ones. End of problem, never failed since. Have now done this to numerous XJ6 and 12, Range Rovers, and some others.Cost: about $5.