What makes stereo speakers distorted?

Page 1 / 2
nzbrat, Feb 15, 4:20am
just bought new speakers to put in my car, they are 600wt, they have that distorted sound when revved up a little! I have a good cd player so what and why! thanku

nzbrat, Feb 15, 4:22am
oh and I shouldve said they are meant to be 600wt ea side so they should go much better than that shouldnt they!

74nova, Feb 15, 4:31am
The amp in youre cd player is too small. having 600w speakers doesn't mean they'll be loud, you have to have power behind them. Get a small 40x40w amp and they'll be good. Oh and don't think if you've got a cd player that says its 40 per channel that it is 40w because it isn't. In the real world it's about 10w.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 4:47am
Feel the pmpo power!

nzbrat, Feb 15, 4:47am
ok, cheers

trdbzr, Feb 15, 4:48am
600watt! lol . what brand speakers are they and what rms are they!

pollymay, Feb 15, 5:02am
RMS is what you want to know, some of that cheap shyte is rated 1200W peak but is really only 75W RMS, it's pathetic

chito, Feb 15, 5:05am
600watt. LOL. What a load of .

rob_man, Feb 15, 5:07am
Motorhead will do it.
The ace of spades.

jsbike, Feb 15, 5:15am
Your amp/headunit should always be able to out power your speakers. If you have the speakers out powering the amp/headunit, when it distorts it will be "clipping", this is putting DC voltage directly into the speakers, thats bad.

mrfxit, Feb 15, 7:56am
600 watts PMPO more likely

mark.52, Feb 15, 8:51am
A decent amp (almost) doesn't need decent speakers to sound good. Decent speakers optimized for the amp will make it sound its best, though.

Years ago a hi-fi salesman took the trouble to explain it all to me. Related a story about a stall he'd set up at a trade fair, he had a top quality amp running a set of rather small, reasonably good mid-range car speakers. He had queues of people coming in wanting to buy those speakers. He told me that if he wanted to be dishonest, he could have moved about a hundred pairs in one morning.

morrisman1, Feb 15, 9:10am
I had a nice shiny new pioneer home theatre amplifier. I sold it because the dirty old sanyo from 26 years ago has a nicer sound to it. this is with reasonably good speakers: wharfedale diamond 9.1 and a wharfedale sw150 subwoofer

mark.52, Feb 15, 9:12am
Pioneer is a pretty good brand, but I bet you'd find that the old Sanyo had better quality components in it. Probably heavier, too.

morrisman1, Feb 15, 9:16am
I think the pioneer was heavier but then again it was 7x110w RMS vs 2x50wRMS

owene, Feb 15, 9:26am
Yeah right!

vtecnet, Feb 15, 9:48am
Home theatre amps are great for movies, but for stereo music playback many leave a lot to be desired,I ended up settling for a Yamaha one, withDiamond 9.6's etc

mark.52, Feb 15, 10:20am
Dang. At a loss to comprehend the difference.
I have a Sony Q series home theatre. Runs Klipsch speakers and a smallish sub (10"). Sounds great.

One thing I've noticed is that the real good amps sound quiet (relaxed) even when they're loud, the crappy ones sound noisy even when they're not putting out much sound.

morrisman1, Feb 15, 10:24am
I agree with that but its hard to define the difference sometimes. I think excessive treble gives the effect of louder than it actually is so maybe the amps that boost the bass and treble are those that you mention and the better ones do a better job of accurately replicating the input signal as an amplified signal.

Good amplifiers are expensive unfortunately

icemans1, Feb 15, 10:56am
what did they cost ya, about $50!

thewomble1, Feb 15, 12:46pm
Are both speakers wired the same.+ to + etc

male_timaru, Feb 15, 6:48pm
change head unit lol

or speakers can't handle the jandal

or you need an after market graphic equalizer in there

intrade, Feb 15, 8:16pm
distortion can be wrongly wired up it has positive and negative on speaker. other can be poor amp, crap radio that cant produce the punch the speaker needs and last it could be a crap speaker 600 watt! sounds like your dreaming have you got any idea what sort of amp you would need for 600 watt ,,, its probably a rubish speaker also with 2 watt rms and 600watt pmpo . = peack -music -power-output. means it wastes that much power . you always want to know RMS that is the real power .

intrade, Feb 15, 8:20pm
you only need 30 watt rmsfrom good brand stereo- amp and speakers . rules used to be the more heavy a speaker is the more quality it is.
My bose comapnion pc speaker are quite heavy and only got about 4 watt rms but good undistorted sound on desctop price reflects quality in most cases.

studio1, Feb 16, 7:20am
If your speakers say they're "600 watts" (I presume your 'wt' = watts) then they're obvious made in china and what you have is junk.
Find some decent speakers - Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine etc and a good amplifier rated to at least DOUBLE the rating of the speakers. So if the speakers are rated for 100 watts music power, find an amp that will provide at least 200 watts.
Also there is no such thing as "watts RMS".
Watts are watts. It is a measure of power.