Cummins diesel starter motors

Page 2 / 2
dansue, Feb 19, 7:20am
Yep throw the chinee starter in the bin and put the original rebuilt one on and your problem will go away.Have seen loads of these starters fail locally.

granada, Feb 19, 7:51am
Cheers guys, agree with going original, just got to convince the management team.Crazy, they save a few dollars on the starter motor and think they have a bargain and then lose thousands on downtime and repairing it three three times.I thought I was the only one left that crimped and soldered every join Mrfxit.

pup2, Feb 19, 7:54am
My boss does it & that's the way he taught me as well

mrfxit, Feb 19, 9:52am
Crimped AND soldered

Yep, often do that when i run in to unexplained starting or charging problems but everythings already been checked a few times over (& with "the gear") & In the case of a diesel, it's even more important that every joint is rock solid for max power at start up.

I laugh a lot at most ppl with diesel vehicles when they go to start them & they have to crank the engines for a half dozen turns (& thats the modern vehicles) . heres me in my 88 Surf 2L-T & it fires on the 1st or 2nd stroke (1st mostly) everytime, unless I forgot to wait a few seconds for the glow plugs

mrfxit, Feb 19, 10:06am
Just trying to thinking of things that can jam a starter in gear.

Tooth gap to narrow (binding)
Teeth to deep (bottoming out in the ring gear)
Starter mounting holes offset from original
Pinion throw either way would only miss the ring gear or stop the solenoid starter tabs from engaging
Solenoid starter tabs too thin could cause them to overheat & weld shut
Remote starter relay jamming shut

When you pop another starter on it, could you this time run a separateset of live starter battery cables with their OWN on/off switch (bypass the trucks starter system).* a remote power cut off for the fuel system
That way if it jams again, you can cut ALL the power to the starter & if it still keeps running, you can kill the engine faster

granada, Feb 19, 11:03am
I get your drift but the guys running this machine are not the smartest grape in the bunch and I doubt they can be house trained, They dont even know its happened until they try and start it the next day.

All starter pinions are the same number of teeth, diameter etc.I was actually surprised at the condition of the solonoid contacts, very little arcing and no wear and appeared to be quite meaty.Remember it starts perfectly every time without fail until.-
The difference in machining tolerances between original and copies may be the key

dozerman, Feb 19, 7:01pm
Starter relay would be my bet ,Had one resently that would slowly activate itself

owene, Feb 19, 9:02pm
An incremental relay!

mrfxit, Feb 19, 9:43pm
yep THAT ^^ has always been a problem with outsourcing but is a really bad problem when translating between imperial & metric.
they never could get it right.

mrfxit, Feb 19, 11:12pm
Just a quick re-read & grasping at straws for random ideas .
Another thought just popped up
What other functions has this truck/generator/digger (you forgot to mention vehicle type) got that could be operated or left switched on at the same time as starting the engine.
thinking . possible feedback/power feed /short to the starter system with a specific function being operated at the same time (automatically or manually turned on or already on) Unintentional operator error

bigfatmat1, Feb 19, 11:21pm
if its a foden it will have a starter lockout activated off alt through ecu and relay lh lower dash that prevents power from switch to starter when truck is running it wll also have a slave solenoid

granada, Feb 20, 1:14pm
The motor is mounted on the back of an old Nissan truck and drivesa compressor and hydraulic pump.(Drill rig) , all electrics on it are very basic.(Murphy protection system, fuel solonoid shut off. The truck electrics are totally seperate from the Cummins .A genuine Delco starter was purchased and fitted to it and it is again running with no alterations to wiring systems or repairs,will wait and see if this one lasts more than a month, The call from above is wait and see, as long as its working it is making money and they will keep throwing starters at it if need be. when something else breaks that will need it to come back to the workshop then we can rewire it then. I think I have convinced them to only use genuine but time will tell. I will keep you updated and thanks for all your ideas and help.

horsygirl, Feb 21, 2:21am
Blame Helen Clark.she signed the Free trade agreement with China which has turned NZ inti a dumping group for cheap Chinese shit.