Buying a used car- dealer or private?

linzis, Feb 18, 8:10am
On the lookout for a new used car, but has been many years since we bought through a dealer. always private or through a friend.
We have a car we could trade in, but think we'll get more selling privately.
Have been looking at a few on TM both through dealers & private.
What are some do's and don'ts to buying through a dealer. don't need finance, and we are AA members.
thanks

gammelvind, Feb 18, 8:17am
You have the cash, one is like buying from your neighbour the other is like buying from a shop.
A least the dealer has a warrenty, and must comply with the s o g act.

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 18, 8:17am
More importantly the CGA.

gammelvind, Feb 18, 8:18am
Oops thats what I meant.

grangies, Feb 18, 8:19am
I think it depends on the car you want.

I reckon most dealers will have better freshly Japanese imported stock compared to their trade ins.

They have to personally select the Jap imports.

easygoer, Feb 18, 8:22am
You can get more for your cash buying private but if you strike a problem it will cost you as there will be no recourse on the seller generally, on the other hand I bought private and saved a lot on the deal and have had no real issues 3 1/2 years down the track, it depends a lot on the age and quality of the vehicle you are looking for

jmma, Feb 18, 8:23am
Probably better to say what you are looking for and a rough budget. Also what vehicle you have to now and kms, someone will give you an idea of value etc

cocabowla, Feb 18, 8:27am
if you arent in any particular hurry look around and get 2 or 3 trade in prices for what you want to buy, then research what your current car generally sells for privately ( click the "more options" beside the search and then "most bids" ) to know what you'd likely get . if its better there's your answer, bear in mind many dealers have stocked right up to got stock in before the new laws regarding eligible imports changed jan 1 so you could well be better off with a "no trade in" purchase.
just accept if you buy private should anything go wrong down the line the costs will all be yours.

terckon, Feb 18, 8:46am
I prefer to buy privately because of the savings. Saying that, check out the dealers on their obligations regarding future problems. Say if after 2 months and the cam belt breaks and causes damage, who is legally liable! If you are buying late model with low kms and a reputable brand, there should not be too many issues with the car.

kazbanz, Feb 18, 8:52am
Gosh--why limit yourself to an either/or situation! Why not decide the car you want then see what is best bang for buck for YOU!