Grrr. New car from dealer

doug64, Oct 8, 11:06am
Just bought a second hand vw from the agent.Told all ok, and all services done and final service will be done afte purchase.Now three weeks later oil pressure light comes on, says needs oil top up, and subsequently the exhhaust gas light also comes on.

Now find out it hasn't been serviced, and is due.What should I do.[apart from getting it serviced of course)

What rights do I have.

a.woodrow, Oct 8, 11:14am
Take it back. I am sure they will be happy to remedy these minor issues for you

snj11, Oct 8, 6:57pm
yep first port of call should always be approaching the dealer with a good attitude and explaining whats happened, it may ofjust slippedthrough the cracks, they are only human.If they dont sort itthat when its time to go further

andydlm, Oct 8, 7:19pm
I have always found that if you approach any company you have a problem with with a big smile and a happy attitude you will get a good result. It could be have genuinly slipped through the cracks. You must be prety perfect if you have never made a mistake in your job.

ralphdog1, Oct 8, 8:04pm
The oil pressure light came on!
Clearly one of therights you have but do not use is pulling the dipstick.

crzyhrse, Oct 8, 8:15pm
Depending on the conditions when the oil pressure light came on there may be some not so minor issues as a result of that low pressure.

Luckily the CGA covers consequential losses too.

kazbanz, Oct 8, 8:59pm
doug64 -why are you even posting this up on here!
By this I mean 3 weeks after purchase of a car its got a potentially major issue . Why aren't you on the phone to the manager of the dealership.
In HIS shoes I'd want to know right away about all and any mechanical issues.
Keep in mind that at this point you don't know whats actually wrong. The issue could have no relationship to what was or wasn't done to the car.

a.woodrow, Oct 8, 9:10pm
Yep, how I read OP's statement when he said oil pressure light came on and says needs oil, that in fact there was just a light saying low oil level, which on some euros and late model cars usually comes on as the oil level drops below the bottom level on the dipstick. I didn't think it was likely he had actually lost oil pressure, that's a whole other bag of worms in that case!

owene, Oct 9, 8:05am
Take it back and demand your cash back in full. Abuse the manager and tell him he's ripped you off and if that doesn't work, threaten him with legal action. That should do the trick.

jason18, Oct 9, 8:19am
hmmmm. ok.

neo_psy, Oct 9, 9:22am
Heh - or do nothing and come on TM and complain about it. The more you badmouth the dealer, the better.

crzyhrse, Dec 20, 3:09pm
Good point. He did say oil pressure light but I should know better by now not to take too literally any descriptions posted here.