I had a Battery fitted new 8 months ago

Page 1 / 2
market1, Feb 19, 6:49am
For the last six months I started the vehicle only once, the battery was flat when I went to start it last week, I have had it on a trickle charger and it doesnt seem to be taking any charge at all. It is a Century sealed battery. Does anyone know if they run completely flat if they are unable to take a charge again!

thunderbolt, Feb 19, 6:59am
Yep, they dont like being left flat.

You now have a century door stop.

poppajn, Feb 19, 7:12am
Yep, it,s b%^&ered.

panicky, Feb 19, 7:19am
You need to put it on a calcium battery charger that has a rejuvenation cycle.

market1, Feb 19, 8:12am
I am using a smart automatic charger, it is 2-12 amps.

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 19, 9:56am
Why buy a battery for a vehicle you're not using and then leaving it connected to ensure it discharges slowly (the absolute worse thing you can do for a starting battery)!

scuba, Feb 19, 10:18am
take it back where you bought it get them to fully charge it and recheck it .

If they check it while it is flat ornotfully charged it will give a false reading anyway.

If it reads as knackered they should replace it as should still be within warranty.

It's not old enough to be knackered just cos you've been parked up awhile.
and they won't want to take it back.

pup2, Feb 19, 5:45pm
ya can tell if they are left flat so no warranty sorry. As mentioned. Doorstop

market1, Feb 19, 7:13pm
I dont think it is reasonable that a battery that is not used for a period of time is damaged beyond repair. I travel quite a bit and may not use the vehicle for months.

ralphdog1, Feb 19, 7:31pm
You thinking it is not reasonable does not alter the fact that you can not treat batteries in the manner you have.
If you are away for extended periods at least disconnect it or get a good float charger.

thunderbolt, Feb 19, 8:52pm
Even good batteries go flat if left for several months, and batteries do not like being left flat or partially flat. If you??

richard198, Feb 19, 9:02pm
Absolutely! When I'm away for more than four weeks, I disconnect my battery. I was away for three months recently and when I reconnected the battery, it was still like new!

scuba, Feb 19, 9:24pm
bullshit :only way you would know would be if owner told you.battery only bought 8 months ago I'veseen them sit on the shelf that long.

where do you think the factory seconds come from.

He didn't say it was flat for 8 months just that it had only been started once in last 6 months.

scuba, Feb 19, 9:27pm
only thing dogand lemon about that site is information from some one

withtoo little knowledge to make an informed decision.
typical googled resonse-probably how the site owner got their information.

thunderbolt, Feb 19, 9:27pm
But he is saying that it is sulfated and wont take a charge, which suggests it has been flat for a fair while.

thunderbolt, Feb 19, 9:29pm
There are some pretty knowledgable members here offering advice, what experience do you have that you can offer such conclusive comment without even sighting the battery in question!

curlcrown, Feb 19, 9:30pm
I'm going to make a useful suggestion. Try connecting it with jumper cables to a good battery and then put the charger on it. It only has to be conected to the other battery for a few seconds to get it to start charging.

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 19, 9:34pm
There's a big difference between a minimal self-discharge from sitting on the shelf disconnected from any load and from being connected to a small load for long duration. The results are polar opposites too.

intrade, Feb 19, 9:37pm
they will replace it if you got a warranty just say it seems faulty no more. The price you pay for a new battery has the warranty cost worked in to it.
Do not let a battery connected if you dont use the car you just disconnect the minus therminal and it will be fine still 3 month later.

scuba, Feb 19, 10:05pm
most of the faults are caused by owners cars ie: charging systems , electrical faults etc .not disconnecting batterys. one guy came in with the positivepost missing and wanted a warranty claim cos he tore it off when removing battery from car to recharge.-yeah right. and yes the battery should have been disconnected even so the battery was only in the car for 8 months and discharged for less than 6.
Thats not an excuse not to replace under warranty but I suspect the battery supplier would simply put on the charger and crank up the amperageor use the appropriate charger.

ralphdog1, Feb 19, 10:07pm
Why should the supplier/maker pay for the stupidity of the user!

motorway, Feb 19, 10:08pm
Ctek.

motorway, Feb 19, 10:15pm
We use carjam a lot with persistant warranty claimers.they always bring their expert friend/neighbour,old "Super Spanner" with them to expound their vast and unquestionable knowledge regarding batteries. One old duck and the Janitor "Super Spanner" from the rest home she lived in came to deal to us but carjam revealed her avg km travelled was 3.31km per day between warrants. Probably wouldn't stand up in court but can be helpful.
NOTE: "Super Spanner" has yet to confront the AG9 concept.he says "a battery is a battery".

berg, Feb 19, 11:11pm
+1
I leave one connected to my ute as it doesn't regularly get used. Always charged and ready to go

elect70, Feb 20, 12:23am
If they wont cover your warrantythen can try old trickput it on a reverse chargefor few minutesthenswap over to correct polarity . It can boil the sulphate off the plates . May not work with sodiumbatteries butnothing to lose ,. even seen a arc welderput acrossthem.