2.7TD terrano, 515km from 65liters

Page 1 / 2
serendipitous6, Feb 27, 6:38am
Brought a 1996 2.7 terrano auto a few weeks ago, and am only getting 515km from 65 liters on the open road, does this sound right! or should it do better than that!

morrisman1, Feb 27, 6:44am
thats heaps, should be less than that. Is it down on power or smoking black smoke!

msigg, Feb 27, 6:55am
depends how fast your going and what load your carrying.
I would say 650-700 would be ok, it is a low geared 4x4 box.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 27, 7:02am
That would be about what I expect.
Inefficient old technology diesel + unaerodynamic, fairly heavy vehicle + inefficient drivetrain.

morrisman1, Feb 27, 7:14am
it goes against the anecdotal evidence that I receive from other people. I would expect less than 10L/100km from it if driven carefully but as Jazz has rightly said, compared to today's diesels it doesn't have a good consumption to power ratio.

In other news jazz, I got 6.2L/100km out of the sentra today, open road at 110km/h and not letting anyone hold me up. Not bad for an old technology inefficient japanese car aye.

serendipitous6, Feb 27, 7:27am
Going 100km, no load driver only, puffs no black smoke. Any ideas why its using so much!

morrisman1, Feb 27, 7:29am
Drive along for a bit, dont use the brakes and when you coast to a stop get out and see if the brakes are hot. If they are then you have found your problem. If they are not then it must be engine/gearbox related.

Does it come up to temperature properly and within 5 minutes driving!

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 8:01am
I get 10L/100km in my one when driven gently (automatic). 12L/100km on short cold trips.

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 8:02am
Check air filter, adjust valve clearances, clean air flow meter with a special AFM cleaner (Repco sells it, it's in a grey can).

thejazzpianoma, Feb 27, 11:08am
Not sure how that's news, I can get that out of my even older technology European camper van on the open road (and town too for that matter). That's carting around beds for 4 people, 80 litres of water, fridge, stove and quite literally the kitchen sink. and yes its petrol.

In fairness I do tend to cruise at 95 -100 though.

Its so fuel efficient it only has a 30 litre fuel tank.

wasser61, Feb 27, 11:28am
Yes of course you have.
It would be a sad day that someone has something better than thejazzpianoma

flack88, Feb 27, 11:39am
Drive a van with 3.2 qti,turbo,ic motor ,nissan elgrand,it thirsty as well,new air cleaner,valve clearances done,free flow exhaust,dosnt blow any smoke ever,heaps of power,checked all brakes etc,lexus ls400 v8 is cheeper too run!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 27, 11:42am
Morrisman deserved every bit of that comeback. (not from what he said in this thread, that was actually fairly civil, considered and useful)

scoobeey, Feb 27, 3:10pm
i would be happy with that.your talkin a fairly heavy vechile.dont expect economy

jsbike, Feb 27, 7:19pm
I would expect better from a diesel. My Stagea (which are known to suck gas) gets 500-550km with soft open road driving on 65L. Petrol, 2.5Lturbo, auto, 4wd.

poppajn, Feb 27, 8:22pm
I had a '97 2.7 and it only did around 11/12per 100l. Useless piece of shit that it was.

intrade, Feb 27, 8:44pm
well yea but the fuelconsumption is always round 10 liter for a brik 90s diesel. my 96 traffic also uses 8 to 9 liter diesel my merc camper also uses 10 literonly electronic tdi vw would be below 8 liter on brick shape.
my 1988 iveco turbodaily also used 12 to 16 liter now that was a huge brick with 4 meter by 2 meter tall box on its chassy and 2.4 ton unloaded

intrade, Feb 27, 8:49pm
my tipo 1.7 diesel does 60mpg or 5.5 liter per 100km. the brand new dacia sandero petrol 1.2 liter uses 5.8 liter 96 octane fuel with euro 5 emissions so a waste of time to even bother with diesel as diesel is more expensive in europe then petrol.

mm12345, Feb 27, 9:06pm
I'd expect better too.On the open road, even my m/t n/a TD42 safari does a bit better than 10l/100km.OTOH I've heard the same about the Terrano voracious appetite, so perhaps it's normal.
How many revs is the a/t Terrano doing at cruise speed, and is the OP 100% certain that the torque-converter lock-up is functioning!As well as temperature sensor related problems, or stuck open thermostat, I've heard of ECU related problems with these ATs - some people resorting to bypassing the ECU, and putting a switch on the dash to engage/disengage OD, wired directly to the AT.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 27, 10:49pm
Sounds good. until you consider a Bluemotion diesel Golf will do a combined 3.8l/100km and Europe's diesel is more expensive because they don't pay separate RUC. Also, diesel is only very slightly more expensive than petrol in the U.K.

Going by todays fuel prices in London:

Dacia Sandero will cost you 769.66p to drive 100km (about $14.60 NZ)
Golf Bluemotion Diesel will cost you 531.62 to drive 100km (about $10 NZ)

The Pom's arn't crazy with more diesel cars than petrol cars on their roads.

Incidentally about 10 years ago I seem to remember fuel in the U.K being about 3 times more expensive than in NZ. It would seem that gap has closed dramatically.

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 11:04pm
Useless.in what way! I find it very comfortable and spacious, although, would be nice to have a bit more power.

chalkie51, Feb 28, 7:34am
My owner,s manual states for an R3m-R automatic, 16.6 km/L at 60km/hr constant. Don't think I'm quite getting this from mine!

wasser61, Feb 28, 7:54am
You're still a muppet.

poppajn, Feb 28, 7:57am
Itall started off with a fuel pump leak; then it did a turbo; then it started not changeing gear (auto). I take my hat off to the dealer; he paid up all the way. I alway;s felt it was down on power though. A nice4x4 76,000 k 1st nz owner. I gave up on it at 92,000; next owner did another turbo soon after, something just was,nt right.

serendipitous6, Apr 22, 6:36am
At the moment I have mud tyres on, how much better would it do with road tyres!