How long will car battery run this for

merrigj, Feb 29, 12:33am
I have just got a 3 way fridge and it states DC12V - 75W - 6.25A.Does anyone know how long it would run off a car battery for!TIA.

andrea_w, Feb 29, 12:50am
Not all car batteries are created equal

merrigj, Feb 29, 1:02am
Just a ball park figure would be good.I have a diesel 4WD with a newish battery.

Would it last 1hr during a ferry crossing for example, or would it even last overnight!

saxman99, Feb 29, 1:03am
I get 6 - 8 hrs on a 12v fridge running from a fairly big deep cycle battery. A standard car battery would be significantly less I would think.

gammelvind, Feb 29, 1:05am
Depends on how many amp hours the battery is, and ignore the CCA as that is starting capacity. You are better to get a deep cycle battery as this is designed for this type of use.
Your question requires a lot more information.

gammelvind, Feb 29, 1:06am
Yes it would last the ferry crossing, and maybe overnight, BUT you may not be able to start the vehicle the next day.

merrigj, Feb 29, 1:14am
Thanks guys will just use it in the car getting from A to B then.Thanks for the advice.

tmenz, Feb 29, 1:50am
It should certainly work OK for 1 hour without any problems.

As for overnight:
6.25 amps for 12 hours = 75 amp hours.
With a duty cycle of 50% this becomes 37.5 amp hours.
A 4WD diesel battery is probably around 90~105 amp hours
Therefore it would drain about 1/3 of the battery's capacity overnight. This would probably be enough to ensure that you would have trouble starting the next day.

thewomble1, Feb 29, 2:02am
There is a gismo that fits between thecig lighter andthe fridge plug. When the voltage of the battery drops to around 10.2 volts it will turn the fridge off leaving enough charge in the battery to start the engine. I got mine at K-MART

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 29, 3:34am
Use the LPG. You'll screw your starting battery.

yendor, Feb 29, 3:39am
We just put a couple of frozen milk bottles in our camper fridge while traveling, keeps it cold overnight easily.

elect70, Feb 29, 4:03am
qualitydcfridgeswill cut out atcertaindrain limit so still have enoughto start the engine.i used big chilly box with2 kg dry ice&10kgordinary ice( had my ownice machine ), keeps beer & food chilled for5 days .