Re conditioned motors

trade_to_you, Mar 4, 3:55am
I see some vehicles on here are stated as having reconditioned motors, and state the kms they have driven on the reconditioned as the description. I realise it's easy enough to find the true kms, but my question is, how accurate is it being described as a "new" motor in these listings, from garage to garage a different process! Example I could use is listing # 454313173

jmma, Mar 4, 3:59am
Receipts (o:

saki, Mar 4, 4:01am
A lot of sellers quote "new engine" when it fact it is a wrecking yard replacement, condition rearly unsure.

morrisman1, Mar 4, 4:11am
Depends on what they consider reconditioned. Some think that all that ever wears out in an engine are the rings and for them a new set of rings count as a reconditioned engine.

To be reconditioned means new wearable components throughout (bearings, rings, pistons, oil and water pumps etc), and rebore/crank grind as necessary.

franc123, Mar 4, 4:21am
Ask for the receipts, simple as that, if they can't provide itemised invoices for parts and machining it is very suspect.Personally I find it suspicious that anyone who has just shelled out thousands for engine overhaul would then offer it for sale, it makes no sense to do that. Also remember in the case of mechanically fragile junk like Subaru's its usually the result of thrashing and no maintenance and the rest of the vehicles condition is equally suspicious.

pollymay, Mar 4, 4:25am
I sold a car with full receipts for all engine work. Bearings, rings, cambelt etc

Saw it on trademe a little while later, seller couldn't provide receipts, weird. It played out like that because it was sold to me and I later found a blown set of ringlands so put in new pistons etc to fix it, drove it for a few months then sold it.

intrade, Mar 4, 5:10am
and all cars usually are sold with cambelt done that is usually a lie also not one that we purchased had the belt done or probably they ment it had a new one fitted at the factory you cant trust no one and you just factor these things in the purchase price . Reconditionedengine would need recipts over 4500$ or it be just bullox and lies.

msigg, Mar 4, 5:58am
Nothing is as good as the original engine. It should be ok, but original is best.

trade_to_you, Mar 4, 6:21am
Ok, sorry, I think im proberbly not explaining myself too well, If car A is brand new and car B is also new but has an engine in it which has done 170,000km but it has been "re-condition" and for the sake of argument a top job on the reconditioning. will they be as good as each other!

intrade, Mar 4, 6:42am
if the engine is properly rebuilt then it be like a new engine so it would be better. but if its just got new rings in a worn eggshaped boor then it will be way worse the the car with 170,000km