DODGY car dealer in Hamilton not registered

Page 2 / 2
tonyrockyhorror, Mar 27, 5:45am
Gee, a lawyer talking up your chances! Then that must be the case.

tonyrockyhorror, Mar 27, 5:45am
You said it, pal. I wonder if it was his daughters car and she was going overseas!

jason18, Mar 27, 5:47am
Lawyers see $$$$ so they like to talk up alot of cases!

tonyrockyhorror, Mar 27, 5:48am
A lawyer wouldn't lie.

woody1946, Mar 27, 5:54am
If you Google Yasin Khalaf it comes up as a place name in Iraq---strange !

jason18, Mar 27, 5:59am
hahah Tui advert! Just like David bain isnt guilty.

tonyrockyhorror, Mar 27, 6:04am
They are officers of the court. They have total unshakeable integrity.

gabbysnana, Mar 27, 6:18am
community law dont charge ,their services are free, so suck it up.

jason18, Mar 27, 6:40am
slurp

spongefrisk, Mar 27, 7:54am
If you really want to give him a fright tell him you are going to let the IRD know. the powers they have to crawl up you and investigate are rather powerful

trdbzr, Mar 27, 8:14am
Be weary of what lawyers tell you. They are more concerned about how much $$$ they can make off you more than anything else. If the CGA does apply to him then take it up with Disputes Tribunal and also give a call to IRD and give them a heads up about their activities. Also be sure to keep a record of all communications you have had with them.

Btw, did you get a full proper independent mechanical inspection done on the car prior to purchase!

ryla123, Mar 27, 8:04pm
The lawyer was from community law she has no reason to lie as they are a free service. The car was brought at a fixed price no auctions. No we were stupid and trusted the scumbags word that the car was in perfect condition also we couldnt really afford to get it checked we obviously now realise we should have just done it anyway. Him and his family are all lieing one minute its his gfs dad that is registerd then she quickly deleted then comment and says its nothing to do with her dad then hes saying the car was in nobodys name. VERY dodgy

singing1, Mar 28, 1:15am
I haven't read the whole post but want to know if you have approached the seller with your concerns!

elect70, Mar 28, 2:38am
MVDA wont care as he isnt 1 of them they only look after their ownnotbuyers .Top him off to Commerce commision they will prosecute .DT should rule in your favouras it was obviously not fit for thepurpose . But getting any $ out of him (withname like that )will be pushing it uphill .

tgray, Mar 28, 3:07am
Unfortunately most dealers in NZ are not registered dealers!
And worse still, no one enforces the rules.
Most are the dealers who masquerade as private sellers and you would never know, but I personally know of atleast one major car yard who are not registered as motor dealers.
Again, the powers that be are not interested in doing anything about it.
Just look at t he 'list' of banned traders on the commerce commission website. I think there's 3 listed for the whole of NZ right now.

kazbanz, Mar 28, 7:26am
OP lets see if I have this straight.
YOU failed to get any form of mechanical inspection carried out on the car.
You failed to take the car for a sufficient test drive
Now you have realised that YOU made a big mistake its time to wriggle out of the situation.
Why are you accepting NO personal responsibility for this!

tgray, Mar 28, 8:15am
Sounds a bit harsh from you Kaz!
He bought if off a dealer (whether registered or not, as you know the law does not discriminate) as a classified sale, and it had a catastrophic failurethe next time he drives it, almost certainly from a pre existing fault. Sounds pretty clear to me.
I'm sure you have many customers (as I do) that do not get pre checks or sufficient test drives conducted and we have to stand by our cars. If his story is correct, it is a clear case. The problem is getting money out of people like that.

kazbanz, Mar 28, 8:28am
Toby you are entirely missing my point.
Read the whole thread and at NO point does the OP even hint that THEY made an error in judgement.
I'm not saying the guy that sold the vehicle wasn't a crook.
What utterly frustrates me is people accepting NO personal responsibility.
When their error in judgement becomes clear its everybody elses fault.
If the OP had just once admitted they made mistakes I'd take a different view. But near as I can see its "I stuffed up and need someone else to blame" but not actually admitting any fault.
If I make a mistake the buck stops here.