Buying a used car from Dealer

Page 1 / 3
mzthang1, Dec 10, 4:17am
Looking at getting a car from a dealer, budget is 6-7k.
Its going to be used daily, have 2 children.
What should I be looking out for! Year over KMs or vice versa!
Thanks

mzthang1, Dec 10, 4:23am
Oh yeah what about this cc rating stuff, what does that mean!
Also want it to be cheap on gas.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 4:30am
O.K firstly, for the value of car you are looking at I would suggest considering a private vehicle as well. By the time a dealer takes a margin from a car of that value it can get pricey. not always but often.

Buying a car is all about balance, its a combination of km's, servicing, the type of use etc. Be VERY wary of the many in the industry that say just buy this or that brand and everything will be fine. That is totally not the case.

CC rating is the size of the engine. However this "size" does not necessarily equate to power/performance/economy in this day and age. For example a 1200cc Punto CVT will see off many a 1500cc automatic vehicle of similar size.

If you want a good safe reliable car that is exceptionally good on fuel for the money I would go with a Fiat Punto, especially if you want an automatic. Its not a particularly large car but its excellent on fuel and still very capable on the open road. Should be plenty big enough for 2 kids. That said there are plenty of other good buys in your price range but the Fiat will always win on economy especially if buying an automatic.

Fiat parts are cheap and easily available and maintenance is minimal with a Punto. The model you would want starts in 2000 and your budget should get you a 2000, 2001 or even 2002 in very good condition, fully serviced and ready to go.

mzthang1, Dec 10, 4:37am
Ok great. Yes car needs to be Auto. Have never heard of that type of car, but just done a check and it is a nice tidy and compact looking vehicle.

franc123, Dec 10, 4:38am
Without getting too technical about it the cc rating is simply the internal capacity of the engine, larger cc engines generally develop more power and torque (or pulling power if you like) but what sort of performance and economy you get out of a given engine on the road depends on what car its fitted to, how its loaded, what fuel and ignition systems it has, whether its got a turbo or not, and how the engine and the valvetrain parts are laid out and work together, and how the whole thing is set up by the manufacturer, among other things.

unbeatabull, Dec 10, 4:40am
Jeez, you say don't listen to the people that say buy this or that brand then go on a Fiat Rampage! lol

They are a good car, as suggested I would be looking at a private sale. KM's are generally not an issue so long as it has been well maintained and good service history.

For your price and use I think you need to be looking at nothing larger then a 2000cc.

Either way, have a look through cars here on Trademe and if there are any you like the look I'm sure the guys here on the MB can help out

mzthang1, Dec 10, 4:43am
Ok what about this engine size like 2.0L or 1.6L what is that all about! Is that the cc thing again!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 4:44am
The thing with NZ is we are a bit strange in that we import almost all of our vehicles secondhand from Japan. Oddly that means that Japanese cars are often over valued and over hyped. By buying something like the Punto which is actually exceptionally popular worldwide (was the biggest selling car of its size when new in many countries) you can get more of a bargain.

The Punto also uses a CVT transmission rather than the 4 speed automatics you will see in most cars of its age. The CVT is much much more efficient than the traditional automatic which means you get more economy and power. This effect is especially apparent in a smaller car. Its just like riding a 21 speed bicycle as opposed to an old 3 speed one. The Fiat CVT is super reliable but bear in mind that is not true of some other makes.

The Punto in the link I posted was a manual but you can get a CVT one for the same money. Do be aware the CVT needs servicing every 40'000km so if you can't find a car that has had this servicing done try and get one with lowish km's and get the service done straight away.

franc123, Dec 10, 4:45am
Yes thats exactly what it is, only expressed a different way, eg a 1.6 litre is a 1600cc engine

mzthang1, Dec 10, 4:45am
Lets say theres a model thats 2004 but has over 200kms! check the service history!

mzthang1, Dec 10, 4:46am
Right got it. wow cant believe there are 5.0L ones.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 4:46am
Yes, 2.0L is 2000cc etc
Its a volume measurement same as liters or cc's of fuel, milk etc. A CC or cubic centimeter is the same as a milliliter.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 4:48am
Yes, but again its about balance.
Personally for your budget I would in general try and get lower km's than that, say sticking below 140'000km.
Even though a car will last longer if treated well things still wear out. Year is not necessarily super important unless perhaps it means you get a newer model version.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 4:51am
Not quite what I was meaning. To clarify, there is nothing wrong with recommending a certain vehicle. I was more trying to pre-warn the poster about dealers etc that say things like "you must buy a Toyota because everything else will break".

mzthang1, Dec 10, 4:53am
I see a lot of Mitsi Diamante's and Galant's on here, does that mean they are no good why everyone is trying to get rid of them!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 4:53am
The demio is fundamentally reliable.
However, to compare it to the Fiat it will lack power and economy (a very noticeable difference) because it uses a very old fashioned 4 speed automatic.
With those transmissions you lose about 30% of your economy and power until the torque converter "locks". The torque converter allows some "slip" which makes up a bit for the lack of gears, the catch is it will be unlocked to allow this slip most of the time driving around town.
It also lacks the safety and comfort features of the Punto.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 4:55am
Some are good some not so much, depends on the engine and how they have been looked after.
I think the best thing for you to do is to make a list of criteria. For example power, safety, size etc

The Galant has more room than the Punto for example but will use significantly more fuel, so you have to weigh which is more important size or economy.

mzthang1, Dec 10, 4:57am
So in relation to your post about CVT being serviced every 40kms is that on top of a regular car service!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 5:01am
Yes, you generally do an oil change, filters etc on the engine every year and then service the transmission every 40'000km.
Generally all auto's should be serviced but the CVT needs doing a bit more often. However what you save in fuel with the CVT verses an Auto pays for the service several times over and you also get the extra power and more relaxed operation with the CVT.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 5:04am
To put some rough figures on the difference between cvt and auto a 1500cc Demio Automatic for example will generally use about a third more fuel than a 1200cc Punto CVT for general running and the Punto is the quicker car.

In fairness the difference isn't only down the the transmission, the Punto has a few more tricks that make it more economical as well.

kazbanz, Dec 10, 5:06am
mzthang-- the cc ot litre thing is pretty easy to picture if you simply think of it as milk bottles,medicine or coke bottles
so 2000cc isa 2.0l of milk
Pour that milk into 4 equal containers and there you go -you are looking ata 2.0l4 cylinder engine
Pour a 1.5l coke into 4 containers and same thing a 1.5l engine
Easy innit !

Now power and fuel economy used to be chalk and cheese -bigger engine = more power and uses more fuel
Nowdays the modern engine often can be all things to all men --able to be peppy and economical.

grangies, Dec 10, 5:12am
My honest opinion is they are cheap and nasty garbage.

Built cheap, as disposable units. ( I bet you wont see many of them around in another 10 years from now). Because they'll have been through the scrap metal recycling plants.

The comparative Fiat Punto, may look like a Plain Jane little tin-box too. But they were built like that with a purpose.

Eg--- Fiat kept the new price costs down buy keeping them simple accessory wise. No stupid cheaply made gadgets etc. Just well built plain and practical engineering.

Ok. The engine in the little Mazda may a great, little, reliable ( but very very very very very gutless ), motor. But that's not going to be much help when the body and suspension etc etc etc deteriorates to the point that the WOF inspector fails it with a page long list.

I reckon the new shape Demio's are even worse too. LOL.

kazbanz, Dec 10, 5:16am
Now mzthang. You need to carry you and two kids -but you are based in Whangarei. What kind of driving are you going to be doing!
Just nipping to the shops and daycare MOSTLY with the two kids or regular long drives at 100km/h
Be aware that some bigger cars (1800cc) are actually more economical for 100k driving than a 1500cc equivilent.
K's on the clock and its effect on YOU is in part influenced by the milage you will be driving. If you do big k's you are better with an older but lower milage car of the same make/model.

Also DO talk to YOUR mechanic about makes and models they recomend.
End of the day they are the ones who will be servicing the car.and they have no product to push

kazbanz, Dec 10, 5:23am
This is the OLD shape demio and frankly they feel cheap and tinny to drive. Yes it is a year 2000car but that model came out in 1996 and other than minor cosmetic changes is the same as it was back then.
really you need to look at the 2003 or later versionwhich In my opinion is a huge improvement in every way over the old car.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 5:23am
This assumes you have a good mechanic. Be aware that many just want you to drive whatever they work on every day so they don't have to do any thinking, in my experience they rarely give consideration to any other factor like economy, safety etc. They also dislike anything they don't work on every day as it can cost them a bit of time to look things up.

Sure ask, but take their advice in context and be wary.

A good litmus test for your mechanic could be their reaction to the Punto. The Punto is easy to service and parts are easy to get and cheap. (I should know I have owned and serviced enough of them) If they throw a wobbly and try to rubbish it then its a sign you shouldn't trust them with any car.