End of cheap Jap Imports

Page 1 / 4
lk104, Mar 27, 9:19pm
http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx!id=145384&fm=psp,tsf
Good job, NZ will hopefully stop becoming the dumping ground for all Japans used junk.

sifty, Mar 27, 9:20pm
one man's 'used junk' is another man's good car for the money.

lk104, Mar 27, 9:22pm
Dunno about that, the Cavalier is junk in most peoples book.

rob_rooster, Mar 27, 9:22pm
Downside of this is that used car prices will rise and people will hang on to their pieces of shit for a lot longer so it will backfireIMHO.

sifty, Mar 27, 9:24pm
yeah because they were really high in the import stats.

lk104, Mar 27, 9:27pm
Got to start somewhere, they will eventually die off.
Government shouldnt have started this in the first place, what other country was dumb enough to do this.

alimac1, Mar 27, 9:45pm
Russia and Ireland

ringo2, Mar 27, 11:13pm
Australia and England to name two.

lk104, Mar 27, 11:25pm
Australia dont have Jap Imports

scuba, Mar 27, 11:27pm
north american crap not japanese

pebbles61, Mar 27, 11:32pm
"Mr Matthew-Wilson believes this will lead to people hanging on to old vehicles, putting more unwarranted cars on the roads."

Oh yea, once a car is old that's it, don't bother with the WOF!.what a silly statement!

peja, Mar 27, 11:51pm
Silly maybe, but also true, that is exactly what will happen and is already happening. It may not be sensible but that is what many people do. I have an older car and keep it up to WOf standard, but many people dont

grangies, Mar 27, 11:52pm
Yes they do.

They are expensive due to tariffs, but they still do have them.

pebbles61, Mar 28, 12:00am
I get the jist of what he was trying to say, I just feel owners like us have been tarred with the same brush. I've seen 5 year old cars without WOFs and 50+ with them.

net_oz, Mar 28, 12:12am
Used Japanese imports were a good thing for this country. It got rid of most, if not all of those smokey oil burning pieces of pommy crap. It lowered the price of vehicles so that nearly everyone could afford a reasonably tidy comfortable, good looking vehicle. Personally i don't see anything bad in them.

hairytitties, Mar 28, 12:21am
good bye cheap japanese imports.
Helloimports of cheap new Chinese cars
As one door shuts, another opens

mwahahahahahahahahaha

lk104, Mar 28, 12:36am
They come from Japan.

wizid, Mar 28, 12:57am
iagreeit will be like the old days everone will hold on to there cars .before jap cars came along i own alot of crap cars.

kimbo88, Mar 28, 1:03am
The much hated Cavalier, which thankfully was in the minority of imports to NZ, was the result of an agreement between Toyota and GM so that Toyota could end up marketing a particular model in the States via GM.It backfired big time, and Toyota ended up bitterly regretting it, ending up having to provide support for dogs that led to them being unable to do so, and they ended up washing their hands of the Cavalier.It was a crying shame that they ever allowed the Toyota badge onto them.Cavaliers aside - anybody being pleased about the situation now being experienced here with respect to Japanese imports will no doubt enjoy the lack of choice on the NZ market, the lesser spec'd models that the NZ distributors bring here to sell NZ new, and the lesser range of models available.The best models made in Japan never ever come here as NZ cars in the first place, we only get the bare basics.And as for the emissions requirements garbage - to supposedly decrease the age of the NZ fleet - long term it will probably just result in an increase.Yep, the politicians at the time were real smart with that one - NOT!

bellky, Mar 28, 1:10am
Get a grip man.

Oh hang on.

phillip.weston, Mar 28, 1:45am
Yes they do.

phillip.weston, Mar 28, 1:46am
But came from North America before they got to Japan. Built on the exact same assembly line as the North American Cavaliers, just made RHD with Jap-specific front guards, Toyota badges and tail lamps with orange indicator lenses.

lk104, Mar 28, 1:56am
That what I said they were imported from Japan.

kazbanz, Mar 28, 1:58am
Russia,Ireland,australia,south-
aftrica,UK,rarotonga,samoa, and some other countries who have realised its good economics.But hey don't let reality get in the way of a good story.

lk104, Mar 28, 1:58am
A very small minority thanks to their regulations, if only NZ had taken that same stance.