Give way, road markings but no sign?

Page 1 / 2
daz59, Apr 6, 10:42pm
If theres a triangle on the road and a white line where you pull up do you have to give way even though there is no sign! heading north on SH1 coming into cambridge, if you turn left onto the low level bridge (shakespeare st) there is a trianlge on the road a white line but not sign, If I have to give way then how does the person heading south turning right onto the low lever bridge know that I have to give way!

gadgit3, Apr 6, 10:45pm
Yea give way. A white triangle on the road and white marking on the road mean the same as the sign.

daz59, Apr 6, 10:48pm
How does the person heading souht know I have to give way then!

gadgit3, Apr 6, 11:10pm
Well if there paying attention they should notice it's a controlled intersection and see you are sitting behind a white line waiting

babyonboardnz, Apr 6, 11:14pm
learn your road code

daz59, Apr 6, 11:33pm
Im not convinced, on a wet night you wouldnt see the white line, I have been told there needs to be a sign for it to be a give way. google is no help.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 6, 11:44pm
The road markings have no standing in the Land Transport (Road User) Rule - they are only advisory. Only the signs and signals are regulatory. Furthermore the Traffic Control Devices 2004 states:
A marking may consist of:
(b) contrasting surface texture or colour defining an area of road that is used for a specific purpose and that may supplement,
but not replace, a regulatory marking or sign.

smac, Apr 7, 12:47am
Not just a case of the sign having been hit/removed and not replaced yet!

lordv81, Apr 7, 1:05am
I saw that intersection the other day and was wondering if the car comming onto that slip lane was going to give way to me {I was turning into the bridge off the highway from Cambridge}There used to be a sign,but must have been vandalised or stolen,alot of sign theft and damage happens in Cambridge.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 7, 1:09am
That would be my best guess too.

daz59, Apr 7, 1:58am
Dont think so as there doesnt seem to be a place for the sign to go, looking on google earth (a couple years old!) there wasnt a sign there then ether.

smac, Apr 7, 2:09am
Yeah but has anyone reported it missing! (this message board doesn't count!).

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 7, 2:12am
Link.

daz59, Apr 7, 2:50am
Sorry viewing google earth from Iphones gps maps.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 7, 3:10am
There doesn't need to be a GIVE WAY sign. You still give way because you're entering a through road which continues both ways from the point at which you're entering.
http://g.co/maps/a3vja

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 7, 3:13am
That is to say, the centreline of the road you're entering passes through the intersection with the road you're on. Ergo you are on the terminating road.

gamez0r, Apr 7, 3:46am
Looks like there should be a sign there. I presume it is the council's responsibility to make sure their roads are properly signposted. So perhaps notify them!

ema1, Apr 7, 3:59am
I reckon that's more than likely the case here post knocked out and not been replaced .yet.
But on a terminating road you give way no matter if it's controlled or not since the law changed, the other driver that was mentioned not knowing if it has a Give Way on it, if he/she is up to play will or should know that FACT that the new law now statesgive way at all terminating road ends, sign posted or not!
Lots of folks did so even prior to the law change, having previously effectively two different laws for each case of controlled and un controlled 'T' intersections was straight out madness!
Same law for both .as it is now makes a hell of a lot of sense.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 7, 4:32am
But in this case the OP is assuming they're turning left from the through road onto the terminating road so they'd now have RoW in the absence of a GIVE WAY or STOP sign whereas before they'd have to give way. If however it's taken as the left turn lane being a new road, the left turning vehicles go from being on the through road to being on the terminating road so they give way to traffic going straight. that is traffic that has turned right from SH1.

The regulations have never been completely clear about this situation as to whether the slip lane is part of the original road or a new road in its own right. Take away the traffic island and put the left turn lane at the intersection and it's a different scenario.

The continuing centreline is your only clue.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 7, 4:38am
How was it madness! Left turning vehicles always gave way to right turning vehicles unless a sign or signal overrode that. And vehicles turning right into a terminating road always gave way to right turning vehicles leaving the terminating road unless there was a sign that overrode that.

Signs always overrode the give way rule if present for either vehicle and that remains the same today. It's just that the GIVE WAY signs on terminating roads are now redundant.

We need to stop relying so heavily on signage and start requiring thinking. It's this dumbing down with excessive signage that has lead to the inability of drivers to think.

ema1, Apr 7, 11:19am
That WAS the old law at 'T' intersections un controlled, I don't know why you are beefing on about it as it's now redundant and been changed to align with the law that controlled 'T' intersections had and still have.
Effectively making the law the same for both un controlled and controlled 'T' intersections.
As far as I am concerned having the laws different for the un controlled and controlled 'T' intersections as it was,was madness as lots were vague about what the THEN OLD law actually was , now it's clear cut.
If they have to post every 'T' section with Give Way signs then so be it but that is impractical to say the least, that's why the law was changed but how many will still not know is the point!
At least one law for both is easier to sort than the confusion of the two old laws even though the right hand rule applied in the un controlled 'T' before it got changed and it also brings the new law into line with the rest of the RHD world.
Why the heck the law was changed back in the 1970's some stage to the cocked up law that has been recently replaced is beyond me and most others and was beyond us back then as well.god knows.

As toGive Way signs being "redundant", I just don't believe I actually read that dumb statement!
your quote."It's just that the GIVE WAY signs on terminating roads are now redundant.".utter B/S !

Signs are there for a reason! To make people think and act !

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 7, 1:09pm
The absolute last thing they're there for is to make people think. It removes the need for thought when you're given the answer to the question.
Here's what happens without signage:
http://thecityfix.com/blog/naked-streets-without-traffic-lights-improve-flow-and-safety/

ema1, Apr 7, 1:27pm
Have it your way then if you must I can't be bothered with this crap from you anymore. good night . Your posts will not get any more attention from me.period.I'll bet you even argue for the hell of it with your shadow.

ema1, Apr 7, 1:27pm
Have it your way then if you must I can't be bothered with this crap from you anymore. good night . Your posts or threads you are involved with will not get any more attention from me.period total waste of time .I'll bet you even argue for the hell of it with your shadow.

kevymtnz, Apr 7, 1:31pm
motto! if ya gonna get hit giveway simple