Super Tourers. Petrol headsdon39t forget this we at ruapunanzs answer to scars

Page 2 / 3
bill-robinson, Apr 5, 8:39am
Nearly 20 years of professional motorsport makes me strange to you so be it. What is your motorsport history!

bill-robinson, Apr 5, 8:41am
You forgot to mention at the first ever race meetng for these cars.

dr.doolittle, Apr 5, 8:43am
Ooooo.I cant wait mate. I'll be glued to my telle like millions of others.

Edited to say; Dont know where the devil head came from I didnt do that, honest, not that I'm complaining.

newtec1, Apr 5, 8:53am
Only refering to your strange description in # 18,and yes i have been a petrol head since the 60s,even earlier @ Ardmore watching the GP on my old mans shoulders,but that would be before your time.I did hold an FIA licence for a short time if that's any help to you.

newtec1, Apr 5, 8:54am
In # 25

socram, Apr 5, 9:58am
A TV producer once told me that for cars or motorsport to succeed in the media, it not only has to appeal to the petrolheads, but also to "single mother of two in Papakura".In that respect, "Top Gear" succeeds, Tier 1 doesn't and hasn't for a year or two now.
For Super Tourers to really succeed, once the initial novelty has worn off, it has to broaden the appeal, both on TV and also to the paying spectators and has to engage the local as well as motorsport press.

With Paul Radisich as the public 'face', they have made a great start and he is media savvy.The higher profile drivers will also help keep the momentum rolling, as they too are media savvy, (even Murray Deaker has publically stated that of all the sports people he has dealt with, motorsports people are head and shoulders above any other code) so it is up to the programme and the side shows on the day and also the venues.Ironically, I think the actual cars are almost secondary to the overall success!
Petch want's HD as home base but there are still issues to be worked through and things may be quite a bit clearer after April 16th.One or two people may be anti the demands being made on them, so we'll just have to wait and see if they are outvoted. (Similar issues may well also affect the potential to attract the Aussie V8s and other high profile or international events.)
Super tourers is NOT being run by a very short sighted MSNZ, so lets hope it is a huge success, as NZ really needs a top series to be proud of.

newtec1, Apr 5, 8:18pm
You are quite right,apart from the STs being a top product,it will only survive when personalities are involved.We already had a taste of that in the first round with the likes of Murph,Richards,Johmy Mac etc.that's what will promote the series.There has been mention of other S C drivers coming over which would raise the profile even more,let's hope so.

socram, Apr 7, 9:36pm
Auckland Sunday Star Times newspaper today. Tiniest bit of coverage buried in the "Summary/International/ club sport section".Less than 10 column centimetres of very small type and no pic, on day 1, round 2 at Ruapuna.

The (Auckland) print media's lack of interest is what Super Tourer's and motorsport generally, is up against, as if the general print media isn't interested, it is not going to attract paying spectators.

I have no idea what is in the rival Sunday Herald, but on past history, I would hazard a guess and say, "not a lot".

It is blatantly obvious that local sports editors are not petrol heads and I strongly suspect, are anti motorsport.We can't boycott either paper on that basis, as they are as bad as eachother.

So Mark Petch needs to look far harder at the lack of press coverage, instead of trying to blame 80 freehold apartment owners at Hampton Downs, for a (perceived) lack of income at round 1!

Incidentally, it was reported that Bill Buckley lost a lot of money at the Western Springs speedway meeting last week, which had massive spectator support at $50 a head, so the last thing that Hampton Downs management want, is high profile, high loss events.Better that Aussie V8s and Super Tourers go elsewhere than run a cash strapped development further into debt.

Even a low key meeting with 100 drivers has $15,000 worth of expenses at Hampton Downs (including levies to MSNZ) and it is far too easy for costs to spiral out of control. Promotional costs, a paid CEO, radio advertising, print advertising, on track displays of rubber burners, TV coverageetc all adds up, so if Super Tourers is putting its faith into funding the meetings from paying spectators, it will be a real strugggle without that press backing and a support programme that attracts general motorsport enthusiasts in addition to the super tourer fans.

wrong2, Apr 7, 9:41pm
why do fanboys manage to annoy

newtec1, Apr 8, 2:47am
wrong2.I make no apology if you are annoyed.That is entirely your problem.

cfs, Apr 8, 5:24am
That Petch is involved will - believe me - encourage some motorsport people want to stay as far away as possible.

hi-ling, Apr 8, 5:53am
I watched todays event, or should I call it a parade on TV3 today and have never been so bored with motor racing in my life.The racing, if you call it that, was CRAP, people want to see a bit of overtaking a bit of biff and bash, but this was pathetic.It was just a procession, all 3 races.
I had thought the Aussie V8 supercars were staring to get boring, but not after watching that crap.

socram, Apr 8, 6:04am
Can't argue with that - with the exception of the biff & bash.That belongs on the stock car track.

The fact that someone with the talent of Jonny Reid was unable to overtake lesser drivers suggests that it will be processional.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Muscle cars on TV next weekend, as I think they are probably the most entertaining of all classes.

hi-ling, Apr 8, 6:13am
Yeah the Muscle cars are awesum. Best class of racing here in NZ

bill-robinson, Apr 8, 7:18am
I have to agree. I thought one make racing was bad, two make racing twice as bad,but one make racing trying to be two make racing is totally pointless and not watchable.

likit, Apr 8, 7:22am
Have to agree,it was just a procession.Glad I didn't waste my money or time.

socram, Apr 8, 8:06am
Crowd figures were good at Ruapuna, so is it a class where you need to be at the track to appreciate it!Often it just isn't the same on TV, as TV doesn't really transmit the noise, the excitement or even the smell.Most of those who went to round 1 at HD also enjoyed it.

Best example is F5000.Stand close to the track and that crescendo of noise and the sheer rumble is exciting, even if the racing might be a bit processional at times, but it doesn't televise well.

Conversely, the Wellington Street race televised brilliantly, as with mixed classes, there was overtaking galore.To a lesser extent, Bathhurst of old also televised well for the same reason.

Needless to say, today's race didn't even rate a mention on TV1 news.They don't cover it, therefore it isn't deemed newsworthy, as no-one died.We'll see what is in the NZ Herald tomorrow.

socram, Apr 8, 10:03pm
About 12 column centimetres in the Herald.

likit, Apr 9, 1:47am
TV3 had it on their news,wouldn't waste my time with TV1.

bill-robinson, Apr 9, 2:31am
TV3 have to show it on the news to try and up the ratings of their motor sport program.

socram, Apr 9, 3:17am
Just making the point that as far as they are concerned, Super Tourers doesn't warrant any coverage at all, whether accompanied by pics or not.

newtec1, Apr 9, 7:33am
TV3 had full coverage from HD and Ruapuna,although it was delayed it was full coverage.That's probably why TV1 didn't show it.It's not big enough for them all to cover it,that's why it will need a special promotional manager with the ability to promote it to everyone,and not just confirmed petrol heads.A designated street race with suport races as mentioned in earlier posts may be the way to go.It won't last purely as a stand alone product,but it has the potential to build around it,heres hoping.

bill-robinson, Apr 9, 8:40pm
The problem as I see it is the little word PARITY.
When the meaning of the word is applied to motor racing then racing as it should be ceases to exist. Passing is not possibleas there is not enough differetial between cars. Street racing is a waste of time as spectators are not catered for, and we have race tracks that need supporting or they will close. yeah Newtec1 I was at two Ardmore meetings, remember the noise and the different shaped cars.

bill-robinson, Apr 9, 9:04pm
Sorry, I should also point out that the comments about parity apply to all forms of motor racing.

socram, Apr 9, 9:24pm
We seem to have been overtaken (no pun intended) by a proliferation of one make series, being told that it is a 'fair system'. I totally agree with this post.It merely leads to processional racing.
Who remembers well the David vs Goliath battles of the past, where a small nippy well handling machine was all over the grunters in the corners, only to be overtaken again on the straights!That was racing.
Seeing 12 Suzuki Swifts slipstreaming each other may sound exciting, but it isn't.Seeing 12 Foldens nose to tail isn't exciting either.

When all cars are identical (even to having the driver's seat fixed in position!),then of course it will be processional, as the cornering lines are identical, braking points are identical, acceleration is identical, the engine notes are identical and they run control tyres.

Even in F1 years ago, you could identify the different engines - Coventry Climax, Ferrari, BRM, Porsche etc as they had different configurations and it was interesting.Modern F1 is less interesting.

Far better to promote a series that simply says maximum engine capacilty is 5 litres/3 litres or whatever.But, the downside is that rich teams spend millions and the smaller privateers can't then see the point of competing.So in a nutshell, these one make/identical car series are in to maintain control over costs.

We survive in classics because we recognise the diversity and our own series is 100% handicaps, based soley on track performance, so the very fast well modified MG Midget driven well and well prepared, is (time) handicapped more than the much larger capacity MGB V8, less modiffied and driven more sedately.

I don't know what the answer is for top level NZ motorsport, but currently, it lacks general appeal.