What cars have shocked you with poor quality.

Page 2 / 3
pyro_sniper2002, Apr 16, 10:42am
Uncle has a Bristol 401, pretty damn rare (was at dunedin auto spectacular) if you do a google image search it's not hard to see who else the designer was working for.

socram, Apr 16, 10:51am
"The Bristol 400 luxury car is the first automotive product of the British Bristol Aeroplane Company. After World War II, BAC decided to diversify and formed a car division, which would later be the Bristol Cars company in its own right. BAC subsequently acquired a licence from Frazer Nash to build BMW models. Bristol chose to base its first model on the best features of two outstanding pre-war BMWs, namely the 328's engine, and the 326's frame."
Not the designer working for someone else.

pyro_sniper2002, Apr 16, 11:16am
You get the idea

clark20, Apr 16, 11:58am
Bugger, I better sell my VE now. Wait, hang on, I actually own and drive one, and it's pretty good. Hmmmmm.

a.woodrow, Apr 16, 1:07pm
Maybe you got one 'out of the box'
I was working for holden when the ve came out, the recall and warranty repair was ridiculous for a modern vehicle

scoobeey, Apr 16, 1:25pm
wouldnt want too! The seat that ripped through the mounts(common fault) The back strut stays that ripped from their mounts,The door handles that pulled off, The front door stays that broke.The POOR eartths that caused many faults(wipers not to run). wheel cylinder quality from NEW and the list goes on .

rayzor14, Apr 16, 11:05pm
I'm going with BA Falcon. Bonnet release handle broken at 3 months old (the mere fact that Ford dealer had 2 on the shelf tells the tale). Drivers seat garnish around the electric switches broken from day one. Heater control rod that allows switching from hot to cold broken within 18 months requiring removal of entire dash to replace. Paint flaking off areas around fuel filler, boot channel etc. Rust developing in same area after 15months due to poor panel sealing. Brakes that were incapable of stopping without shudder from day one. Central lock actuators failing within 2 years.

Seriously, despite all that I still like the car but would it encourage me to buy another Ford!

elect70, Apr 17, 1:54am
Had a Nissan Bluebird S/whatch never shut right from new sothey just removed the switch that shows on dash if not shut, under warranty . Could always smell exaust.

djrandomguy, Apr 17, 2:25am
I've owned several Avengers, both Kiwi and Uk assembled and never once had a problem with the doors. If the hinges wear out then you replace or adjust, but the major Avenger fault was the clutch cable pulling through the firewall, fixed by riveting a small square plate around it.

kazbanz, Apr 17, 3:13am
now theres itallian logic for you--thinking in the big scheme of things that the weight of a coat of paint would make that much difference to the top speed or handling

a.woodrow, Apr 17, 3:18am
Same with only coming out with manual winding windows to save the weight of electric winder motors. Much more polite than suggesting "would sir perhaps care to cut back on the pies, then sir's car would go faster"

kazbanz, Apr 17, 3:23am
Funnilly enough Years ago I raced with a 'robust" guy. He spent thousands making his fairings as thin as possible and generally lightening his bike. Yet if he just went on a diet he coulda saved as much weight at no cost.

sharchew, Apr 17, 3:24am
Anything made in CHINA.

a.woodrow, Apr 17, 3:29am
Yeah I've seen that a few times, funny that they don't seem to think about it, particulary on a bike

thejazzpianoma, Apr 17, 4:08am
I find the quality of the paint on even the high end Mercedes is poor. I was waiting for a part the other day and strolled through the showroom to find a 200K plus model with quite noticeable lemon peel.

Not cool.

Other than that though. I quite like some of the better Mercedes. A Class was an absolute Dog though when it came out. not sure if its got any better.

Mostly though. its not the quality but the complete lack of design effort from many cars that are quite sought after which appalls me. That's why I dislike Suzuki Swifts and some others. They were nearly 10 years out of date when they were new, yet people just get swept up in they hype and pay "proper car" money for a functional but otherwise completely lackluster vehicle.

socram, Apr 17, 4:10am
Off the original topic, but one of the most talented UK drivers of the 1970s and onwards, was the late Gerry Marshall.Weighed 17 stone and could pedal just about anything faster than anyone else - as long as he could squeeze behind the wheel! (included Minis too).

#39 - why have the Chinese cars shocked you with poor quality!

foxdonut, Apr 17, 4:46am
Don't laugh, but cutting the paint on the RS 911's and painting the badges on resulted in better aero CD and a weigh saving of close to five kilos.

I don't think its been much of a deal since the NSX-R, and Honda goofed that up anyway by only doing a half thought out job (why bother using mesh on the shift boot vs leather to save weight, but include a button to half lower the radio antenna for reduced drag. Just remove the radio altogether.)

In the days of truly "super light" cars, where every kilo counted and the American market wasn't as fat, adding up all the savings resulted in cars under well under 1100kgs.

Unlike today where we use computers to putt every watt of energy possible on the road the best way science knows how to and load our cars up with useless shit like air bags, virtual telemetry and ipod docks.

(GTR I'm looking at you)

esprit, Apr 17, 5:09am
Which is why I like my little Lotus. Will scamper around a racetrack quicker than a GTR or GT3, with only about 220bhp :)

foxdonut, Apr 17, 5:21am
Would you put money on it and let the same driver test them comparatively.

Sorry, but they'll both dominate your lotus 9 /10 and that isn't fanboy talk.

kowhai19, Apr 17, 5:32am
My parents, it wouldn't drive straight and hit a lamp post, :):)

richardmayes, Apr 17, 5:35am

richardmayes, Apr 17, 5:37am
MY OWN Triumph 2500. Beautiful thing to drive but every single body panel is fully welded in place - not even the outer guards unbolt like on most other cars. I assume it is a cunning English plan to make rust repair as difficult as possible :-/

Oh and I remember in about 2004-2005, seeing heaps and heaps of brand new VWs driving around with one brake light or the other not working. So many of them that it was quite conspicuous.

That's 'Vorsprung durch technik" for you.

esprit, Apr 17, 5:42am
Already have done*, and my car was quicker around the 'Downs ;)

*well not put money on it, but had the one driver test it back to back against GT3 and GTR :)

foxdonut, Apr 17, 5:45am
Then the guy driving was no good.

Unless you're driving a Lotus GT1, both the GTR and the GT3 RS are going to be quicker just about anywhere.

Sorry, its just a fact, not a criticism of you or your car.

What is it by the way! Exige!

esprit, Apr 17, 5:56am
A Lotus Sport S1 Exige, a little bit quicker than your run of the mill 'yota-powered Exige ;)