What cars have shocked you with poor quality.

Page 1 / 3
socram, Apr 16, 8:00am
Going back a while, but saw these higher priced cars in workshops :
*Ferrari with no paint on the inner door panel - rotted out in no time.
*Mercedes (450SL!) also needing very extensive rust removal whilst young.
*Fairly late model Bristol in NZ with a fair bit of rot.

I expect cheap cruddy cars to fail quickly, but none of these three were cheap when new and needed extensive work within a short time.

Has anyone else found anything that shocked them, with high cost cars!

a.woodrow, Apr 16, 8:06am
New VE commodores with leaky door seals that caused electrical problems

rob_man, Apr 16, 8:08am
Back when Todd Motors were assembling Chryslers and Rootes Group I did a lot of remedial work on their products, Valiants with bare metal on the bottom of the doors would be the most shocking thing.

foxdonut, Apr 16, 8:08am
Povo spec bmws, holdens and mercs.

What ferrari was it! Because way back then it used to be a feature having less paint, same as any rs 911. Flagship ferraris used to make do with no more than 2 coats.

gunhand, Apr 16, 8:08am
Ve Holdens, Nice looking and go well but can not see them standing the test of time to well. Ive seen a few what are well looked after but bits of trim are peeling, brackets failing, covers falling off, trim wearing very fast, items rubbing together and scuffing, rubbers falling off, seats worn through and so on. Not that is what the makers think about to much, Prob as long as they last the warrenty time will be enough. But I understand the economics of making cars. You can one that will last forever for a 200k or one that lasts a few years for 50k. Ive seen VBs in better shape than the new ones.

fordcrzy, Apr 16, 8:08am
BRAND NEW JEEP grand Cherokee which had a button break when i pushed it. it fell to bits just like that. unbeleivable for a fully optioned "luxury" 4x4 that was about $90K. oh and the leather looked like it came off a kmart vinyl sofa.

fordcrzy, Apr 16, 8:09am
oh yeah VE holden build quality is epicly poor. shows how good thier marketing department is that they still even sell any.

brokebloke1, Apr 16, 8:09am
+1 here our one is shocking lucky still under warrenty, had drivers rear door window swtich replaced twice now, and boot iid release replace twice also

gunhand, Apr 16, 8:09am
so not much has changed then LOL.

sifty, Apr 16, 8:11am
Bristol.!

As in the same company that made the Beaufighter.!
May have to google the cars

gunhand, Apr 16, 8:12am
Oh and from what Ive seen of the FGs they dont seem alot better.

scoobeey, Apr 16, 8:17am
lada samara biggest piece of shite i have ever owned:(

fordcrzy, Apr 16, 8:18am
moonbeams better than the holden.

franc123, Apr 16, 8:18am
Any of the cheaper BMW's would have to be up there, both the A class and M class Benzes as well. Some of the modern Korean stuff beats it at a third of the price.

rob_man, Apr 16, 8:22am

countrypete, Apr 16, 8:24am
DX corollas with their rust issue (though to their credit Toyota shelled out huge $ in rectification).Late '70's Mitsubishis assembled in Porirua (also VERY rust-prone).SD1 Rovers when they were new.Poor build quality, uneven panel gaps, interior bits that fell off.

rob_man, Apr 16, 8:38am
Yep, did remedial work on DX Corollas too. I think the Thames plant had some leaks in the roof and bare metal shells sat under them over the weekend sometimes.

socram, Apr 16, 8:42am
http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011/03/03/bristol-in-administration/
I think it was this model that shocked me.Beaufighter

pebbles61, Apr 16, 8:44am
Not a car, but Chinese scooters, complete pieces of junk. But not shocked of course.

a.woodrow, Apr 16, 8:45am
No, you really know what to expect when you buy one lol

rob_man, Apr 16, 8:48am
Not pretty is it. Did they use fibreglass bodies!

ninja_man, Apr 16, 8:58am
+1 to the VE. And also the falcons that are rusting away. Not good enough for a new car

mugenb20b, Apr 16, 9:05am
Really! I'll take it you've never seen a Moskvich or a Polonez.

lookoutas, Apr 16, 9:47am
You did those Valiant's too rob.
The junior apprentices did heaps of side-ways miles in the boots of them with a torch, looking for dust leaks. After the dust was stopped, then it was water leaks.
Every new Charger needed the doors & front guards removed, and then re-assembling.
Avengers and Hunters weren't any better.
One of the dealers mechanics got quite good at setting up doors, but he could never get the Avenger doors to open & close nicely. We knew he was wringing the crap out of the countersink screw that held the little round plastic guides in place, and the countersink would expand the plastic. All we would do was back the screw off, wait a couple of hours and take them back - and charge accordingly.
They soon gave up, thinking he should stick to mechanicing.

socram, Apr 16, 10:20am
I did start this thread aiming at the higher end of the market, but the Moskvich ute I had to drive 200 miles ranks as probably the least pleasant journey I have ever done on wheels, other than a 140 mile trip and return, with a 3 ton Bedford truck governed to 40mph!
But we are off topic.
I don't think that Bristol is fibreglass bodied, which is why I was shocked at the state of it, coming from a company with a reputation for very classy gentlemen's carriages since the late 1940s, much beloved by L J K Setright.