Wrestled with a northern toll road infringement

Page 1 / 2
dian2, Apr 16, 2:03am
and won! Anyone!

I'm fuming after just learning that a toll i thought i had paid, albeit 2 days late. has put me in credit for future trip, which i might not use for months, and left me with an infringement of $93! My car was in transit of ownership when i used the road, which is why it's taken this long to hear about the fines that've been accumulating. grrrrrr!

I've also recently been told by my son that he's got fines gathering after doing nothing after the fact that the toll kiosks he tried to pay at at the time were out of order. :/

I'm definitely debating my fines.tho apparently it might take some time for a supervisor to contact me.and i'll have a go for my son too.
Just wondering if anyone here knows of anyone who has already hit this system up for unreasonableness. and won!

unclejake, Apr 16, 2:35am
I have the same problem. Kiosks were down so we tried to pay OnLine but we couldn't due to a previous outstanding amount of $4 from a year ago.

I then managed to pay it all online a couple of months later, but then got a $40 fine which didn't show up when I did the online payment. I don't dispute the actual infringment,

Their system is a childish joke.

curlcrown, Apr 16, 2:36am
Please explain wht you mean when you say your car was in transit of ownership. Change of ownership is instantanoius.

geedubu, Apr 16, 2:44am
I agree, their on-line system is very convoluted.If you let the $2 period slip by, it all gets held up by demands to quote the notice number.Even if you haven't received a notice yet.You can end up going in ever-diminishing circles until you get walloped with a $40 fine.Their system should automatically rollover to the $4 requirement if you miss the deadline, payable via the rego number.

dian2, Apr 16, 2:54am
I bought the car from someone i knew and was driving it for a week on approval before we did the paperwork. So the previous owners are actually the ones that've been hassled by this until now. they should've told me. but ahhh well.

In about 12 weeks it's gone from $4 to $93!!I'll fight against this gross money grubbing as far as i can. Fortunately they're so slow to call back that i've calmed right down and should be able to maintain the 'niceness' i'll need for a reasonable hearing :p

socram, Apr 16, 2:54am
.and people think that tolling Auckland's roads is a great idea!The mind boggles.

dian2, Apr 16, 2:57am
With a bit of luck it might help that this horribly inefficient system has had a bit of negative press recently. Fingers crossed!

dian2, Apr 16, 3:02am
They'll certainly have to polish their act to make that work!

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 16, 3:09am
Why the hell you'd even want to go north that way escapes me. Talk about boring!

socram, Apr 16, 3:32am
Because if you are towing a loaded trailer or stuck behind someone who is a slow as old boots, it is a far better, smoother, quicker, safer, option - which is why they built it.It also happens to be part of SH1, which is/was a joke, especially to tourists heading north and expecting a real road.

dian2, Apr 16, 3:32am
I thought it would be quicker. and therefore cheaper

paulap, Apr 16, 3:37am
I forgot once and got their extra little payment added within the week. My $4 trip ended up $12. I just make sure I am paid up before I go anywhere now.Lesson learnt.

geedubu, Apr 16, 3:38am
Well it actually is a good piece of road, makes the drive North faster & I have no problem with tolls to let that happen.But their payment system needs to be better.

rsr72, Apr 16, 4:02am
It's a primitive, Third World, toll system.
An absolute joke, and overseas visitors just cannot believe we put up withit.
It makes us a laughingstock with them.

intrade, Apr 16, 4:07am
just write in with your proof that you paid and note the day the toll thingy was broken. I once had a fine for late payment and i paid it online it was showing on there. tell em to take the credited off your toll and whipe the fine or it be off to disputs tribunal and fairgo.

dian2, Apr 16, 4:28am
I'll be suggesting something to them along those lines Intrade. tho, to be fair, i was 2 days late in paying the toll, and so would accept paying up to another $4, if they insist.

richardmayes, Apr 16, 4:41am
I've used the toll road twice. Went on the website, paid my $2, went for a drive. No problems.!

It's a good road, sure beats the hell out of driving thru Orewa.

And the online system sure beats the hell out of queueing at a row of toll booths.

bashfulbro, Apr 16, 5:00am
Spending all those millions on that tunnel, has really only achieved one thing, it`s moved the traffic jam further North.

nightsky1, Apr 16, 5:16am
Ummmm
Try sticking to the rules.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 16, 5:21am
I take it that 'transit of ownership' means you'd sold the vehicle and the new owner hadn't changed the registered ownership into their name before you let them take it!

If so, bigger fool you.

skull, Apr 16, 5:31am
We have no problem at all with the toll road system, I opened an account and put the entire family fleet on it and we can go north and south through the tunnel as often as we like. We often give a friendly toot to the queues at the kiosks. Hardest part about it is remembering to take fleet cars off when they are sold.

unclejake, Apr 16, 5:51am
Wow

socram, Apr 16, 7:38am
Of course it has. Apply the same rules, to manufacturing. You fix the bigest bottleneck first.Once that is done, you fix the next bottle neck, and so on. When all bottlenecks are fixed, you have an efficient system.

In terms of roads, you have to keep fixing the bottlenecks until the whole system flows to cope with the traffic needing to use it. NZ doesn't plan ahead, whether it is roading, electricity or water supply.You can't keep importing people/traffic with an inadequate infrastructure, but we do.

edangus, Apr 16, 8:48am
I have only won 1 of them (well 2 as it was a there and back trip) lost about 4 (there and backs).

Paid online about 30secs before the work truck went through, somehow the system did not cope with it.

Stupid.now we have an account so no more probs or infringements

zirconium, Apr 16, 9:37am
Yep, i've sorted stuff out a couple of times, best to ring the 0800 number. Once when the system was down when i thought i'd paid, and then we were remote camping for several days past when we should have checked that we'd paid. I rung on getting the notice, told them what time i'd tried logging on, told them about being away after that etc etc, etc, she just cancelled the whole thing, as they had had a system wide error at the time i quoted.

Good luck on getting it sorted. :(